+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Price of a 336 RC?

Hi guys...
    I came across a 336 RC 30/30 yesterday at a local gun shop. (Southern Ont. Canada). I'm not sure what this thing should be worth to buy. It seams to be in good to good + shape. A few scatches here and there, but nothing too bad. Dark coloured wood, and the blueing is good. The bore although (micro groove) seams to have some residue (I'm not sure if its pitted) in it. The guy said that he cleaned it but that it would need a slight bit better cleaning with some solvent to clean it up perfect. He's sure it would clean up perfect. (I would ask him to do it before I buy it). The gold on the trigger shows substantial wear. My 39's gold trigger shows zero wear and I've had it since the '70s. How much use must be on it to wear the trigger gold off? It also has a scope on it. I don't know anything about scopes. It is a Bushnell - by the time I got home, I can't remeber anything more about the scope - it seemed to have about 1.5 inch lenses on it front and back. Was very clear to look through. It had no extra little thumb extension on the hammer. The hood over the front sight was missing - possibly because of the scope? He wants $475 for it. Is that too high? I know that depending on the scope, the price could vary quite a bit. Whats it worth with out the scope? I've seen Wrenchchester 94's go for the same money. I don't want another 94, I want a 336.
    Thanks for any help

Wrench
    etting sick of shovelling the snow

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Price of a 336 RC?

In the Mid-Atlantic states,that would be a $200-$250 gun,add $25 for the scope.Those dark spots in the bore realy hurt.
    MP

Tinhorn
    Member #

Price of a 336 RC?

Is it an RC saddle ring carbine? If it is and it is well advertised he will probably get his price. The straight stocked, presafety guns are starting to escale in value. 1886.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Price of a 336 RC?

Wrench,
    Welcome to the forum.....
    I have never seen a Marlin bore that would not clean up good enough for shooting unless it was a very old rifle. I know everything costs more in Canadian dollars, but that does seem steep. Although, the prices have been going up around here too.
    The trigger plating issue seems strange. I have never had the plating wear off one, but I suppose it's possible. Does anyone know when the gold plated triggers came into being?
    As far as the Bushnell scopes, 25.00 is about it, for many of them. They did have some good ones over the years, but the odds are against finding anything special.
    Again welcome..
    Bestboss
    I have given up reality for Lever actions, Jeeps and have a wife that understands. It's a better world!
    Team 30-30 #236. Team 1894 #187.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Price of a 336 RC?

No, its not a saddle ring carbine. Also, its got the pistol grip, not the straight stock.

Bestboss...
    I haven't seen a whole lot of used ones around here, but checking another local store informs me that a brand new one is around $550. I don't know if the new ones come with gold triggers. Is an old one of better quality than a new one? I don't know how old this thing is as I didn't get the ser.# off of it to check it out. I may go and have another look at it if you have anymore advice on this thing. Or maybe a brand new one is the order of the day.

Thanks
    Wrench
    etting sick of shovelling the snow

Tinhorn
    Member #

Price of a 336 RC?

That's interesting. My 1968 vintage 336 RC has a saddle ring and a straight stock.

John
    John in Oregon

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Price of a 336 RC?

Sounds like my gun. I've got a '67 RC. Paid about $300 with a very cheap scope mounted. But was able to reuse the mounts for the new Nikon. Mine has the pistol type stock. Sounds at least $100 high IMO. Interesting some RC's have straight and some have pistol. I'm not a Marlin historian, but mine's definitely an RC. Also, I'd say mine is in Good-Excellent shape for a 40 yr old gun.

Contributing Member
    Member #

Price of a 336 RC?

There's a 336 RC 30-30, straight stock with saddle ring at the Cabelas on Hwy 41/45 in Wisconsin for $199. The metal finish is about 75%. The wood has been refinished and the upper receiver tang stands about 1/16" above the wood.
    Team 30-30 Member No. 223
    Team 444 Member No. 333

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links