+ Reply to Thread

fk [OP]
    Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Sticky Firing Pin

The firing pin on the .32 Special Model 336 doesn't automatically come back it likes to stick in out position. I don't know if this is normal but I wouldn't think so. Is it very hard to take the bolt apart and clean the inside of the bolt to get it to slide easier or should a gunsmith do it? I don't want to take something apart that I can't get it back together. Please advise.

"fk"
    NRA Life Member
    US Army Veteran
    Team 32 Special #13 (little scary huh)

Member #

Re: Sticky Firing Pin

Any competent person can disassemble it and reassemble it back together.....you might want a schematic of it before doing it the first time or look in the Reference section and see if there's a step by step tutorial with pics....
    Steve, in Massachusetts...

I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt.

Be American, Buy American... Stimulate!

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

Here is a how to link in our reference library for tearing your bolt down with pictorial. You can do it. Take a good look at the pins for burrs ect. The area in the bolt where the back piece enters into the front part of the bolt sometimes gets a small burr in it causing your problem. The flat spring causes this over time. Click the link.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,28449.0.html
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I am currently rehabbing a Glenfield 30A that was suffering from a sticky firing pin --- among many other problems. The cause was simple -- a firing pin channel almost 100% clogged by old, hardened 3-in-1 oil and filth. Easy to fix -- carefully pry the extractor out of its slot and remove, then drive out the roll pins located near the front and rear of the bolt. Pull out the rear section of the firing pin, then the front section and flat spring. Either blast out the firing pin channel with Gun Scrubber or some such, or place the bolt body into a pot of boiling water and dishwashing detergent until the crud dissolves. Dry everything, relube, reassemble.
    Pisgah
    ------------------
    "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

fk [OP]
    Member #

Well I have cleaned mine with Gun Scrubber and put it back together and it still sticks. I am looking for burrs and noticed this is hardened material so getting a burr off is a real challenge. I ordered a new spring and new pins to see if this helps. I think the spring maybe the problem but I don't know. I am going to do the suggestion of putting it in a pan and boiling it with soapy water. It can't hurt anything but the hardened material will take a small Dremel grinding wheel to get the burrs off. Well here goes but I won't be able to reassemble until Wednesday.

Is there a problem with headspace by putting a new breech bolt in the rifle? If the cleanup doesn't work I may have to think about a new one.

"fk"

PS Thanks for the ideas.
    NRA Life Member
    US Army Veteran
    Team 32 Special #13 (little scary huh)

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links