+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Ohio to allow Pistol cartridge rifles ?

Sidewinder
    Member #

Ohio to allow Pistol cartridge rifles ?

From the Ohio DNR site -
    A proposal was also offered that would allow the use of pistol cartridge rifles for deer hunting. The proposed rifles are the same caliber and use the same straight-walled cartridges that are currently legal for use in handguns. The proposal is designed to allow additional gun-hunting opportunities for hunters that own these guns or want to hunt with these guns. These rifles have reduced recoil compared to larger shotguns, and the proposed rifles are more accurate than the same caliber handgun.

Proposed hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.

I personally think it is a great idea. I know my muzzle loader will out shoot my 44 Mag. The 44 is a little more accurate but the MZ will reach out to 200 yds. And the latest shotguns with rifled barrels and the new sabot slugs are even better yet. Then there are the muzzle loaders that are shooting smokeless powder, these things are rivaling a decent rifle so I look forward to being able to use my Henry 44 mag in Ohio this fall. I can see 45-70 sales sky rocketing in Ohio. For those that don't know Ohio is a shotgun only state currently.
    Dave
    Henry 22
    Henry Golden boy 22
    Marlin 39A Made in 46 Team 39 Still waiting ?
    Henry 30-30 Team 30-30 # 1000
    Marlin 336SC 35 Made in 51 Team 35 # 539
    Marlin 336SC 35 Made in 55 "The Red Headed step child"
    Henry 44 Mag
    Marlin 444 Team 444 # 645
    Marlin 1895 CB 18.5" Cabelas Limited Edition, Team 45-70 #1324
    Marlin XL-7 .270
    I'm not from NY, I am from Western NY !!!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I have seen some other Marlin Owners post about this and of course hoping it will pass.
    LT likes this.

Seminole Indian Chief Micanopy

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    That would be a welcome change, I would love to use my .44 magnum or 45-70 leverguns next year in Ohio. Fingers crossed..
    LT and cds4570 like this.
    Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    375 winchester......I will fill a bunch of tags if they allow this to happen.
    GaCop likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Michigan has similar law waiting to get passed. Michigan has case length limits in it's proposed law that would not allow the straight walled rifle calibers mentioned for Ohio; 1.800" The lower half of Michigan is shotgun/muzzleloader only. I hope Ohio moves on this law faster than Michigan. I think it's been proposed for 4 or 5 years now and still not put to final vote.
    cds4570 likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I'm in Michigan and it would be my guess that the $$$$ haven't been 'transfered' to the powers that make the rules. For the most part, rules and regs are seldom based on scientific study and biologist reporting doesn't often enter the discussion. Changes are influenced by small interest groups and politics.
    wannaBelkhuntin likes this.
    A WISE MAN'S HEART IS AT HIS RIGHT HAND, BUT A FOOL'S HEART AT HIS LEFT. ECCL.10:2

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I've seen this several times, and wish Ohio hunters more success in their rifle choices and all, but it just doesn't make any sense to me really. I haven't seen the actual legislation, but the apparent defining characteristic is being a straight wall case? There are plenty of calibers that have shoulders etc., and less punch than some of those listed. It just seems if safety, range, blah, blah whatever was the goal here, there would be a different way to do it... even if I disagree with the whole premise. For example, I could use say a 444 marlin but not a .35 rem.... really?
    Treinta-Treinta and Ocduff like this.
    "Measure twice, cut once"... you can apply that to much in life.

Team 35 rem #483
    Team 30-30 #876
    Team Shotgun #2
    Team 60 (Model 75) #173
    Team 444 #592
    Team Old Pharts #193
    The Marlin League #160
    Team BROWNING #1 ~ Captain

Join the Browning Team here~

Deadeye
    Member #
    It has to do more with the maximum range for the caliber rather than a power or energy factor. Much of Ohio is pretty flat and ODNR doesn't want bullets flying down range after misses.

I'm also surprised by the various calibers suggested. I suspect it's an attempt to find a simple rule-straight sided cartridges-by a bureaucrat who doesn't know much about external and terminal ballistics. Doubt many will be hunting with 50-110s anyway.
    HIkayaker

NRA Life Member, SASS, OGCA
    NC Watermen United

“If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law.”
    Winston Churchill

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AZsparrow View Post
    I've seen this several times, and wish Ohio hunters more success in their rifle choices and all, but it just doesn't make any sense to me really. I haven't seen the actual legislation, but the apparent defining characteristic is being a straight wall case? There are plenty of calibers that have shoulders etc., and less punch than some of those listed. It just seems if safety, range, blah, blah whatever was the goal here, there would be a different way to do it... even if I disagree with the whole premise. For example, I could use say a 444 marlin but not a .35 rem.... really?
    I too, was surprised at all the rifle caliber cartridges in the proposal.
    For Michigan (if the law ever passes) it says maximum case length of 1.800" Ruling out the rifle calibers listed. I wonder if you could trim the 444 Marlin to 1.800" and safely shoot it?
    I will most likely try and find a 44 Rem mag if Michigan EVER passes the law.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    modern muzzleloaders have as much power and energy as many of these calibers. Like other states, if the county is to crowded you don't allow rifle hunting. We have millions of acres of land in Ohio that is perfectly safe to use rifle cartridges. This is a huge step in the right direction that is going to kick start gun hunting for alot of people that have grown very weary of killing them with single shot ML's or a shotgun.

My 375 win, 444, and 45/70 will all get to kill a deer if this passes legislation. Happy days.
    Redbearcat7 likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links