+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tinhorn
    Member #

Remington Core-Lok

Hey, in a separate thread someone said the Remi Core-Loks don't do well in Marlins.

For deer season I shoot my Savage 30.06 - and use nothin' but Core Lok. Love 'em. Nice tight groups at 100+ yards - and they are about the cheapest of the best ammunition as well. (Field and Stream or Outdoor life) did a bullet comparison last year, and the Core Lokt kept pace with much more expensive ammunition.

When I bought my 336SS it was natural to go with the Core Lok. My grouping were a bit wobbly when I sighted in. (I sighted in at 75 yards) I've taken the Marlin out for hogs here in Texas (average shot) 40-60 yards. I usually put the shot right in the hogs ear - but I noticed that the Marlin has been putting them down lower (throat) which means a lot of tracking for me ...

I always attributed this to shooting from a kneeling position - rather than on a bench rest. (Throw a little adrenaline in there as well.)

I was about to sight in the Marlin at 80 yards for deer season - but what your telling me is I may not want to use the Core Lok?

What kind of experiences have y'all had with them?

Platinum Poster
    Member #

Remington Core-Lok

All rifles prefer different types of ammo.. some like the core loks some don't.. just have to find the sweet ammo and set up that works for you and your gun..
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Remington Core-Lok

Hey ZenDaddy,

I did not kill anything with those bullets, but I have heard that Rem Corelocks are good for hunting. As a matter of fact there was a thread here not long ago and seems like a few pople were very happy with the performance.

As far as the accuracy, I can tell you that both, 150 and 170 gr bullets performed very well in my 30-30 the last few times i loaded and shot them at some paper in the NRA range here in VA.

Cheers,
    Mad
    Check out my other home:
    http://www.levergunlovers.com/
    -------------
    Team "TXPETE" - number 2.5
    Team "Real Toys for Real Boys" - number 69
    Team "444 Marlin" - number 56
    Official Team 35 - number 69

Wrangler
    Member #

Remington Core-Lok

Core Lokts either factory loads or better yet handloads are some of the best bullets to shot from a marlin lever or boltgun.
    I assume your shooting the 30-30win and if your having issues with accuratcy try a different load Hornady, Super X, Federal to find a load your gun likes the bullets are all tried and proven, and it could be your gun mite like either 150grs or 170grs better. If its just someones telling ya corelokts don't work on game horsepucky their some of the best bullets period. Also shoot at the bench just like you shoot off hand. Put the rest or sand bags under the fore arm right where your hand goes and if you have a rest with a bunch of straps or clamps on the barrel or forarm don't use em they can put stress and the gun that it dose not see when shooting off hand. Hope this helped since I don't what other posts you refered to. (disclamer).

Bodark

Remington Core-Lok

Remington Core Lokts factory ammo shoots very well in all three of my 30-30's ... two Marlins and one NEF Handi. They all shoot tighter groups with the 170 grain however. I also handload using the Core Lokts. Nothing wrong with those bullets. Must admit the 170 grain Federal Power Shok factory ammo shoots better than the Remington factory ammo in mine.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Remington Core-Lok

All,

Thanks for the input -

I'm very happy with the Core-Lok, I just wanted to make sure that no one on this board was having problems with Core-Lok. I've had great experience with them in my bolt action 30.06. I'm new to Marlin and wanted to make sure their wasn't some sort of problem with marlin rifles and core lok ammo. Apparently, this isn't the case - so I'll sight in the new marlin with the Core-lok in at 75 yards. (The distance from my stand to feeder.)

Any low shots I've been experiencing with my Marlin, I'll attribute to my shortcoming in shooting!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Remington Core-Lok

Core-Lokts are just about the best "standard", non-premium bullets going IMO, especially in moderate-velocity cartridges like the .30-30 and .35 Rem. My Marlins love 'em.
    Pisgah
    ------------------
    "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

Sidewinder
    Member #

Remington Core-Lok

I have also had good luck with Corelokts in 35 and 30-30. Some of my bolt actions don't shoot other calibers as well as they used to for some reason. From what I have gathered on other forums, the roundnoses are still made the way they used to be but the pointed bullets are not as well made anymore.

Contributing Member
    Member #

Remington Core-Lok

It is my understanding that they’ve “killed a lot of deer”.
    Also Elk & Black Bear.

I think the round nose helps it to fly a little straighter too. At least it flies well (for me) at the range. I’ve gotten under 2" groups at 150yds with factory 30/30's, on a good day. Use the 170's (w/74 for plinking with the 336C & 150's (w/3031) in the 336XLR .
    Look at a wolf, look at a deer, look at a human, look at a black bear. The 30-30 was designed to be the most efficient caliber to down any of them within the range you would most commonly encounter such creatures.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Remington Core-Lok

Two thoughts:

I have used CoreLokts in a variety of guns ('06, 280, 30-30, 35 rem., 35 Whelen) and they have all performed as advertized...Deadliest Mushroom in the Woods."

Second, I always check my sights from field positions AFTER sighting in from a bencherst. I usually need to adjust the sights slightly. Granted, my groups from field positions aren't as small as from the bench BUT they are centered where I want them to be. That is as much as 3" or 4" different from the benchrest POI.
    "Hunt close, then get closer."
    Team .444 -- Member #22

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links