+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 30-30 vs. 32 Winchester Special?

Sidewinder
    Member #

30-30 vs. 32 Winchester Special?

From what I'm reading the 32 Winchester Special is a flater shooting caliber and has more energy than the 30-30. Is this true? I thought the 32 Win Sp was more of a brush gun? From what I understand the 30-30 and 32 Win Sp Ammo look the same. The 32 Win Sp is slightly bigger and is able to hold more powder. That's why the ballistics are better than the 30-30. I'm I reading this right?
    That noise you hear is me loading my Marlin .35 Remington LTD.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

I have always understood that they are ballistic equals...at least in practical applications in the field.

What I do know is that the 30-30 is as popular, or more so, than ever and the 32 enjoys peripheral status in the market.
    "Hunt close, then get closer."
    Team .444 -- Member #22

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

The only comparison you have today is cast, and 170gn bullets. In the 170s and all other wgts, the .32 has a good edge.

#1. Rate of twist is slower in the 32 the bullet is larger dia giving you the opportunity to actually exceed what the 30-30 is capable of in the pressure limits of the any action type when stacked side by side. Given a larger area at the base of the bullet with any equal amount of powder you have more pressure because of area and less resistance of the 1-16 twist vs a 1-12 because of this you can exceed 30-30 loads within safe parameters. Yes I like my .32 :lol:
    CATROCK and bbri4570 like this.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

It would seem most of us lever action fans have a chip on our shoulder or we wouldn't be looking for such a marginal edge. :P Seriously, the difference in the end out in the field would be hard to see indeed.

The leverevolution has helped us loose our edge. I do enjoy my 32 as well. Probably just cause its different.
    Gordy and CATROCK like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #

The 32 Special never hit the sales figures Winchester and Marlin hoped for and dropped this chambering simply for economic reasons. Success in the field had nothing to do with these production cuts.

Very large mule deer and whitetails are toppled every year by patient hunters armed with lever action carbines. Their cont'd success factors are hunting ability, patience, and marksmanship. I feel that the cartridge name stamped into the barrel is largely irrelevant.

I hope that 32 Special ammo is available for at least another 100 years!

Jack
    CATROCK likes this.
    ire up the grill; deer hunting IS NOT catch and release!

Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jack O'Conner
    The 32 Special never hit the sales figures Winchester and Marlin hoped for and dropped this chambering simply for economic reasons. Success in the field had nothing to do with these production cuts.

Very large mule deer and whitetails are toppled every year by patient hunters armed with lever action carbines. Their cont'd success factors are hunting ability, patience, and marksmanship. I feel that the cartridge name stamped into the barrel is largely irrelevant.

I hope that 32 Special ammo is available for at least another 100 years!

Jack
    I agree with what Jack says above. Any real difference is in the skills and mind of the shooter and the situation at hand.
    I'd choose the 32 Spl. over the 30-30 for the same reason I chose the 270 over the 30-06................"The Road Less Traveled"...........Everyone I know has a 30-06. so whats to compare?
    I don't own a 32 Spl anymore, (but I'd like another) but then I don't use my 30-30 in the field either.
    I like the less popular and harder to find calibers, so thats the reason for my choices.

As to any arguments, re: 32 and 30-30.........they're so close there is NO argument.

Tomray
    NRA LIFE
    Sparky civil and bbri4570 like this.
    NRA LIFE
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Site Contributor Deadeye
    Member #

Just a heads up There is a 1893 Marlin 32 Special at http://www.ktpguns.com just look under the Marlin heading. A little out of my finacial range! mike
    AHC and LEAA life member
    NRA Patron life member

The Shepherd's Chapel
    PistolSmith

Sidewinder
    Member #

As I've always heard it the 32Win Special was a reaction to ballistic reality...

Remember that back when the 30WCF (remember that 30-30 is the MARLIN name for the cartridge) was introduced that smokless propellant was NOT available for cartridge reloading, the problem was that the
    30-30 didn't respond well to CAST bullets and black powder.

so for those people who didn't shoot factory ammo exclusively
    There was created the 32Win Spl.... slightly slower twist etc...

the problem with the 32winSpl was that once the bore erroded from powder fouling they actually shot worse than the 30-30's

the amazing thing is that for a short term solution developed in late 1895
    that the 32Special hung on so long and further that it is still being discussed.

AllanD

Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AllanD
    As I've always heard it the 32Win Special was a reaction to ballistic reality...

Remember that back when the 30WCF (remember that 30-30 is the MARLIN name for the cartridge) was introduced that smokless propellant was NOT available for cartridge reloading, the problem was that the
    30-30 didn't respond well to CAST bullets and black powder.

so for those people who didn't shoot factory ammo exclusively
    There was created the 32Win Spl.... slightly slower twist etc...

the problem with the 32winSpl was that once the bore erroded from powder fouling they actually shot worse than the 30-30's

the amazing thing is that for a short term solution developed in late 1895
    that the 32Special hung on so long and further that it is still being discussed.

AllanD
    Yes,.......I now recall reading that the 32 Spl. was touted as being reloadable with black powder.........Funny how some things escape the mind.
    Allan, thanks for the post your right on the money on this issue.

Tomray
    NRA LIFE
    NRA LIFE
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Contributing Member
    Member #

The .32 Special..... an oldie but a goodie. I am partial to the .30-30 myself and because of its faster twist, it has the ability to shoot heavier bullets accurately (up to 220 grs.) for superior down range performance.

Historically speaking, the .32 Special was first introduced in the January, 1902 Winchester catalog.

"The .32 Winchester Special Cartridge, which we have just perfected, is offered to meet the demand of many sportsmen, for a smokeless powder cartridge of larger caliber than the .30 Winchester (.30-30) and not yet so powerful as the .30 U.S. Army (.30-40), which could be reloaded with black powder and give satisfactory results. The .32 Winchester Special Cartridge meets all of these requirements. Loaded with Smokeless powder and a 165 gr. bullet, it has a muzzle velocity of 2,057 foot seconds. With a charge of 40 grs. of black powder, the .32 Winchester Special develops a velocity of 1,385 foot seconds, which makes it a powerful black powder cartridge .”

And the saga begins...........

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf (black powder)
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 WCF, .30WCF, .44WCF cartridge historian
    TEAM 39A member #108
    TEAM 1894 member #125
    TEAM 30-30 member #311
    TEAM 45-70 member #563

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links