Marlin Firearms Forum banner

336 .44 owners with calipers help!

Tags
.44 336
1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  AKrocket 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!
This will be my first post here.
6 ish months ago I picked up a 336 in .44 secondhand. Looked fairly good with the exception of the screws which I will replace after I get it cycling correctly (the GF is irritated enough I have a gun that "doesn't work"). Anyway stripped and cleaned it when I got home, and wondered what the empty hole under the forearm was...

After mostly fixing a feed gate jam I realized (after trolling the forum) I am in fact missing the carrier detent, spring, and set screw... cool!
Looked at the usual places, called Marlin, as well as everyone they suggested and ended up locating the spring but that was it.

If any of you good folks know where the screw or the detent could be found I would love to know! As I think this is unlikely at best if someone could just send me some dimensions of the detent so I can have one turned, and the dimensions/ thread pitch of the set screw I would be a happy man!

I have hand fed it some singles and love the way the gun handles would love it more if it would hold more than one in the chamber!

Thank you all for reading!

See less See more
#6 ·
The screw you can get from Numerich.
The carrier is a problem. You (may) have to buy a used
one from Gun Broker for another caliber and modify it.
This will not be a job for an amatuer.
You will need to contact a Gunsmith that likes
a good challenge.:biggrin:

#7 · (Edited)
Luckily I have the carrier with the extra doodads for the .44mag, just need the detent that holds it up long enough to feed the shorter cartridge.
I think I called Numrich about a month ago but I will try Monday... I forget my Friday evening is everyone else's Saturday morning:biggrin:

#9 · (Edited)
No, there is a threaded hole under the mag tube in the front of the receiver that should have a tiny 10 gallon hat looking thing with a spring behind it and a set screw holding it all in the receiver. the carrier on the 336 was built around a rifle length cartridge so when they modified it for the .44mag they used that detent with the spring pressure to hold the carrier up long enough for the bolt to carry the shorter cartridge into the chamber. without it my carrier falls far too soon for the round to enter the chamber.

And that is close to all of my knowledge about this gun, every bit of which has been gleaned from trolling this forum:biggrin:

#13 ·
#14 ·
Ordered all 3 plus a lever screw and feed gate, can't wait! Thanks bikerbean, knowing where to look is 90% of the battle sometimes!
Oz i thought about a 444 but im looking for a short 45-70 in stainless for bear anyway so I think I'll keep it a .44 mag for now. Actually picked it up to take care of a much too friendly (hungry) wolf that kept hanging out in our yard, but of course someone else shot it about the same time I was picking up the rifle down in Fairbanks, Go figure! Oh well, I got a marginally plausible excuse to add a good gun for a decent price!
Hey if I can get the thing feeding reliably and the internet holds up to post a pict they might even let me into team 336-44...

#16 ·
Got my order in this morning! Went straight home and got it all put together. Everything was great other than the spring being too long, couple of clips and it's working great! New feed gate is much better as well, glad I got that too.

Had a hang up loading into the mag tube so I pulled that off and ran a chamfer tool around it a few times and it seems to be fine now. While I had the tube out I clipped a few coils off the spring, Started filing the hammer to reduce over travel as well.

Took it out behind the cabbin and Cycled 100 times or so with a couple levrev and Winchester super x I had. Fired 6 rounds (low on ammo until I get back to town in about a month) and everything worked perfectly! Thanks for the help everyone:beer:
Now I just need to pick out a nice skinner peep, finish the hammer, take a little off the feed gate spring, and I think I'll be a happy guy... Until the next one lol!

#17 · (Edited)
Just be careful to not take too much off the load gate, it will relax a bit as you go. When I load my Marlins I only push each round in up to the rim and complete it with the next round and the only one that needs to be finished with your thumb is the last.

Cheers,
Mark.

Reactions: GrumpyBear
#18 ·
Thanks for the heads up. Figured I would start with the old one to figure out what I was doing first. Always looking for little things like that to do at work as I often have very little to do for 8 hours... If I can make it better for free or close to it and make the clock spin im all for it:biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.