Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Finally found the needle in the haystack: JM 336Y Spikehorn!

9K views 53 replies 35 participants last post by  marlinluvr 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after looking for the better part of ten years and a few missed opportunities, I finally scored an original JM Spikehorn 336Y! It came at a tough time financially but the price was fair so I couldn't pass it up. This model was introduced in the 2003 catalog but the serial number indicates the receiver was made in 2002. As such I'm calling this a first-year example. Overall the gun is in excellent condition with virtually no wear that I can see to the walnut stocks or bluing.

As far as modifications go, I knew the previous owner added the XS scout rail but the original rear sight was included. I was a little surprised to find they had swapped the buttstock for an adult sized stock, however. This is really of no consequence as I am planning to convert the gun to a straight stock anyway and that should make it a little easier to find someone to trade parts with. I haven't shot it yet but pulled the Burris scout scope off my Rossi project as shown here: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/t...ject-stainless-rossi-357-lever-scout-sbr.html

I'm hoping to get to the range this week to see how it shoots and may bring my 16" 336SDT for comparison. I have chopped a few guns over the years but have a soft spot for the factory short barrel guns!

See less See more
#3 ·
Congrats, and glad you finally found what you wanted. Good luck in making it 'yours' too... have fun!

#12 ·
Good for you. I have had similar bad luck buying a Spikehorn. Several years ago, I let a nice used one and a new, old stock one slip through my hands. Both were over a few dollars between asking and offering. At the time, money was no problem. I walked on the new one over $15. Dumb! That was some seven years ago and I have not seen one offered since. My consolation is that I don't need it, but they do make handy truck guns.

Enjoy,

#20 ·
Very very nice........I'll trade you my Remlin for your 'old' 'Y'..........mines newer.........good deal............teheheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Reactions: rclint
#21 ·
I am like TR. I am not a fan of scout scopes but it does look good on your rifle. You need a back up peep installed. It looks neked without it.

I really want of of those myself but I just spent all I can spend on a Glenfield 30D I just had to have. So for a while its on the back burner. A range report with pictures would be nice.

Reactions: rclint
#22 · (Edited)
More changes but swapped the buttstock from another rifle and took the gun to the range yesterday for further testing. Handloads consisted of Nosler 150 grain Ballistic Tips and surplus WC-846 powder which throws a nice little fireball. I have a lot of other rifles but this one is my current favorite and will be my go to gun for deer and possibly hogs this fall.

#28 ·
Nice find I got a new in the box one myself never been fired they are very cool I love my short barrels. Widow

#29 ·
I made a few changes so figured it was time to update this thread. First up was the addition of some XS ghost ring backup sights to the gun. After that I decided to swap scopes and installed a Leupold VX-2 1-4x28mm with Burris quick release rings instead. I have played around with a couple of bullet profiles using Varget, BL-C(2) and surplus WC-846 powder but have yet to find the sweet spot for this gun. I really want to use Lyman 311041 bullets so if anyone has a good load I'm all ears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.