+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42


  1. #1
    Wrangler
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Missouri (Proudly born & raised in Florida though)
    Posts
    299
    Member #
    8555
    Thanked
    1 times

    150 grain vs 170 grain .30-30

    A friend of mine was telling me that he uses 150 grain .30-30s when deer hunting. I know that works and all but I asked him why he doesn't use 170 grain. He said the ballistics of the 150 grain are why he uses them, he feels it provides better performance. He's been on a lot of successful deer hunts, but what's better for deer?
    It might be a random personal preference but I find it weird.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's Liberty, Teeth, and Keystone under Independence." George Washington

  2. #2
    Marlin Marksman
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Chester, SC
    Posts
    1,245
    Member #
    1346
    Thanked
    207 times

    Re: 150 grain vs 170 grain .30-30

    My advice is always pick the one that shoots best in your rifle. The difference in performance between the two weights is small enough that accuracy is really all that matters when I choose a load.
    Pisgah
    ------------------
    "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

  3. #3
    Sidewinder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    154
    Member #
    8070
    Thanked
    1 times

    Re: 150 grain vs 170 grain .30-30

    Quote Originally Posted by DeerK
    A friend of mine was telling me that he uses 150 grain .30-30s when deer hunting. I know that works and all but I asked him why he doesn't use 170 grain. He said the ballistics of the 150 grain are why he uses them, he feels it provides better performance. He's been on a lot of successful deer hunts, but what's better for deer?
    It might be a random personal preference but I find it weird.
    I read the 150 grain has a slightly flatter trajectory than the 170 grain. In other words, its slightly more accurate but provides slightly less knockdown power.

    Fred
    The ideal rifle is:

    1) extremely accurate, an inaccurate rifle is worthless

    2) has massive knockdown power. The target should drop on the spot or not run more than 25 yards at most. It should die fast, not die slow.

  4. #4
    Wrangler
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Missouri (Proudly born & raised in Florida though)
    Posts
    299
    Member #
    8555
    Thanked
    1 times

    Re: 150 grain vs 170 grain .30-30

    Quote Originally Posted by RayadoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerK
    A friend of mine was telling me that he uses 150 grain .30-30s when deer hunting. I know that works and all but I asked him why he doesn't use 170 grain. He said the ballistics of the 150 grain are why he uses them, he feels it provides better performance. He's been on a lot of successful deer hunts, but what's better for deer?
    It might be a random personal preference but I find it weird.
    I read the 150 grain has a slightly flatter trajectory than the 170 grain. In other words, its slightly more accurate but provides slightly less knockdown power.

    Fred
    So what would ou prefer to hunt deer with at under 200 yards?
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's Liberty, Teeth, and Keystone under Independence." George Washington

  5. #5
    Sidewinder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    154
    Member #
    8070
    Thanked
    1 times

    Re: 150 grain vs 170 grain .30-30

    Quote Originally Posted by DeerK
    Quote Originally Posted by RayadoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerK
    A friend of mine was telling me that he uses 150 grain .30-30s when deer hunting. I know that works and all but I asked him why he doesn't use 170 grain. He said the ballistics of the 150 grain are why he uses them, he feels it provides better performance. He's been on a lot of successful deer hunts, but what's better for deer?
    It might be a random personal preference but I find it weird.
    I read the 150 grain has a slightly flatter trajectory than the 170 grain. In other words, its slightly more accurate but provides slightly less knockdown power.

    Fred
    So what would ou prefer to hunt deer with at under 200 yards?
    Slightly under 200 yards? Id opt for Hornady LE ammo instead of the regular 150 or 170 grain 30.30 ammo. Hornady LE is specifically made for ranges over 100 yards, out to 200 yards.

    Fred
    The ideal rifle is:

    1) extremely accurate, an inaccurate rifle is worthless

    2) has massive knockdown power. The target should drop on the spot or not run more than 25 yards at most. It should die fast, not die slow.

  6. #6
    Sidewinder
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    232
    Member #
    8239
    Thanked
    8 times

    Re: 150 grain vs 170 grain .30-30

    Quote Originally Posted by RayadoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerK
    Quote Originally Posted by RayadoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerK
    A friend of mine was telling me that he uses 150 grain .30-30s when deer hunting. I know that works and all but I asked him why he doesn't use 170 grain. He said the ballistics of the 150 grain are why he uses them, he feels it provides better performance. He's been on a lot of successful deer hunts, but what's better for deer?
    It might be a random personal preference but I find it weird.
    I read the 150 grain has a slightly flatter trajectory than the 170 grain. In other words, its slightly more accurate but provides slightly less knockdown power.

    Fred
    So what would ou prefer to hunt deer with at under 200 yards?
    Slightly under 200 yards? Id opt for Hornady LE ammo instead of the regular 150 or 170 grain 30.30 ammo. Hornady LE is specifically made for ranges over 100 yards, out to 200 yards.

    Fred

    And LE is 160 grains (right in the middle of your 150 or 170 question).
    '91 30AS - Team 30-30, Member #17

  7. #7
    Tinhorn
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    pa
    Posts
    97
    Member #
    6563

    Re: 150 grain vs 170 grain .30-30

    I have killed deer with both, though I havent used the LE's yet. I rarely shoot more than 70 yards, I use 170's. The biggest deer I have ever shot dressed out a bit under 200lbs and that fell to a 150gr corelokt that shattered its shoulder/arm and took out its vitals. Use what u and your gun like.
    Meats of choice; venison, wild hogs, rabbits
    Guns of choice ; .35 rem, 30-30, 30-06 in a Remington 760

  8. #8
    Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Middleburg, FL
    Posts
    9,468
    Member #
    7091
    Thanked
    95 times

    Re: 150 grain vs 170 grain .30-30

    I generally stay with my 150 grain Core-Lokt handloads. If you can't take a deer with 150 grains, 170 won't make a difference. I do prefer 170s for hogs though. They are a lot tougher than deer.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

  9. #9
    JohnnyLoco
    Guest

    Re: 150 grain vs 170 grain .30-30

    "And LE is 160 grains (right in the middle of your 150 or 170 question)."



  10. #10
    Tinhorn
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kendall County, Texas
    Posts
    60
    Member #
    7500

    Re: 150 grain vs 170 grain .30-30

    My rifle seems to prefer the 170 gr from an accuracy standpoint. My hunting shots are 70 to 120 yds mostly on hogs. The 170 gr knocks them down on the spot if I do my part.

    texwing
    '87 336CS 30-30


Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search tags for this page

150 30-30 deer
,

150 or 170 grain 30-30

,
150 vs 170 grain 30-30
,
170 grain 30-30 ballistics
,
170 vs 150 grain 30-30 ammo
,
30-30 150 gr vs 170 gr
,
30-30 150 vs 170
,
30-30 ammo 150 vs 170
,
difference between 150 and 170 grain
,
difference between 150 and 170 grain rifle ammo
,
federal 150 grain 30-30 ammo
,
rifle bullet performance vs grain
,
sierra 170 grain 30-30 exspansion
Click on a term to search for related topics.