+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tinhorn
    Member #

Accuracy of a Marlin 336CS in .30-30

OK, I need some help... I recently acquired a 336CS in .30-30 and I have challenged a couple of friends to an 20 round offhand match at 100 yds. One guy will be using a M1 (.30-06) and the other a Winchester chambered for .308.

We all are old jarheads and I was on the All Marine Team for the Nationals at Camp Perry some 50 years ago. I am familiar with what a .30-06 can do as I have shot many groups less than 4" for 10 rounds at 200 & 300 yards. The ballistics for the .308 are a little faster yet so I assume the accuracy is about the same or maybe a little better at those distances.

I was told by these fine opponents that I would probably not be able to keep 10 rounds in a 6" circle at 100 yards, at best. Is this true? If it is, my mouth has gotten me in a bunch of trouble. Braggin rights are in serious jeopardy...

I will be a guest at the range we will be firing at and I am restricted to firing on the bench only, no exceptions. With this restriction, we all will be using benchs with sand bags so holding steady should not be a problem. Now we're pretty much down to the accuracy of the rifles involved. I have never fired this rifle and will be sighting in my scope prior to the match.

I will be using Remington Core-loc 150 gr. rounds as no hand loads are permitted.

WHAT CAN I REALLY EXPECT TO GROUP AT 100 YARDS. I WILL BE USING A 3-9 LEUPOLD SCOPE.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
    Garden City, MI

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Accuracy of a Marlin 336CS in .30-30

I'v seen Marlin 336 in 30-30 that would not do any better than 6 inch 5 shot group from a bench at 100 yards with certain loads and I have seen a few that will shoot one ragged one inch hole with the right factory load.You sound like a seasoned shooter,you know the right load for that particular rifle means a lot and undue preasure on the forearm and barrel band needs to be relieved to get the most from an off the shelf 336.I hope you didn't bet much money on an untried rifle ammo combination.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Good advice... Looks like I have to shoot and see what I have, eh. I understand the importance of the forearm and band pressure but are there any guide lines to set up prior to shooting. Can I check to see if things are too tight in advance? I am reloading shells now with one of my pals to learn the tricks but finding the right ammo for this gun won't be possible till later in the summer, regretfully. The gun is a mint 2000 model that I can't find a flaw on. I throughly cleaned her and she is just like new...
    CYA, Joe
    Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
    Garden City, MI

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Woodchuck,
    I have two 336s in 30-30 and they both shoot well, especially from a bench rest such as you describe. I would think that you should be able to get a group of four inches or much less with no problem. Just as you did in the Corp, hold 'em and squeeze 'em. I was very suprised at how well these lever actions shoot. When you get your scope mounted and zeroed you will probably be as amazed as I was with mine. Good shooting and Semper Fi!!!!!('64-"6

Tinhorn
    Member #

Hogbear... Boy do I hope your right! Semper Fi 56'-60'
    Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
    Garden City, MI

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

A 336 in good condition that is fed a round that it likes should be capable of 1 to 1.5 MOA. That's considerably better than 6" at 100 yards.

FWIW, I just took my new 336A (with factory cheap-o 3-9x scope) out for its first range trip yesterday. Oddly enough, I was using the same factory ammo that you specify -- Remington Core Lokt 150 gr. I was able to get groups where the shots were touching at 50 yards from the bench. Meaning -- the rifle/ammo combination is pretty much capable of shooting as well as I can, and ought to be capable of much better than 6" at 100 yards in competent hands. I mean, I was only an Army guy (Infantry, qualified Expert rifle) -- you oughta be able to do better than that, right?
    Come And Take It
    --
    Sigh, this traveling show has left Tx (for now) and has landed in Fl. Hey, at least it is still in Free America.

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Well, you first said 20 rounds offhand, and that is a function of how steady you can hold the gun. Then you said shooting off a bench with sandbagged rest. With that, you should shoot under 2" and possibly closer to 1" depending on how good a shooter you are.

My one Glenfield 30-30 really likes 150 gr Core-Lokt's and it will shoot 1" or better.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Tinhorn
    Member #

Your given me great news, guys...

This whole thing started as an offhand challenge but with range restrictions for guests, like me, I have to use a bench only. Even though 50+ years have passed, I think I can still hold with the help of a bench, sand bags and a 3x9 power scope. The bench replaces the body, the sand bag replace the arms and the scope replaces the eyes but I can still hold my breath for a few seconds before I pass out.

Not the same as a Gold medal when your 19 and fearless, eh.... Oh well, days gone by...

Thanks again,
    Joe
    Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
    Garden City, MI

Site Contributor & Team 444 Co-Captain Contributing Member
    Member #

Woodchuck, one bit of advice I will offer is don't shoot it from the get go with a clean barrel, it's been my experience that Marlins like to be a little dirty first, seems to tighten up the groups. At a hundred yards you should be able to IMPRESS the daylights out of them two fellers shooting with you..30-30s' have a rep as a short yardage weapon, that is not really true. At 100 yards the 30-30 is very much at home and good with stock ammo to 200+ if the shooter knows his/her rifle. The Marlin 30TK 30-30 I have with Federal 170 RN power-shok and a fixed 4x will do under 1 moa at 100yds 5 round group and it's stock. For your viewing pleasure I'll post this one and only 5 round group I shot at 300 yards off a front bag rest using Hornady 160 gr. LeverEvolution in a Marlin 336W 30-30, had a trigger job done to it and the pull is about 2 5/8 lb. Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 mil-dot scope. That ought to boost your confidence!! Good luck and good Shooting to you sir! Go get 'em. Mr fixit
    TO ARMS!!
    Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Team 444 Co-Captain
    Member #168 1994 444SS

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-----Thomas Jefferson
    wisconsin-mo-ers

Tenderfoot
    Member #

I read somewhere that the best accuaracy with a 336 is with 170 grain ammo. I have not tried this in mine but maybe something you should. good luck!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links