+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

35 Rem- 220g. Speer Flat Point Best for close Black Bear?

Hi I am fairly new here. Just got my first black bear with my '52 35 rem. Shot him four times from 20 up to 50 yards before he finally stayed down. Recovered three bullets (200g. 35cal. Remington CoreLokts- the wrong kind as I discovered here in a bullet test post. I had purchased the 200g. pointed soft point bullets.. which may or may not be as robust as the flat point 200g. bullet.) Handloaded over 38.5g. of IMR4064, an accurate load in my gun.

Incidently, video of the hunt is available on the web at http://www.huntingfootage.com/ You will have to register to view but it only took me a minute or two to register myself. After registering page down to the Bear category and look for the "Alberta Bear - Full Length" video.

My partner, Bill "Preacher" Stock, makes videos for the outfitters here in Alberta and made a good one of our hunt. By the way,his bear head measured 24 and a half inches green. Both bears were taken on our first night- both weighed in near 400 lbs.

Anyway, we found that one bullet had mushroomed as we would want, one bullet had separated and lost it's core, and one bullet was recovered by my Taxidermist, Reg Parras, who called me and said I could reload it as it was in perfectly new condition. The fourth bullet was not recovered.

As this was a fairly big bear (-400 lbs.) and aggressive I have had hopes that the 220g. Speer may have better stopping down power at closer ranges. Have you had experience with the 220g. Speer Flat point with black bear at close range?
    Jesus is the Light of the World

Land of Monster Bucks: Alberta

Wrangler
    Member #

Re: 35 Rem- 220g. Speer Flat Point Best for close Black Bear?

First of all, you were lucky that you didn't get a multiple explosion in your mag tube using a pointed bullet. Use only flat/round nosed bullets in a tubluar magazine. Secondly, the Rem. 200gr. PSP-CL is designed for 35Win./35Whelen velocities, that's why you weren't getting good expansion/erratic performance in the lower velocity 35 Remington. Get yourself some of the Remington 200gr. round nose bullets that were designed to be safe in a tube mag., and to expand at 35 Rem. velocities. The good old Rem. 200gr. RN bullets have been bringing down black bears for decades and are well respected.

Tmygun

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun
    First of all, you were lucky that you didn't get a multiple explosion in your mag tube using a pointed bullet. Use only flat/round nosed bullets in a tubluar magazine. Secondly, the Rem. 200gr. PSP-CL is designed for 35Win./35Whelen velocities, that's why you weren't getting good expansion/erratic performance in the lower velocity 35 Remington. Get yourself some of the Remington 200gr. round nose bullets that were designed to be safe in a tube mag., and to expand at 35 Rem. velocities. The good old Rem. 200gr. RN bullets have been bringing down black bears for decades and are well respected.

Tmygun
    Hi Tmygun. Thanks for the warning. We went from excellent expansion in at least one bullet, to bullet core separation/failure in another, finally to one bullet failing to expand at all. Just wondering whether you find it interesting that a bullet you have related meant for Col. Whelen's cartridge (a fine 3006 wildcat cartridge by any measure) performed with such variance in my gun? I will be sure to buy the proper Core Lokt next time I buy it. I am still wondering whether anyone has had experience with the Speer 220g. bullet with black bear? At close range it (the Speer 220g.) should be a good choice as well?

Gunfighter
    Member #

This is just my 2 cents & barely that, as I am a novice with the .35 Remington, but I agree with TMYGUN about the best choice for this cartridge being the bullet Remington designed & built for it......Remington's 200GR RN Corelokt. It'll hit like a sledgehammer AND expand well at .35 Rem velocities, to do the internal damage it was designed to do to put the animal down quickly. If you search this site for .35 Remington's ballistics tests with various bullets & pics, you'll see why. His pics show the Speer 220grFP doesn't expand optimally at .35 Rem. velocities. Like I said, just my 2 cents, jd45

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jd45
    This is just my 2 cents & barely that, as I am a novice with the .35 Remington, but I agree with TMYGUN about the best choice for this cartridge being the bullet Remington designed & built for it......Remington's 200GR RN Corelokt. It'll hit like a sledgehammer AND expand well at .35 Rem velocities, to do the internal damage it was designed to do to put the animal down quickly. If you search this site for .35 Remington's ballistics tests with various bullets & pics, you'll see why. His pics show the Speer 220grFP doesn't expand optimally at .35 Rem. velocities. Like I said, just my 2 cents, jd45
    Thank you jd45 I appreciate your opinion. I think you are right in mentioning the above post. A lot of work went into that post an it should be a feather in this forum's hat to have it. Having read the ballistics post, I do not disagree with the Core Lokt being the best all round bullet for the 35 rem. From my own use of rem core lokt reloads, it is one of the most accurate bullets I have ever reloaded, at any price.

We could be more specific here regarding the intended use of the bullet. It will be at typically short range, something like 10-40 yards at most. At this range the 200g. bullets designed for 35 rem velocities will expand as intended. We simply wonder whether the larger 220g. bullet with the tougher construction, and deeper penetration thru (phonebooks), bone, muscle, etc. would be at bit more appropriate on bigger black bear at this short, exciting range. So considering this do you still think the Core Lokt has the edge at this range on black bear?

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I don't know all the ifs, ands, or buts, but I shot a 420 pound bear with 170 grain Core-Lokt out of a 30-30, and one shot done the job. I have the utmost confidence that a 200 from the 35 will do the job quite well. Have killed a few deer with the 35, and CL bullets, and they worked very well. I also shoot Speer bullets now, and then, but the CL's are my main hunting bullet in 30-30, and 35.

Sidewinder
    Member #

"Dad": Congrats on your big bear! A chap who writes under the name "35Remington" has done extensive research on a whole bunch of projectiles for the .35 Remington--including the 220 gr. Speer. You can find his work either using Google or the search function of this site.

Your experience interests me. I'm due for a (Fall) bear license here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I've pretty well decided to use my .35 Rem. as well. My gun dotes on the 200 gr. CL pushed by a stout but not max. load of H4895. I'll probably use that load this Fall, but I've also picked up a box of the 220 gr. Speers to play with this Summer.

Wrangler
    Member #

I think that the regular Rem. Core-lokt's will be just the ticket at any range with the 35 Rem. It was odd that you got core seperations with the Rem. 200gr. PSP's. As far as the expansion, maybe it was the close range that encouraged it. But it does go to show the erratic behavior of a bullet not designed for the right cartridge. I will say that the performance of those 200gr. PSP's would worry me in the 35 Whelen for anything larger than deer. Maybe a bad lot
    The Speer 220gr. was designed specifically for the 356Win. cartridge, so again, I don't think you will get optimum expansion at 35 Rem. velocities.
    But just as jd45 said, the 200gr. Rem. Core-lokt bullet was designed from the very beginning for the 35 Rem., and those guys got it right darn near 100yrs. ago .

Tmygun

Contributing Member
    Member #

You may find this an interesting read - the aforementioned treatise by 35remington: http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...ic,7180.0.html

Personally I would go with the Remington 200 gr RN or better yet take my 45-70 and use a 300gr Nosler PP.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I was planning on using the Remington 200gr RN ammo myself but also I was wondering if anyone has experience and/or tried the 220gr JFN from Buffalo Bore?
    This has been recommended to me for hunting hogs and bear with my .35Rem on another site. Thoughts?
    http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#35rem
    Steve, in Massachusetts...

I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt.

Be American, Buy American... Stimulate!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links