Marlin Firearms Forum banner

The skinny on 35 ammo

3K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  miket156 
#1 ·
Well this is the latest story I got from a guy at Academy today. He say's that he talked to a Remington rep the other day and they were actually going to in his words "mass produce" the 35 ammo soon. He stated that they only made it for 2 weeks this past hunting season. Well that part of it I believe, the mass production part I'll believe when I see it on the shelves.

#6 ·
Perfect!
:congrats:

Reactions: Desparodo
#3 ·
Desporado, the Trading Post is not a forum to post info. This does not belong here unless you have something to sell or trade.

Moving to the 336 forum.

Jack

#8 ·
You did post it under ammo but in the Trading Post forums which is reserved for buying selling and trading, not information or notices open for discussion.

And since news on 35REM ammunition would be most pertinent to people who own a 336 in 35REM then it makes perfect sense to post it in the 336 forum. That is why I moved your thread here.

Jack

#5 ·
I have corresponded with Remington and Federal, both say that 35 ammo will be produced this year. Remington says the end of the 3rd quarter, but Federal didn't give any specifics.

#7 ·
Im hopeful we will see some 35 Remington ammo by mid to late summer. But.. How much will be the question. In all reasoning I don't see them producing anymore than last year. Federal.. Who knows.. JMHO :hmmmm:

#9 ·
I saw some 35 Remington ammo just the other day. Remington, Winchester, and Federal cases mostly. Oh, yeah, this was in my gunroom on the ammo shelf! Make it up as I go along. Sure beats anything the factories have to offer and it's available on my schedule. No waiting....

Jeff

#11 · (Edited)
It would be nice if "someone" would make more of it. Every gun shop I checked with or stopped in and asked about 35 REM ammo said when they did get it in, it was gone! There was a lot of demand, and I am hoping more of it becomes available so we don't have to pay Large Chain Store high prices. It gets old.

Mike T.

#12 ·
I'll believe it when I see it.

Late last summer, I recall reading on several boards threads about a big ammo dump and return to normal supplies by Fall 2014 and just in time for the hunting season. Supposedly the information came from insiders at the manufacturers.

#14 ·
I think who ever does the production planning at Remington got the 35 Rem and 35 Whelen mixed up. I have seen a ton of 35 Whelen on the shelves at the Gander Mt here but no 35 Rem.

#20 ·
Well the idiots at Gander don't know the difference of the two anyhow.

#15 · (Edited)
Not only has factory 35 Rem been scarce in my area--so has RN/FN bullets for those (like me) who reload. I have been experimenting with some 35 Rem +P loads in my Rem 760 35 Rem with Hornady SP 200 grain bullets. Accuracy has been great so far and I am sure the velocity at the muzzle is way beyond the 2300 FPS mark. This could be an alternative load I can use if RN bullets are not to be found. Once I can test this load out with the new chronograph--I will have a better idea if I am pushing these SP bullets hard enough.

#16 ·
Well that would be good news for people.. if it happens, and if other mfgs would follow suit too. In reality for me though, that Hornady LE happens to group so well out my .35rem compared to the other brands I've had down the tube, I'll probably just stick with that ammo for it anyway, ha!

#17 ·
Well that would be good news for people.. if it happens, and if other mfgs would follow suit too. In reality for me though, that Hornady LE happens to group so well out my .35rem compared to the other brands I've had down the tube, I'll probably just stick with that ammo for it anyway, ha!
I could have written the above post myself...

I have all the components to reload 35 Remington including about two or three hundred Remington core lock bullets but the Hornady factory ammo shoots so good I didn't think I could beat it with hand loads. I did finally load up a box with Hornady brass, the flex tip bullets and LE powder using the load data on the bottle label and they seemed to shoot about as good as factory. I don't believe I've ever fired a Remington round from any of my 35's. Got the first one about 6 years ago and even at that time the Hornady ammo was always the one brand on the shelf when I needed some. In fact, it is because of Hornady stepping up to fill the need these past few years that I've really become a fan of their products. I buy a lot of their stuff now that I never used to.

#18 ·
Picked up the last two boxes at the local shop,Remington 200 grain core lokts. ( Pricey )

Now to find some bullets to reload them with,once I get the chance to shoot some.

#19 ·
Dave Bulla:

Hornady has stepped up with ammunition for calibers that nobody else is making or only making once a year. So, like you, many of us had no choice and "had" to buy Hornady ammo in 35 REM. Being that it gave me extra distance because of the design, I was please being able to "Reach out and touch" longer range targets. I too have found that the Hornady is very accurate and I have not had any feeding problems in two different Marlin 336 action rifles. So I purchased some Hornady in 45-70 caliber in addition to 35 REM. The last time I looked, they were the only ones making 450 Marlin ammo too.

As they use to say a few generations ago "If you snooze, you lose". Other vendors should get their tails in gear or they will find that Hornady owns the market.

Mike T.

#23 ·
I use the website ammoseek.com a lot if not finding any locally. They currently show about a half-dozen sites listed with it in stock, prices, etc.

Reactions: 59722 and Desparodo
#22 ·
Do consider big chain stores like Wal Mart, order their ammo seasonal.

Here in Michigan we have a lot of .35 Rem hunters. So Wal Mart stocks up, mostly Remington.

This is a photo I took when the season was almost over with at my local Wal Mart in Big Rapids, Michigan.

If your local Wal Mart has a sporting goods that sells ammunition you might want to ask them to order some.

Might be they'll have it on inventory but not on the shelf in your area.

Attachments

• Image uploading. Refresh page to view
    157.6 KB Views: 47
#24 ·
It also helps to be put on the Notifiy Me lists at different sites. I am sure this is all taken in to account when they order. If we don't make it known that we want it - other than sucking it off the shelf as soon as it is available - they won't make enough.

#25 ·
Swany:

My local Walmarts told me they CAN'T order ammo. Anything that is not main stream is never shipped to either store. The local Walmarts do not take special orders and have no layaways anymore either. Corporate calls the shots and they obey.

The privately owned gun shops are always on the look-out for hard-to-find ammo. One local gun shop was charging $40 a box for that Winchester ammo you have in your photo. Want to lose customers? Price Gouging is the expressway to an empty store.

I got the lowest price I ever paid for Hornady 200 Grain ammo that I ever paid this past season $29.25 a box at Grice's Gun Shop in Clearfield. Grice gets a bad rap for having high prices and NEVER discounting anything other than their marked price.

Mike T.

#28 ·
The information may be correct, BUT I have not found Academy clerks to be well informed about most things.

Most at of us with .35s seem to be hunters and not necessarily target shooters. Once sighted in, a box will likely last me for years, unless I run into a herd of hogs. It can happen.

#29 ·
I still believe that if you own a 35 Remington you owe it to yourself to reload it. The factory ammo supply has got worse in just the past year or two. A lee whack-a mole as I call it classic loader would be fine without getting to big of a investment. You would not at all be feeling the urgency in finding ammo. Plus the feeling of satisfaction of loading your own is a reward in its self. I personally don't shoot my 336 35 much at all. Maybe 10-25 times per year at paper. But I just about have enough component's to last the rest of my life and my sons life.. Money in the bank so to speak.. That is a great feeling.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

#30 ·
CWT

I had looked into reloading last year. I started pricing the equipment and the cost of supplies startled me. Then there was the documentation and learning curve that would be required to know what you were doing. The investment of time at age 67 as well as the total cost of reloading put me in "I'll pass" mode. Also, a local dealer has an EXPERT reloader that takes care of a majority of his customer base. Getting the calibers I use all the time is inexpensive and frankly, reloading is not a good investment for me.

I'd rather spend my time taking care of my rifles, and shooting them at the Range.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Reactions: Desparodo and CWT
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.