+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 336 44 Magnum

Tinhorn
    Member #

336 44 Magnum

Was at a show yesterday (2 actually) and passed up a Model 336 44 Magnum. This was a sweet little 20" barreled carbine with a gold saddle ring.
    I couldn't see the serial #, due to the tie on the gun,but have researched that these were made in 1963 and 1964.
    The only thing that I could see that was not original were a sling swivel stud added to the stock and a "clamp" style swivel attachment to the mag tube in front.
    Bluing was 95% and the wood was 90-95%.
    It was on the table @$300 ---
    Does anyone have any experience with this model? Any information will be appreciated.

Wrangler
    Member #

336 44 Magnum

Go back and buy it. If you don't want it, I will be happy to get the sellers info from you.
    I have 2 and a 3rd is always welcome.
    These are great woods guns for deer and blackies out to 125 or so.
    Lightweight, fast shouldering carbines.
    Ranger
    ave you hugged your rifles today ?

Sidewinder
    Member #

336 44 Magnum

sneekpete,

You are correct. Marlin started making a 336 in 44 mag in 1963. They decided on a slower rate of twist. A 1:38 worked well with microgrooved barrels. They even used this twist with the intro of the 444 Marlin. Now everything is a 1:20 twist and cut rifling with six lands and grooves.ß

Sidewinder
    Member #

336 44 Magnum

I forgot. You should have bought the gun. Wish I could.d

Wrangler
    Member #

336 44 Magnum

If they're the shows I think they were, I was there also. Think I saw it, did look pretty good.. Did you notice the 1889 at the one show? It was in the same condition as mine, but had an octogon barrel. I'm not up on them enough, but did they offer a 20" barrel on those? If not, then it was cut back. It had a Marbles carbine front sight on it also, definately not an original. The guy had close to $900 on it. It was a 38-40............Buck
    ove my Marlins

Tinhorn
    Member #

336 44 Magnum

Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda ----------
    I've been kickin' myself all day!
    Thought that the 44 would make a great WV deer gun, and a nice, unusual addition to my Marlin collection. Oh well.
    At minimum, I learned more about Marlins --------------
    Buck --- Massillon and Summit --- yep, we were there. Our semi annual 2 gun show day!!
    Somehow I missed the '89 that you refer to. According to Brophy, 20" was an optional barrel length - records show 9030 round and 97 octagon produced.
    Was it one of the 97??
    I did watch an elderly gentleman and his wife purchase a Marlin 410 lever action (the old style) --- definitely not correct, since it had a '93 forearm. Didn't seem to bother the old guy, even after I told him that it wasn't original. His wife pulled an envelope full of hundreds out of her purse and forked over $900 for the gun!!

Wrangler
    Member #

336 44 Magnum

Sneekpete, It was in the first row of tables along the wall straight in from the entrance at the Massillon show. didn't look at the muzzle straight on and only noticed the different front sight. Overall condition was about equal to the one I have. almost willing to bet it was cut down due to the non-original Marbles Carbine sight. It was too blue to be an older one. Did you notice the table with all the 1877 Colt Lightnings? He had eight of them there in different barrel lengths and finishes, and a couple had holsters with them. More interesting guns at Massillon than the Summit show, too many other stuff vendors there now................Buck :shock:
    ove my Marlins

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

336 44 Magnum

Hi Pete,
    I can't believe what people will fork out for the model 410's, without knowing enough to confirm originality!
    I saw a guy at a local show here, buy a model 36 converted to 410, and although I tried to tell him that all model 410's had the designation stamped on the upper tang, he wouldn't listen. In addition it didn't have the bulbous forearm of the true model 410, but rather the regular 36 forearm. He paid $500, and couldn't believe how lucky he was!
    I saw the same guy a few months later, trying to resell this gun, (as a model 410 again) and when I asked if it would cycle 410's through the loading gate, he said it had a small "problem" and that was why he was asking only $600! I reminded the seller that I warned him, and he looked sorta sick. He took it off the table, but I'm betting it went back oyut after I walked away!
    I can't believe how unscrupulous some people are, and how gullible others are!
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links