Well, told my better half I'd fund the new Ruger #1 35 Whelen by selling 'something'. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Well, told my better half I'd fund the new Ruger #1 35 Whelen by selling 'something'.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    ... and as strange as it may seem,... I actually prefer the 'standard ' grade Marlin lever guns. Also, I tend to SELL nicer or unfired guns if you can believe that. Believe me I have stumbled across some rare guns and sold them to collectors because I didn't want to have to be so careful with something that a first scratch might degrade the value a few hundred dollars. Also, I enjoy 'fixing stuff'.

As an old mentor gunsmith buddy used to say: "I pay more if it's broken."
    dpe.ahoy likes this.
    I wish I had all the Marlins I've had!...(well a few of them anyway).
    -- 66 and still climbing trees to hunt, but a LOT more cautious doing it now!!!.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    This rifle is a perfect example of why I will buy only JM stamped guns. The quality of craftsmanship is so much higher its crazy. To get a similar configuration new(ish) gun you need to get into a stainless XLR. The last one of those I've seen had an asking price of nearly 2 grand and honestly I'm not sure Remington ever made one in 35. The one I saw WAS a JM gun. I don't keep up with the Remington production line. Here this rifle is still sitting at $475 which is still a fairly typical price range for an older A or SC rifle. I'd think the A DL should bring at least another hundred or two. Sadly I'm not in a position to buy as we are badly in need of new tires AND a new dishwasher. About $2500 in far more important needs and I can't afford those either.
    Alan in GA and dpe.ahoy like this.
    Thoughts on Remlins: The day I walk into a sporting goods and honestly mistake a Remlin gun for a JM gun, THAT will be the day I think about buying one. Until then, they can keep 'em.

Words to live by: Just because something is primitive, doesn't mean it has to be crude. Just because something is custom, doesn't mean it's quality.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan in GA View Post
    Well to be honest I did not ask her - I just told her. I think it was right in my own mind as I have 10 Marlins I've purchased over the past couple years and have not shot a one of them! My local shooting places have all been developed and are subdivisions now!
    I understand. I have a self-imposed limit on the number of firearms I own, and when I get "gun lust" for something... I boot one or two of my existing guns out. Lately that hasn't been happening, and my inventory is at a pretty high level. Need to fix that by selling a few.

On the Number One... Oh my goodness I like those things. Silly me, I let several of them go over the years but have held on to my favorite, a "Tropical" in .375 H&H that I've used mostly as a black bear rifle. It's so handy, and I've shot bear with it at ranges from 10 - 15 feet out to 320 yards. Accurate? You bet!

I can enjoy and appreciate a good rifle built on pretty much any type of action: lever, bolt, single-shot... There are nice ones of every type.

So, good luck on your sale, and your purchase! I'm pretty sure you'll be smiling when you touch off that .35 Whelen single shot!

Regards, Guy

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    This talk of unfired purchased Marlins finally did it - I just called the range/Sportsmens club an hour away and I'm set to join. Now to get these other Marlins out, shot, and enjoyed!
    dpe.ahoy and miner_luke like this.
    -- 66 and still climbing trees to hunt, but a LOT more cautious doing it now!!!.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan in GA View Post
    This talk of unfired purchased Marlins finally did it - I just called the range/Sportsmens club an hour away and I'm set to join. Now to get these other Marlins out, shot, and enjoyed!
    There ya go! I can't wait for warmer weather to get a few out and warm the barrels. Tired of winter and it just started, we just got 3 more inches of snow last night, haven't had enough warm weather to melt the 14-15 we had on the ground, though it has settled some. DP
    TEAM 444 #187, Team 35 #7, Two Marlin 1894Cs, Remlin 1894C, 1894-44mag, 1952 Marlin 30-30, 1966 Texan 30-30. Glenfield 36G & two 30A's 30-30, 30-30 XLR, , five- 35rem. 1951 SC, 1952 SC, 1957, 1975 and 2008, 38-55 CB, M-375, 308 MX, 338MXLR, 444P, 444SS, , XS-7 22-250, XS-7 7mm-08 AI,

Sidewinder
    Member #
    lol.. I just told my wife " Ya know, one day I'm gonna have a completely custom revolver done. Engraved and everything...." She's says, "That'll be neat."
    I didn't tell here that I've stashed about a grand so far and I have plans to start in on it in the next year or sooner.

A year ago I told her "Babe, I think I need a new shop. Maybe something like a 30'x40' with big roll up doors and a car lift." Reply. "That'd be a nice place for all your car and motorcycle stuff."
    They'll be here in the next 2 weeks to build it.
    Boy will she be surprised.
    Alan in GA, 2bytandem and dpe.ahoy like this.

444SS
    X7 in 308
    25M
    336Y Laminate 30-30

"See, I'm a man of simple tastes. I like gunpowder...and dynamite...and gasoline! Do you know what all of these things have in common? They're cheap!" - The Joker

Gunfighter
    Member #
    42 'watchers', 531 views,...and one bid. Curiously interesting to watch auctions! Turbobug maybe you'll get an ADL 35 for a great price!?
    turbobug likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by alan in ga View Post
    42 'watchers', 531 views,...and one bid. Curiously interesting to watch auctions! Turbobug maybe you'll get an adl 35 for a great price!?
    i knew it was going up ,congrats.
    Alan in GA likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    You WHAT!!!! Just buy the darn thing!
    Chipmaker

USN 1967 - 1993
    Marlins:
    1895 GS
    336 30-30
    1894 44 mag
    1894 357 mag
    39A

Sidewinder
    Member #
    So did a MO member win this auction? Inquiring minds want to know. I would have liked to have it, but just didn't have the funds at the moment.
    Brian.
    Alan in GA and miner_luke like this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links