Marlin Firearms Forum banner

336Y Spikehorn

8K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  SpikeMaster49 
#1 ·
I am intrigued by the 336Y for various reasons, mainly, its compactness. Can anyone throw some numbers at me in regards to accuracy, IE: grouping at 50 to 100 yards, handload preferences, factory ammo, etc. Also, what is a good price for one of these? I have seen some outstanding deals on gunbroker.com. I did a 'buy it now' on my new Model 410 and got it for $363.00. Thanks!

#3 ·
In the long run, I have faith in the Marlin product and no doubt that the Spikehorn will perform admirably. I am seeking comments and criticism, along with actual experiences, in an effort to further enhance my knowledge before making a purchase.

#4 ·
Well for me there lenght of pull is way to small. the full size 336 is tight for me.. I could use about 2 more inches on the stock to make it perfect.. If it fits you and you like it go for it :D

#5 ·
My drilling must have been made for a small person, as it has the same length of pull as the 336Y. It works well for me, even though it doesn't 'fit' when checked the old fashioned way. Food for thought.

G
#6 ·
I bought one back in the summer for my exwife. Since she won't be using it I took the stock off my 1894FG and put it on the Y . It shoots very well with cast bullets and surprisingly well with factory loaded Winchester 150 grain Silvertips. I haven't tried any other jacketed bullets in it so far, but I'm very optimistic :D

#7 ·
I am looking forward to purchasing a Spikehorn as soon as I sell my Ruger 77/44. If I had done my homework ahead of time, I would not have bought the Ruger. It is a great little rifle and plenty enough for the whitetails where I hunt, but the 7 inch groups (off a sandbag rest) at 50 yards were unacceptable. Factory loads or handloads produced the same results.

#10 ·
spikehorn

Roundsworth, I read in some of Jeff Coopers writings that when he was still active at gunsite he was recomending butstocks as short as 12.5" for fast defensive shooting. To me, the spikehorn feels to short. I have handeled some other types of rifles that felt good with that short of a stock. I would handle one for yourself, and shoot one if possible. Regards, Byron

#11 ·
Marlin 336Y Spikehorn

I bought a 336Y "Youth" Spikehorn for my 12 year old grandson and was not impressed. The 12.5" LOP and 34" OAL were OK, but the rifle was too chunky. The stock, forearm and barrel were much too thick. That extra weight helps dampen recoil but recoil was not a problem in this case. Using the youth reloading data at hodgdon.com I loaded 29.6 grains of H4895 and the Speer 130 grain flat point for 2000 fps / 1155 fpe / 28,000 CUP(est). The hodgdon web site indicates 26.0 gr. of H4895 for 2006 fps at 26,800 CUP in a 24" barrel. It took 29.6 grains to obtain 2000 fps. in the 336Y's 16.5" barrel. Also, "Low Recoil" factory ammo is available in the 30-30 as well as other popular calibers like 30-06, .308, .270, and 7mm Rem. Mag.

I sold the rifle. My father recently passed away and I inherited his firearms, one of which is a 30-30 Marlin 336TS "Texan". It has a straight grip, a 13 3/8" LOP, an 18 1/2 barrel, a 37" OAL and weighs the same as the 336Y at 6.5 lbs. The 336TS is well balanced with it's thinner wood and 2" longer barrel. I gave it to my grandson, who is now 13. My intention was to keep him in a marlin. Mission accomplished.

#12 ·
Nitro, I agree......the stocks on these new Marlins are way too bulky. I would like to shave a bit off the forearm and buttstock of my new 410. It would be interesting to know what the logic is, or was, behind the oversized stocks. I wish I still had my 1893s to use as a standard for cutting down my 410 stock!

#13 ·
Roundsworth said:
Nitro, I agree......the stocks on these new Marlins are way too bulky. I would like to shave a bit off the forearm and buttstock of my new 410. It would be interesting to know what the logic is, or was, behind the oversized stocks. I wish I still had my 1893s to use as a standard for cutting down my 410 stock!

Roundsworth,

Ditto on the 1893. The Marlin Cowboy rifles are as close as it gets in modern Marlins, but even they are a little chunky compared to earlier Marlins. The new 1894CL/32-20 and 1894CB-32/.32 H&R Mag look promising.

G
#16 ·
:wink: My 9 year old daughter's Spikehorn groups at 1" to 1 1/2"'s at 100 yards using a Bushnell Banner 1.75-4X32 long eye relief scope (6" eye relief) with Kwik Site see thru mounts. I don't reload so we use factory ammunition. We use Winchester Power Point 170 grain, the rifle seems to like them best. My 10 year old son uses the same set up in his Winchester Trapper 94 but the groupings are not as tight. Had the length of pull reduced to 12 1/2 inches like the Spikehorn.

#18 ·
I just picked up a 336RC last week, made around 1980, and the best feature is the slender, sexy, uncheckered stock and forearm. My 1894s all have bulbous, chunky, overcheckered stocks and feel clubby. Even my 336C feels like it's pregnant. Before it's all over, all four are going to look and feel the same. Slender and sexy! :roll:

Papajohn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.