• 2 Post By trapper-xx
  • 2 Post By 256WinMag
  • 1 Post By GasGuzzler
  • 6 Post By JBledsoe

Thread: Question about the pins that hold the firing pins in the 336 bolt

Sidewinder
    Member #

Question about the pins that hold the firing pins in the 336 bolt

MO members have always provided a wealth of information when I've posed questions about the 336 in the past, and I'm hoping you all can help me out yet again.

When I've had to change or clean a firing pin for my Marlins (the oldest of which was made in 1977), I'm used to driving out two small roll pins, which have tended to come out fairly easily with a few taps of a hammer on a punch.

I was working on a friend's two 336s the other day (both of which were made before 1952), and was surprised to find that the firing pins in both rifles were held in by solid pieces of steel stock instead of roll pins. Are those solid pins the ones installed at the factory?

Another question. Of the four solid pins, we were only able to remove one of them. We weren't even able to budge the other three, despite using lots of WD-40 and a pretty stout hammer with the punch. Any advice for getting these 3 solids pins out so that we can clean the firing pins in these two 336s?

Much thanks for any advice MO members can offer.

Gun Wizard
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    my advise is if it aint broke don't fix it till it is broke. why do they need to come out? if they need to come out it should not be a problem at all with the right punch.
    94win30wcf and gunscrewguy like this.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Olskool. My friend is getting some light primer strikes and failure to fires, so I figured that a good first step would be to clean any gunk out the firing pin channels in the bolt.
    OLSKOOL likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I've never had an older firing pin apart so this is a W.A.G.... Are the pins the exact same size on either side of the bolt? If not, drive the smaller side towards the bigger side... (stepped pins)...
    dpe.ahoy and gunscrewguy like this.
    Bart

Ninyahwh ting’awh ts’ilting’

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League
    Symptoms of Marlinitis #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 30, 31, 36.

Fair winds and following seas Dad...

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Scorpiusb. Much thanks. As far as I can tell from the one solid pin I managed to drive out, the pins are the same diameter from end to end.

Gun Wizard
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    I have older rifles that I only use federal primers as they are the softest. it usually eliminates light primer strikes unless there is a major problem. as far as driving out the pin it is hard to say without looking at it. I have drove out older ones but it has been a while but I do not remember any problem, wish I could help.
    256WinMag and dpe.ahoy like this.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Those pins can be very difficult sometimes. I have been successful with the right size punch, a good penetrant (kroil oil), and a hair dryer for a little heat. Heat it up a little, apply oil and let set over night.
    dpe.ahoy and Scorpiusb like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    WD 40 would be my last choice of a lubricant. It is great for removing bumper stickers. As I remember, "Cash for Clunkers got rid of a lot of Obama stickers.
    gunscrewguy and dpe.ahoy like this.
    Team Levermatic #101
    Team Shotgun #101
    Team 375 #375
    Team Old Pharts #311

"Post Quick Reply"
    J
    enuine Marlin

Wrangler
    Member #
    You don't need a lubricant to remove seized parts, you need a penetrant. WD-40 is one that will work. There are others that are better.

To the OP....funny you should mention as I bought a 336RC from 1951 last Saturday only to find the front firing pin broken. Yes, mine has solid pins. I thought it was normal until I looked at some YouTube videos of a guy working on a newer one.

Support the bolt over a block of wood with a 1/2" X 1" deep hole and with a QUALITY punch, whack it good. I had luck pushing the rear (long) pin out upward (down with bolt upside down on bench).

HTH
    dpe.ahoy likes this.
    1996 25MN .22WMR
    1988 22" Model 60 .22LR
    1951 336RC .30-30
    Bangin' Blackhawks Member #30
    Team .22 Mag Member #69
    Team 30-30 Member #1328

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

How about a quick lesson in driving solid pins. Solid pins are often riveted by light blows making them very difficult to remove. In removing solid pins, the first hammer blow is most important, strike it hard with a big (heavy) hammer. Not a sledge, of course, but something like a 8 or 10 ounce ball peen hammer usually does the job.
    Light to medium taps will often swell the pin inside the hole making removal near impossible and in extreme cases may require drilling out. Make that first hammer blow count.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links