Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1976 32 special excellent condition price check

2K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  utahtrapper 
#1 ·
Just found one but tired of reloading for new calibers any estimate on value.
Other than 2 slight compression marks on the wood like new.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
76 forearm would be slim, not like that one. Even with replaced stocks, that's a nice looker. DP

#9 · (Edited)
Without looking I think Marlin stopped making rifles in 32spl. in 1962

But that's no 70s 336 the rear sight is not 70's or the forearm. The sling swivel set up could be factory my 1960 SC 32 has the same set up and I have seen in the Marlin book that set up.

It looks like a 336A,at first I was thinking SC but the barrel is to long for an SC. The but pad is an easy fix.

If you find it really is an older 32 then you thought I would jump on it!

32spl ammo is easy to find
Can you get the serial #?

#10 ·
Marlin didn't make any rifles in 32 WSP past 1963 or 1964. If the rifle's serial number dates it to 1976--that rifle has had extensive modifications.

#12 ·
#13 ·
Just to verify, does the s/n start with 24 or is there a letter in front of that? If there is a letter,you use THAT to find the date, not the first two numbers. For example, L249757 was made in 1954, not 1976 as the numbers wood indicate.

Go here for a chart that shows all the codes....

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/a...-1-sheet-pdf-marlin-date-codes-ver8-396mb.jpg
That's probably what's going on. The OP is probably using the "subtract from 2000 method". And yes, it looks like an old, but nice 336 A.

As a shooter, if in "almost like new" condition, I would guess the value between $475 and $625 .

T.S.

Reactions: MidBigWest
#16 ·
A nice 1954 336A shooter in 32 Spcl!!!!!

Utah, as you, I guess, know - the 32 Special really is special! Hornady produces factory ammo w/ 165 grain flextips at 2410 fps. They run around $25 / box of 20. You don't need to reload!

If the rifle is reasonably priced:
1. Buy it
2. Post pics
3. buy some Hornady Ammo
4. Take it to the Range and shoot it
5. Post a range report with pics

T.S. :biggrin:

#18 ·
In my mind, the 32 special is probably the rarest "standard" caliber Marlin. I'm not talking of limited run calibers, just the ones that people think of as normal. In my lifetime I don't think I've ever laid hands on any marlin in 32 special. Considering I grew up in PA, that's saying something. If I ever do come across one for sale in good condition, I'd like to buy it for that reason alone. If it was an "A" model like you posted, I'd want it even more.

#19 ·
The lever on that gun dates the gun to the 1948-49 time frame; and although Marlin never liked allowing perfectly good parts to go un-used, I would be suspect of that lever style still being in use on a new gun 5 years after having been discontinued. As quite a few model 336 parts are interchangeable to include lower tangs and levers regardless of production time frame (which is why serial numbers are no longer on the lower tang); I'd start by checking other period features beginning with the top of the frame. The '48-'49 models have matted frame tops ("waffle tops"), whereas the '54 model will feature a smooth, un-matted frame top. What style frame top does this gun feature? But regardless, perhaps the best way to determine the production year of this gun is to remove the bolt and check the serial number engraved thereon (bolts were serial numbered to the gun on early 336's); if that number matches the number on the lower tang, you have confirmed your year of manufacture as 1954 and the opening lever has been changed out. If it doesn't match, the lower tang and lever have been replaced at some point.

#21 ·
Sounds like a plan MBW. Do you ever go to Parma Woods range? If not, what range do you use? I'd be game. Always looking for an excuse to go shoot also.

#28 ·
Never been there.
Lake City is where I usually go.
But Parma Woods sounds fine.
I can bring the Triple 4 and the 35 rem and the 39 as well.
It would be good to get them out and shoot em again.

#22 ·
By the way Utahtrapper, what are the odds I'd guess the correct letter of you're rifle? Funny thing is I had a letter "P" in my post originally and felt the need to change it to "L". Weird huh?

#26 ·
Should also be a "waffle top" and was not drilled and tapped at the factory.

Reactions: utahtrapper
#29 · (Edited)
Lake city is east of Kansas City a bit isn't it?

#30 ·
It was offered for 450.00 but with the cut stock and drilled waffle top I passed. still a gem just not for me.
Thank You to all for the knowledge Greatly Appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.