+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: .30-30 Leverevolution ballistics

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

.30-30 Leverevolution ballistics

The gentleman at the next station, shooting a bull-barreled varmint rifle, struck up a conversation on leverguns, then offered me his chronograph as we were both curious about the Leverevolution round performance. I only shot three rounds, 2363, 2360, and 2373 ft/s. Tiny sample, but it gives a mean of 2365 and a standard deviationof 5.5 ft/s for the Leverevolution ammo. For comparison, one round fired of Winchester Super-X PowerPoint 150 grain was 2205 ft/s.

These results are for a .30/30 336CS with a 20-inch micro-groove barrel, about 85 degrees and 650 ft elevation.

The interesting comparison is in calculated energy. I used BigGameInfo's online calculator to match the Hornady factory data and found that a ballistic coefficient of 0.325 matches their data almost perfectly given their 2400 ft/s muzzle velocity. Then running the numbers for the actual achieved muzzle velocity from a 20-inch barrel (2365), I calculate that the Leverevolution round carries greater than 1000 ft-lb of energy out to 295 yds! (this is supported by the factory claims for their 2400 ft/s muzzle velocity) The 150 grain flat-nosed Winchester carries 1000 ft-lb only to 140 yards, and at 295 yds has only 580 ft-lb. (using Chuck Hawks' 0.224 ballistic coefficient for the 150 grain FN)

It would be nice to have more data and some downrange chronograph measurements to confirm the ballistic coefficients, but it does appear that the Leverevolution round is a significant improvement in performance. Remains up to the user whether the improvement is needed, or worth the increased cost. My experience does not indicate any improvement in accuracy with the LE round at 100 yards.

It will also be interesting to hear the bullet performance reports this fall when LE bullets begin taking deer.
    Zuikowarrior, NRA Life Member

Team 35 Member 48, Team .30-30 Member 112, Team 39 Member 92, Team 60 Member 18, Team .45/70 Member 912, Old Phart no. 49.

"Blessed are those who, in the face of death, focus on the front sight." COL Jeff Cooper

"My Governor can outshoot your Governor." Me. And I'm pretty sure that holds for the new guy coming in in January, too.

"A free people ought to be armed." George Washington

Marlin 30AW, 336CSs, Texan, 1895G Guide Gun, 1894C, 39TDS, Model 60, MR7

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Super Moderator
    Member #

I shot a large doe (170 lbs) during the late doe season in Jan. using the Leverevolution in my 336 20 inch barrel. The shot was a straight on shot at 200 yards. The bullet enetered a little to the deers right of center. The deer was slightly quartering to the left. The bullet took out the aorta, the lungs several ribs on the left side and shattered the left shoulder blade (from the inside) then traveled back and lodged near the rear quarter. The deer fell in its tracks. I'm at work now so I dont have the bullet in front of me but if memory serves me the retained wt of the bullet was 129 grains. The stuff works! I will be hunting with it this fall.
    dpe.ahoy likes this.
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Deadeye
    Member #

I posted last year about the 3 does I shot with it. Good stuff. It seemed more accurate than some other loads I had used. I don't use much factory ammo but for this one 30-30 I'm going to stay with it. Can't wait to see how those bullets shoot out of my 307. Rick

Wrangler
    Member #

With Hornady's reputation for tough bullets that penetrate, and with the high retained energy, would you consider this ammo good for elk out to 150 yds from a 30-30?
    Matt R
    Maple Valley, WA

John 14:6

My hero DID walk on water.

"Don't ever sell your saddle, cuz life's a long,
    long ride..." - Randy Travis

Platinum Poster
    Member #

Yep it would considering the reg 30-30 has taken all North Am game animals with the right person behind the rifle.. I sure wouldn't recomend it for all people to try.. And I am sure Hornady wouldn't recomend it either.. Deer and Black Bear yep.. without question..
    If its all you have to use, I would opt for the leverevloution over factory 170's ..
    As good as most shoot here in Ranch Dog's Postal Match, I wouldn't be too concerned.. As to the City Slickers that shoot on sunday / hunt monday.. NO WAY..
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

So far I have been very impressed with the Hornady L/E ammo. Both in my 30-30 and in the 35. Both rifles seem to like it. It may not be any more accurate that RN or FN rounds but given the higher energy and flatter trajectory I am seriously considering it for both rifles this fall.
    Team 30-30 Member #33
    Team 35 Member #40
    Team 39 Member #180
    NRA Member
    US Navy Veteran

No Fear
    No Excuses
    No Mercy

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

"As to the City Slickers that shoot on sunday / hunt monday.. NO WAY.."

geesh, GJ...those city slickers shoot more regularly than that...I read about at least one a night in drivebys, in most city neighorhoods, each year on the year....they probably shoot more than most country huckabees do in a two year period!! :lol: :lol: and that's with moving targets and from moving vehicles....how much better than that can you get :P :P :P

Platinum Poster
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger480
    "As to the City Slickers that shoot on sunday / hunt monday.. NO WAY.."

geesh, GJ...those city slickers shoot more regularly than that...I read about at least one a night in drivebys, in most city neighorhoods, each year on the year....they probably shoot more than most country huckabees do in a two year period!! :lol: :lol: and that's with moving targets and from moving vehicles....how much better than that can you get :P :P :P
    There is difference between City Slicker's ( Doctors, Lawyers and Indian Chiefs) and the City Subhuman Gutter Dwellers that you speak of so kindly.... :roll: :P :lol: :lol: :lol: ( they don't have side mounted sites on Rifles)
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    "( they don't have side mounted sites on Rifles) "
    That is not true I saw an AR that had a scope and then you turned it a little and it had open sights on the side at about 3 oclock.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    These bullets work just fine for me. I shot a small buck last fall with handloads clocked at 2450fps from a 30-30 Ackley. It was a slight angle shot facing me at around 80 yrds. The deer dropped dead right on the spot and I did not recover the bullet. The bullet clipped a neck vertebrae, went through a rib, then traveled through about 2 feet in the deer and exited

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links