+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Inconspicuous gun cases

I don't have any germane suggestions, but I used to carry camera gear in a diaper bag.... Hide in plain sight.

zw
    Zuikowarrior, NRA Life Member

Team 35 Member 48, Team .30-30 Member 112, Team 39 Member 92, Team 60 Member 18, Team .45/70 Member 912, Old Phart no. 49.

"Blessed are those who, in the face of death, focus on the front sight." COL Jeff Cooper

"My Governor can outshoot your Governor." Me

"A free people ought to be armed." George Washington

Marlin 30AW, 336CSs, Texans, Guide Gun, 39TDS, Model 60, MR7

Sidewinder
    Member #

Inconspicuous gun cases

Guys:
    Only a cautionary note. I work construction and marking something as lighting or tools makes it more of a target. Tools can be pawn anywhere, there are no serial numbers or any type of ID. I've had a pair of wornout Cartharts stolen out of my truck. I do like the diapher bag idea. Luck: Duce:
    Use That By Which Others Are Judged: 1911

I'm Bitter and I'm Hanging Onto My Bible and Gun

It is not enough to be good...
    One should strive to be good for something

Wrangler
    Member #

Inconspicuous gun cases

I'd go with the folding chair bag trick.
    You may also inquire at your range about on site storage. Some ranges rent lockers to it's members.
    Treeman extraordinaire, Marlin and S&W addict, semi-proficient gunsmith and Team 444 Marlin member #150

Tinhorn
    Member #

Inconspicuous gun cases

I would only be using the "bulb" box to take it to and from my property. I wouldn't store it in the apartment in the box....for that I plan on making something like this:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=372776

Fits in well with all of our furniture and nobody will be the wiser...may make a false bottom instead though. It also means anyone coming over or into the apartment would not know that I am a gun owner, which again is probably a good idea.

I have a feeling I am going to be modifying my guitar case for this. I think with the overall length of the case it will be a perfect fit, and I won't be storing the gun inside the case when its in the apartment anyways.

Arborman: My "range" is property we own outside of the city, so I don't think the option of on site storage would be possible. It would defeat the whole purpose really

Tinhorn
    Member #

Inconspicuous gun cases

I've used a snowboard/ski bag before, works great in the winter time at least.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Inconspicuous gun cases

A question just dawned on me:

Are there concealed weapons issues that this might create?

Just wondering. I suppose a cop might get pretty nervous if he found a rifle in a ski bag or light box.

DLH
    ow, I may sound like a Bible-beater yellin' up a revival at a river-crossing camp-meeting, but that don't change the truth none.--John Wayne as Davy Crockett in "The Alamo"

Member #

Inconspicuous gun cases

Should be no issues in your home. I know there are no issues here in Washington as when transporting a weapon it should be kept in an opac case. If you carried it loaded that would be another issue though.
    BOT GBUSA, Charter member team 444.
    Life member NRA, Life member WAC.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Inconspicuous gun cases

A trombone case is pretty nifty, if you can pass yourself off as a musician, and a used one can be had for under $20 most places. With a little foam work, you're in business! Plus... room for shells and cleaning supplies.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Inconspicuous gun cases

As the technology wave grows and grows I see all sorts of non-standard, non-luggage looking cases being schlepped around airports and other public places.

So here's my contribution. Buy one of the high end gun cases designed for air travel. You know the aluminum ones with firm, egg-crate foam, hefty latches and lots of reinforcing at the corners, etc. Carefully remove any exterior plaques or labels that suggest "firearm."

Here's the "discrete" part. Get some geeky decals for audio or computer or high tech related products and put a couple on each side of the case. That should serve two purposes. It creates an illusion about the contents, first of all. Second, as a bona fide gun case, especially if you carry it locked, there shouldn't be any legal issues vis a vis concealed weapon.

As an aside...I asked a District Court judge about imprinting and concealed carry. This judge is a friend and a gun nut. He said, "Don't worry about it. Most people are so unobservant that you could probably walk around with a pistol hanging from a string around your neck and no one would notice." You have to remember that this is Wyoming and not recommended behavior here or anywhere else.
    "Hunt close, then get closer."
    Team .444 -- Member #22

Member #

Inconspicuous gun cases

Unless loaded, it is not concealed carry to transport a firearm to and from your vehicle to the range, hunting, gun show, back to your home, "in my state". If it is a handgun and you had it tucked in your pants covered it would be concealed carry loaded or not, but would not be concealed carry if in a box not on your person if unloaded.
    Lots of rules and they very state to state. Good idea to read what your state says about it.
    BOT GBUSA, Charter member team 444.
    Life member NRA, Life member WAC.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links