Well, told my better half I'd fund the new Ruger #1 35 Whelen by selling 'something'. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Well, told my better half I'd fund the new Ruger #1 35 Whelen by selling 'something'.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I don't understand why folks get all gaga about a lever gun that doesn't have a mag tube.

BB
    Alan in GA, rob42049 and 021 like this.
    444 - Member# 638
    45-70 - Member#
    375 WIN - Member# 4
    35 Rem - Member# 578

Please forgive me, I bought a Remlin and I like it.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbean View Post
    I don't understand why folks get all gaga about a lever gun that doesn't have a mag tube.

BB
    For me it's the slim appearance. Like when I thought the then 'new' style of the first Ruger 77 bolt rifles (1968?) was cool what with the slick barrels with no sights. I've come to like open sights but for best bullet placement my eyes need a scope. I used to say "if the scope breaks I'll change to another rifle". Of course it is good that one has open sights when another rifle is not at hand like on an extended hunting trip.
    I just like the short mag tubes..... not sure why. I guess I prefer to have at least part of the barrel 'clean'. I think most hunts are over after one or two shots anyway. However, given time, I've changed my 'preferences' before, too!
    BTW: I'm about half and half on the full length vs half length mag tubes as far as the dozen Marlin lever guns I have in the safe.
    Last edited by Alan in GA; 01-10-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    256WinMag, M700 and dpe.ahoy like this.
    I wish I had all the Marlins I've had!...(well a few of them anyway).
    -- 66 and still climbing trees to hunt, but a LOT more cautious doing it now!!!.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Nice!

Hey, does the fore end have a filled screw hole near the front just aft of the end cap?
    Alan in GA likes this.
    Thoughts on Remlins: The day I walk into a sporting goods and honestly mistake a Remlin gun for a JM gun, THAT will be the day I think about buying one. Until then, they can keep 'em.

Words to live by: Just because something is primitive, doesn't mean it has to be crude. Just because something is custom, doesn't mean it's quality.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I don't think so I'll double check when I get home today!
    -- 66 and still climbing trees to hunt, but a LOT more cautious doing it now!!!.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Just wondering. I saw a round spot that looked like a filled hole.
    Alan in GA likes this.
    Thoughts on Remlins: The day I walk into a sporting goods and honestly mistake a Remlin gun for a JM gun, THAT will be the day I think about buying one. Until then, they can keep 'em.

Words to live by: Just because something is primitive, doesn't mean it has to be crude. Just because something is custom, doesn't mean it's quality.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Just looked and you are right, it does look like a round hole.....when viewed from the side as in the first picture. Thought I'd really overlooked a flaw. Well it is a flaw but not a drilled/filled hole, it's an oil darkened 'dent'. Posting a better picture as soon as I can ad to the ad [minutes].
    You guys realize how you are making this a bit more difficult,.... every time I get it out and handle it for pictures...... it calls to me! LOL.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Took 3 pictures and will post one that shows the dent better.
    Actually I'm more than happy to. My tendency is to show all the flaws as clearly as I can, so there are no 'surprises' to any buyer.
    dpe.ahoy likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Best way to sell a gun and have a happy buyer. Show all the blems.
    Alan in GA and dpe.ahoy like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I would scream too.
    Alan in GA and dpe.ahoy like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Referring to the title,.. you have to ask yourself, if she's making you get rid of a rifle is she really the "better half"? Have you ever made her sell a rifle to buy something she wanted?
    Maybe you're the better half.

I have to remind my wife everyday who the better half is and just how lucky she was to land a fella like me.
    Alan in GA likes this.

444SS
    X7 in 308
    25M
    336Y Laminate 30-30

"See, I'm a man of simple tastes. I like gunpowder...and dynamite...and gasoline! Do you know what all of these things have in common? They're cheap!" - The Joker

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Well to be honest I did not ask her - I just told her. I think it was right in my own mind as I have 10 Marlins I've purchased over the past couple years and have not shot a one of them! My local shooting places have all been developed and are subdivisions now!
    Last edited by Alan in GA; 01-11-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links