+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Poor Mans Alaskan "Co-Pilot" Type 336 in 30-30 almost done! Pics!

Tinhorn
    Member #

Poor Mans Alaskan "Co-Pilot" Type 336 in 30-30 almost done! Pics!

Hi,

I am nearing the end of my project Marlin 336, 30-30. It started as a pawn shop find for $150.00 and has had quite a cosmetic and functional transformation. I first tried working over a really beat up Remington Model 39 single shot .22 , made this;

Into This;

I was pretty happy with the results so I dove right in and started another. I started out by buying a cheap Ram-Line stock and fitting a decent recoil pad to it. I also filled the large void in the buttstock with expanding foam. I textured the fore end and grip of the buttstock with epoxy and filler, finally painting it with a "textured" type finish. It greatly improves the looks of the plastic Ram-Line stock as purchased. I also cut the barrel down to 16.25", re-crowned with recess and silver soldered a NECG banded ramp sight onto the new tube length. I like the way it looks on the lever gun, hope you do too! I have the rear peep sight on order and along with a Burris "Short Mag" IER scope on a Scout Mount with Talley QD rings I will have redundant sights appropriate for the caliber, 30-30 of course. Why mess with a classic? Laugh! I did a complete action job from barrel lap & polish to trigger job, it breaks cleanly at exactly 2 lbs.

It was a 1974 built gun so it really had a decent trigger when I started. All of the bearing internals were hand stoned and polished where appropriate. I even lapped the magazine tube for smooth operation. The mag tube was cut down to 13.5" and the capacity is now 4 plus 1 instead of 6 plus 1.

The little gun points and balances very very well. It is really light and should make a great truck or boat gun. I degreased everything including the screws, 40PSI of aluminum oxide and matte stainless steel Gun Kote baked on at 310 deg for an hour with a Mil-Tec lube bath afterwards gives it a tough, glare free industrial finish that requires little care in the field.

This should be a nice little deer or hog rifle. I cant wait to finish up my Marlin 45-70 GG in a similar fashion. I did have Bob Cogan put his industrial matte chrome on it. He is the master of this finish and it will serve me well on Kodiak , Afognak and Raspberry Islands in Alaska where I often hunt. I have always been a shooter but have really enjoyed these little gunsmithing projects.

I plan on customizing my .45 LC Bisley next. Enough chatter, here are the pictures of my beginner efforts in making a great gun even better

Started with this;

Here are the results so far, I will finish it up today and post some of the assembled photos and after I finish the modified front barrel band clamp/sling swivel mod;

Hope you enjoyed looking at my new found hobby. What fun!

Thanks and God Bless

Jerry

NW Connecticut
    AlaskaDawg likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #

Re: Poor Mans Alaskan "Co-Pilot" Type 336 in 30-30 almost done! Pics!

That's some nice work!!
    Hunting is one of lifes greatest challenges.

Team 45/70 Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Nice job Jerry that 336 looks sweet! That 22 looks like a clone to a springfield I own right down to the front sight and groove in the forestock. Even the nut that locks the barrel in the stock. Have a slot in it? Super smooth bolt and still a shooter.
    Lou

Quote...
    "Marlin is gone forever. All that remains is the Trademark Marlin name that someone put's on their inferior products!" LEVER ADDICT

Team 45-70 #3 Team 44-40 #5
    Team 35 #327 Team 30-30 #340
    Team 38-55 #2 Team 1894 #273

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

Very nice! Tell me about that front sight?
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Team 45/70 Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

BTW. I love the finish on that 336.
    Lou

Quote...
    "Marlin is gone forever. All that remains is the Trademark Marlin name that someone put's on their inferior products!" LEVER ADDICT

Team 45-70 #3 Team 44-40 #5
    Team 35 #327 Team 30-30 #340
    Team 38-55 #2 Team 1894 #273

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Looks good! I'm all for diving in and just doing stuff yourself. I really like the Gun Kote and the front sight. And that stock looks like it has some serious grip to it! Should be a nice handy, worry free rifle.
    DON'T TREAD ON ME

Tinhorn
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 3030man
    That's some nice work!!
    Thanks 3030man, I appreciate the comment. I sure wont get rich doing it at the pace I go. I started this little "Project" a year or so ago but it has remained untouched for many months. There are no decent aftermarket synthetic stocks for the 336 anywhere. The Ramline stock is generally a POS but if you work it over it can be made acceptable. I would say I spent the most time on it. I did build a fiberglass form for my 1895GG and built a fiberglass stock for it.

I really like the 45-70 but sometimes the little 30-30 is just perfect for bouncing around the woods or strapping to your 4 wheeler for a ride during deer season. Here is a photo of my guide gun, I did everything to it myself except for the industrial chrome plating, Bob Cogan at Accurate Plating did it for me last year. He is the man when it comes to what I consider the best, most rust resistant finish there is. He has the contract for all of the hard chrome Kel-Tec's sold!

Here is my homemade fiberglass GG buttstock and fore end before the Kick-EEZ recoil pad install, 14.5 LOP;

Tinhorn
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Leverdude
    Very nice! Tell me about that front sight?
    Hey Leverdude,

Its from New England Custom Guns, their "Masterpiece" banded ramp sight. I bought it for my 45LC Ruger Bisley project but was playing around with it and decided it would look cool on a levergun. I had to make a .012 shim for it but you can buy the correct size for a slip fit from Brownells or Midway. I used a little $5.00 silver solder kit from Airgas welding supply to attach it.

NECG, they arent cheap but nearly all of the custom dangerous game rifle builders use them, they are the "Gold Standard" in banded ramps. Lots of insert heights and materials available. They are made of mild steel, consequently , very easy to work with. Here is a link to the NECG website for you.

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

Tinhorn
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by lever addict
    BTW. I love the finish on that 336.
    Thanks Man, its actually quite easy to do. I was really impressed the first time I used this stuff. I tried to scratch it with a key from my keyring and couldent do it! For a DIY finish its simply the best. Here is my little Gunkote "Oven" I made out of a Goodwill store toaster oven and some tile backer board. The key to success with this stuff is to use aluminum oxide in your bead blast cabinet. Its harder than Japanese arithmetic when applied correctly.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Beautiful!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links