+ Reply to Thread

Tinhorn
    Member #

336 bolt won't close

It looks as though the extractor is hitting and won't let the bolt lock up. The extractor wasn't bent That I know of. Thanks.

Really Short Fuse Administrator
    Edmond, Oklahoma - That's just North of the Red River Team .444 Charter Member
    Member #

Re: 336 bolt won't close

Had to be!! Grind or file to fit.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/
    MO Member #77

Tinhorn
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by VTDW
    I took the extractor and ejector out and the bolt still won't close. About 1/4" short. Something must be binding in the lever works. Never had apart any farther than this. Any ideas on what it could be?

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ba_50
    Quote Originally Posted by VTDW
    I took the extractor and ejector out and the bolt still won't close. About 1/4" short. Something must be binding in the lever works. Never had apart any farther than this. Any ideas on what it could be?
    Hmmm,,,,
    Ok, the lever is suposed to push the bolt forward until the locking lug is under the recess in the bolt bottom. At that point the lever slips out the bottom of the bolt & the locking bolt cams the bolt the final bit home. Try pushing the bolt slightly forward & see if that allows the action to lock up.
    I dont know the history of your gun. But if someone ground the tip of the lever for some reason it might act like you describe.
    If pushing the bolt forward allows it to close I'd look carefully at the lever tip & the slot it rides in.
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Wrangler
    Member #

You didn't accidently drop the lever off of your bench, when you had the rifle apart, did you? I'm trying to envision where the fingerlever tip would be just 1/4 inch short of going into battery. Seems as though if the fingerlever tip were bent, or had a burr on it, it might cause it to hang up as it finishes passing through the slot in the bolt, just prior to lockup.

Sorry guys, just thinking out loud here!
    Team 1894 - Member #10
    Team 30-30 - Member #357
    Team 35 - Member #450
    Team 45-70 - Member #961

Tinhorn
    Member #

I now know what the problem was. I tried pushing the bolt ahead without the lever and it still wouldn't go. There was a slight clicking noise and realized the back roll pin was out just enough to keep the bolt from going ahead. It was hardly noticeable.
    Nice when it is something simple. Thought maybe a cleaning patch fell in and jammed it but it wasn't that.

Leverdude. Still not sure what to think about that spring not letting the pin go forward. I called Marlin and they won't tell you anything of course (liablility).

Doesn't the 30/30 headspace on the rim? Therefore resizing shouldn't be a problem unless the shoulder is pushed back and a bulge is formed and won't enter the chamber. Thinking of misfires here.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

Leverdude. Still not sure what to think about that spring not letting the pin go forward. I called Marlin and they won't tell you anything of course (liablility).
    Best advice I can think of is to try it without the spring. If the gun fires reliably then you know that for some reason the spring is contributing to it. I dont think its a sizing issue since you are right, the case SHOULD headspace on the rim. Close the bolt on a spent case, there should be little or no play. Some play is not a real concern, different brass has different rim thicknesses so a little extra room is normal.
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links