36 rpp - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree207Likes

Thread: 36 rpp

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    T.S. is correct regarding custom sizing dies. RPP can and will make them given enough interest. I've already spoken to Dave Manson regarding the necessary reamers, but they are a bit of an investment so I've been putting it off. I like my own .36 enough that it might be worth my while regardless of customer demand. It's become one of the calibers on my short list because of its range, power and flexibility.

Also, my young protege just offered the brilliant idea of stuffing the .36 RPP into the AR-10 platform. That has me fairly frothing, but it's going to require a lot more brass. Given the increased capacity of the .36 over the .358 win, and the AR-10's increased pressure capacity over the lever gun, a .36 chambered AR would likely be the most powerful rifle in its class. Titillating...

Hornady makes our custom .44 Ripsaw dies, and while they do a fine job, the cost is $200+ with a lengthy lead time. This time I think we'll keep it in-house and offer modified Lee sets at a significant savings. Regarding brass life, I should think it will be quite good, as we are not stressing this brass nearly as much as a .35 Whelen does. But I have not run mine enough times to get a fair read on that yet.

AD
    khough, Texas Shooter and two80rem like this.
    Ranger Point Precision (Houston, TX) - Lever Action expert, Precision Gunsmith and Machine Shop. We custom-build lever action, AR15 and long range rifles and we design and manufacture Marlin, Henry and Steyr A1 Pistol parts (medium loop levers, day & night sights, scope mounts, dovetail fillers, full-length 444 mag tubes, and more). Some of our best sellers are our Marlin 1894 Pistol Caliber, Short Strokes (9mm, 10mm, 327 Fed/32 H&R, .40 S&W, .44 RIPSAW, .45ACP, .45 Cowboy, .357 SIG and more); Marlin 410 Lever Action Shotgun; Marlin 336 36 RPP (big brother to the 35 Rem); Marlin 336 Ackley Improved and Ackley eXtreme for .308ME handloads (or 7-30 Waters, 38-55, 25-35); Hand-Built 6.5mm Grendel AR-15 Rifle; performance gunsmith services of all kinds from match grade barrel swaps to trigger & action jobs, accurizing, barrel shortening/threading/porting and muzzle brakes along with KG Gun Kote and Duracoat metal coatings and wood refinish work.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I think that this has become my favorite thread lately. 36 RPP starts out in a lever gun, may be moving into the AR platform. Now this is getting to be a caliber I can really appreciate. One day I can cowboy it out with the lever gun on horseback and the next day Rambo it out with the almighty black rifle on the ATV. Doesn't get any better than that!

Adam, PM me the details on what you need from me and the costs involved to get a 36 RPP caliber lever gun in my hands. I have already got the 2017 deer season lever gun slot filled but this 36 RPP lever gun will fill the 2018 deer season lever gun slot.

Now I have to go find and buy a new designer purse for my wife once she finds out I'm spending more money on firearms.

= #201 MARLIN LEAGUE = #399 TEAM 1894 = #057 TEAM 22 MAGNUM = #1097 TEAM 30-30 = #119 TEAM .32 Special = #587 TEAM 35 = #73 TEAM 375 =
    = #351 TEAM 39 = #663 TEAM 444 = #1372 TEAM 45-70 = #167 TEAM 450 =
    #TEAM MARLIN EXPRESS = #74 TEAM SHOTGUN =
    = NRA LIFETIME MEMBER = GREEN VALLEY RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB MEMBER, HOME OF THE BIANCHI CUP CHAMPIONSHIP =

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by khough View Post
    I think that this has become my favorite thread lately. 36 RPP starts out in a lever gun, may be moving into the AR platform. Now this is getting to be a caliber I can really appreciate. One day I can cowboy it out with the lever gun on horseback and the next day Rambo it out with the almighty black rifle on the ATV. Doesn't get any better than that!

Adam, PM me the details on what you need from me and the costs involved to get a 36 RPP caliber lever gun in my hands. I have already got the 2017 deer season lever gun slot filled but this 36 RPP lever gun will fill the 2018 deer season lever gun slot.

Now I have to go find and buy a new designer purse for my wife once she finds out I'm spending more money on firearms.
    Roger that. In your inbox.
    dpe.ahoy and Texas Shooter like this.
    Ranger Point Precision (Houston, TX) - Lever Action expert, Precision Gunsmith and Machine Shop. We custom-build lever action, AR15 and long range rifles and we design and manufacture Marlin, Henry and Steyr A1 Pistol parts (medium loop levers, day & night sights, scope mounts, dovetail fillers, full-length 444 mag tubes, and more). Some of our best sellers are our Marlin 1894 Pistol Caliber, Short Strokes (9mm, 10mm, 327 Fed/32 H&R, .40 S&W, .44 RIPSAW, .45ACP, .45 Cowboy, .357 SIG and more); Marlin 410 Lever Action Shotgun; Marlin 336 36 RPP (big brother to the 35 Rem); Marlin 336 Ackley Improved and Ackley eXtreme for .308ME handloads (or 7-30 Waters, 38-55, 25-35); Hand-Built 6.5mm Grendel AR-15 Rifle; performance gunsmith services of all kinds from match grade barrel swaps to trigger & action jobs, accurizing, barrel shortening/threading/porting and muzzle brakes along with KG Gun Kote and Duracoat metal coatings and wood refinish work.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Great looking gun with impressive performance. I have but one question, how do you come by brass for this fire breathing beast? and at what co$t?

OOPs, make that 2 questions, what chamber pressure does the 36RPP exert? What is a newly manufactured 336C capable of handling safely? I've read guys loading 35 Remington 336C's to close to 4500 FPS MV W/180gn bullets and many have posted that is flirting with potentially catastrophic results, but I am a complete novice when it comes to pressures in relation to reloading beyond not exceeding the max loads in reloading books.

Excuse me if I'm making an apples to oranges comparison here.
    Last edited by MARLINYAGER; 03-20-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MARLINYAGER View Post
    Great looking gun with impressive performance. I have but one question, how do you come by brass for this fire breathing beast? and at what co$t?

OOPs, make that 2 questions, what chamber pressure does the 36RPP exert? What is a newly manufactured 336C capable of handling safely? I've read guys loading 35 Remington 336C's to close to 4500 FPS MV W/180gn bullets and many have posted that is flirting with potentially catastrophic results, but I am a complete novice when it comes to pressures in relation to reloading beyond not exceeding the max loads in reloading books.
    Excuse me if I'm making an apples to oranges comparison here.
    Impressive performance? Yes

Fire Breathing? Not at all. I expected stiff recoil. What I found is the relatively modest recoil of a 35 Rem./30-06. Surprisingly, it is a comfortable rifle to shoot.

Brass is made from readily available 35 Whelen brass that is cut down and formed and loaded using a 356/358 die set. Read earlier posts for specifics. Max pressure is 50,000 psi. my loads run around 48,000 psi - well below 356 Win. pressures.

Remlins are not considered as strong as later model JM stamped Marlins. Read here for more info.- RPP: Custom Marlin Lever-Actions, Performance Gunsmith, Houston

BTW, I would not want to be within 50 feet of anyone firing 35 Rem. loads producing 4500 fps in a Marlin Lever rifle.

T.S.
    Last edited by Texas Shooter; 03-20-2017 at 07:08 AM.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    RPP,
    Unless it's a trade secrete, could you explain "action stretching" using small words that I can understand? Maybe before/after pictures would help.
    Thanks.
    Texas Shooter likes this.

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    RPP,
    Unless it's a trade secrete, could you explain "action stretching" using small words that I can understand? Maybe before/after pictures would help.
    Thanks.
    I taught myself the tricks, but it's probably no more a trade secret than understanding how to build spoked wheels. Not too many ways to skin the cat. "Action stretching" is a misleading term, but I use it for lack of a better one. It's more akin to dropping the tailgate on a truck. You haven't stretched the vehicle, you've just made it easier to load and unload large objects.

In this case the large objects are cartridges that exceed the maximum length for which the action was designed. In the Marlin rifle platforms these are nominally 1.65" for the 1894 and 2.6" for the 336 et al. The 1894s can be roomier than 1.65" but the large platform usually is confined to 2.6" These confines are in the form of two bottlenecks: 1) the distance between the carrier bump stop and the breech, and 2) the distance between the breech and the ejector bump stop. A loaded cartridge must have clearance at both.

In order to fit longer cartridges both those distances have to be stretched. Hence the term. To stretch this distance at the feed, or "input" level, the carrier bump stop can be milled or filed back. Results vary. On "new style" 1894 carriers a lot of extra room can be had before infringing on the rocker button, whereas older carriers are less roomy due to their rocker design. Same with all rifle caliber platforms. The carrier rocker severely limits how much you can mill back the bump stop. Any additional feed room must be gained by milling into the breech below the chamber mouth.

On the ejection side, the cartridge wants to swing out as soon as it hits the ejector bump stop, but it can't if the bullet nose won't clear the breech and/or ejection port. This is often the tighter limit. The ejector bump stop can be milled back some, and the ejector positioning tab can be milled forward, allowing the ejector to slide back in the receiver. For some cartridges this still isn't enough, and a bit of cutting needs to be done on the ejection side of the breech.

If you're a tinkerer, I've probably given you enough information to get you into trouble. But hey, it's more than I ever found in print. Hope it helps.

AD

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerPointPrecision View Post
    If you're a tinkerer, I've probably given you enough information to get you into trouble. AD
    Aw Yes! Very Interesting.
    Texas Shooter and two80rem like this.

= #201 MARLIN LEAGUE = #399 TEAM 1894 = #057 TEAM 22 MAGNUM = #1097 TEAM 30-30 = #119 TEAM .32 Special = #587 TEAM 35 = #73 TEAM 375 =
    = #351 TEAM 39 = #663 TEAM 444 = #1372 TEAM 45-70 = #167 TEAM 450 =
    #TEAM MARLIN EXPRESS = #74 TEAM SHOTGUN =
    = NRA LIFETIME MEMBER = GREEN VALLEY RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB MEMBER, HOME OF THE BIANCHI CUP CHAMPIONSHIP =

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerPointPrecision View Post
    Also, my young protege just offered the brilliant idea of stuffing the .36 RPP into the AR-10 platform. That has me fairly frothing, but it's going to require a lot more brass. Given the increased capacity of the .36 over the .358 win, and the AR-10's increased pressure capacity over the lever gun, a .36 chambered AR would likely be the most powerful rifle in its class. Titillating...

AD
    You know this could be ultimate tool for hog hunting.
    Also, if your willing to consider this conversion on other platforms. How well do you think the .36 would do in a rem760/7600?
    Texas Shooter likes this.
    If common sense were only common

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by two80rem View Post
    You know this could be ultimate tool for hog hunting.
    Also, if your willing to consider this conversion on other platforms. How well do you think the .36 would do in a rem760/7600?
    I see no reason the .36 wouldn't work in the Rem 7600, but I have to admit I have no love for those rifles, so it's not high on my to-do list. Sorry, just being honest.
    dpe.ahoy and Texas Shooter like this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links