+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

Reloading the 35 Rem

I conducted a search for 35 Rem and found a great deal of info. Great stuff, thanks.

Prior to buying a 35 Rem, I heard numerous stories of how the 35 Rem was prone to misfires from incorrect headspacing. Is this really a problem or do you just need to be careful when full length resizing?

As for loads, I seem to be drawn to the Speer 180's and 220's. I noticed the info regarding Speer 220's to 2200 fps. This appears to be off the charts as far as loading manuals go. Also, with the data pushing the 220's envelope, there does not appear to be corresponding data for the 200's, I mean in the +2200 fps range, or am I just not seeing it?

I live and hunt elk in the south central mountains of NM. My 11 year old wants to hunt cow elk with dad. That's why I'm drawn to the Speer 220's. If I can get anywhere over 2000 fps, it should serve him well. Your thoughts? Our area is heavily timbered and ranges can be kept under 150 yards. When he graduates to bulls, another rifle will be in order.

Thanks, Dan

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

Reloading the 35 Rem

Welcome aboard MtnHunter.
    I'v no info to offer on that 35 other than I never heard of any headspace issues.
    Post this in the reloading forum & I think you'll get a boatload of info.
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Reloading the 35 Rem

If you haven't already do a search by name of poster for 35remmington and you will find some detailed reports on reloading the 35 Remmington that he did, it will save you a lot of time in evaluating what works and what doesn't.
    BOT GBUSA, Charter member team 444.
    Life member NRA, Life member WAC.

Wrangler
    Member #

Reloading the 35 Rem

I noticed the info regarding Speer 220's to 2200 fps. This appears to be off the charts as far as loading manuals go.
    Indeed. It isnt in any of the manuals that I have, either. All I can say is it is a recent development in the field.

Also, with the data pushing the 220's envelope, there does not appear to be corresponding data for the 200's, I mean in the +2200 fps range, or am I just not seeing it?

You must have missed it. Here's one, from Goose Gestapo I believe; he knows his stuff:
    Use 40.0gr H4895 with the 200gr RN Cor-Lokt, for 2,200fps. My gun will take 42.0 for 2,350fps, but brass needs trimming after 3x, so I don't go that high any more (not really needed!!).

I live and hunt elk in the south central mountains of NM. My 11 year old wants to hunt cow elk with dad. That's why I'm drawn to the Speer 220's. If I can get anywhere over 2000 fps, it should serve him well. Your thoughts? Our area is heavily timbered and ranges can be kept under 150 yards. When he graduates to bulls, another rifle will be in order.
    Here are responses on the matter, from MOF archives:

"The 220gr Speer is much better with H4895, and loaded to about 5% above most of the manuals which are very conservative on the loadings for the .35 because of the old autos that are still floating around. The 220 is actually made for the .358wcf and .350RemMag. and tends not to expand from the .35rem unless really spanked hard, as with the H4895 load."

So what does "really spanked hard" mean? Try this thread for the answer:
    http://www.marlinowners.com/board/vi...ht=35remington
    David,

"Visit your friends often and well, for a path unused is soon choked with weeds."

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Reloading the 35 Rem

I very much respect the work that 35Remington has put into developing the potential of the 35 Rem. Let there be no mistake about that.

In some of his more recent posts he mentions tending back toward the 2000 fps. territory and that perhaps nothing more is needed from the 35 Rem.

I loaded up a batch of his stouter loads for 200 gr. RN many months ago. I must be honest with you. The recoil and report was so much above standard loadings that it startled me. I simply could not feel comfortable shooting those hot loads despite all the research that went into them.

POI was many inches higher than my normal loads and shooting them literally made me fearful. It was just too big of a jump. After shooting a handful of them I pulled the bullets on the rest of the batch.

No disrespect to 35Remington and there was no problem with extraction, etc. They were just not my cup of tea. Now I load to about 2000 fps with 200 gr RN. I use the 220 gr. FN for my 35 Whelen. And I now have a .444 Marlin for my "heavy" levergun.
    "Hunt close, then get closer."
    Team .444 -- Member #22

Wrangler
    Member #

Reloading the 35 Rem

Each reloader must make the choices that work for him/her. SAFE choices of course, but the ones that he or she feels comfy with. For hunting loads, "Im a max it out" sort of guy. Especially with the .35 Remington, which offers the ceiling. But again, as noted, POA changes over lesser loads and there is the blast and shoveback to contend with.

You pays your money and you makes your choices.

Good counterpoint, WSH.
    David,

"Visit your friends often and well, for a path unused is soon choked with weeds."

Deadeye
    Member #

Reloading the 35 Rem

34 gr. of H4895 gave 2008 fps with the Hornady 200 gr. RN. Not too much pressure for my old autoloader (Rem M either. I had loaded 37.5 gr. of H322 under the Speer 220 for 2067 but this is just too much. This load exceeds MOST manual maximums and should be approached with caution. ALL reloaders should actually have their own manual and rely on it rather than some expert on the internet of any stripe. All that added to satisfy somebody who didn't read the post, I still think the 200 is better suited to the .35 Rem.

The factory ammo I have tried only pushes the 200 gr. to about 1900 fps with some ST stuff only going 1836 fps! I can do better with the .357 Maximum as it can push the 200 to 2000 fps.
    Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." R. L. Stevenson

Shooting with Hobie

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Super Moderator
    Member #

Reloading the 35 Rem

As far as head space issues go I have three 35 Rem Marlins and have never once had a problem with them. I always full length resize the cases and have yet to experience any problems.
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Reloading the 35 Rem

Thanks, oldschool.

Let's be clear, it wasn't a matter of recoil, as such. I am not a recoil junkie but I shoot .444 Marlin and 35 Whelen full-power loads with a reasonable degree of comfort.

In the case of the hot 35 Rem. loads it was a psycho-emotional reaction: just didn't feel right. "Ya' pays yer money and ya' takes yer chances."
    "Hunt close, then get closer."
    Team .444 -- Member #22

Tinhorn
    Member #

Reloading the 35 Rem

MtnHunter:

If I may suggest, let your 11 year old shoot the .35 with standard factory loadings and preferably the green box 200 Core-Lokts. I have killed many moose and deer with these cartridges, and the ranges you expect to shoot at are not a problem for the .35 Remington. Myself, I load them up and the Speer 220 is a great load at 2200 fps., but it does have a kick to it and might cause a youngster to flinch. I consider it the safe limit for the cartridge and shoot it when hunting moose only.

On the subject of shoulder set-back, I neck size only with the Lee Collet dies, and run them through the conventional sizing die if they get sticky, but only enough to size down the neck to leave a slight "collar" at the shoulder. Never had a problem, and get long life out of my cases.

Have a great hunt with your son, wish I could be there to see him in action.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links