+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Skinner Sight's "Alaskan" Review

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjeepman View Post
    As I have said on many occasions, well done Erik. I think your pictures are great and seem to tell the story very well. The description of the packaging might also prove to be helpful to those who at times need to open some modern packaging with a large screwdriver and a tire tool like I do . I would probably be one of the few who might have overlooked the allen wrenches.

I bought a Skinner sight for my 39A and my BIL bought one for his 39M about two years ago. My BIL's Skinner is still on his 39M and I took mine off after about 2-3 trips to the range. I am unsure if I gave the Skinner a fair chance to be quite honest and I will try it again this spring. At the time I took the Skinner off, I could hit almost anything I wanted to hit up to 75 yards ... with factory sights and the Skinner not so much. I do like how the sight radius is longer and the peep sits lower.

The Alaskan is drawing my interests as I like it's lines but am unsure if I used one on my 45-70 GS that I could do well enough with it (older, tired eyes) to say 100 yards. The only way I would ever know for sure is to try one. I also have a question concerning ice man's 444 Outfitter. Is this identical to the Alaskan or is it a different model?
    You wouldn't be the only the only one Doug. I have other allen wrenches from my past Skinner purchases so I wasn't thinking about it at first and then I thought, wait a second, there should be some wrenches with this. Plucked the package out of the trash and voila, there they were.

Remember, let that peep sight go all blurry. Don't even think about it. Pull the aperature and shoot it as a ghsot ring for a bit and see if it helps. Front sight, front sight, front sight.
    bigjeepman and dpe.ahoy like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    HI Eli....

Good stuff. I have a 336SS XLR. I, too have been drooling over the Alaskan setup. Aside from looks and sight radius, are there any other issues to consider in selecting a short versus a longer based sight? I'm struggling with the price a little. Several months back, i had a thread about my recent cataract surgeries, I think a peep is what I want and will help with the sight picture. Appearance issues aside, does the lower Alaskan 'fit up' better than a taller sight to my gun? And, can Andy set me up with a front sight in stainless that works with either sight (Alaskan or regular)?

Thanks... great pics, and a beautiful rifle!

-Smokiniron
    Eli Chaps likes this.
    "Figure Out What You Believe and
    STAND YOUR GROUND!"

Lots of Cast Iron to cook with,
    ...and some firearms....

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I agree, Skinner Sights are a top notch product. I have them on three of my Marlins all Express models with two black/gold on my Cowboy's. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

The furniture on your rifle is really nice...... Beautiful 336 Erik, is that the "M" ?
    Last edited by neptune; 01-26-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    Eli Chaps likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Excellent review! I want to get the skinner alaskan sight for my blued 336. Just got to decide what coloration haha.
    Eli Chaps likes this.
    --Mark
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin
    Team 30-30 #621
    Marlin league #108
    Team 39 #252
    Team Mosin Nagant #11
    Team Shotgun #51

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by smokiniron1789 View Post
    HI Eli....

can Andy set me up with a front sight in stainless that works with either sight (Alaskan or regular)?

-Smokiniron
    If I remember correctly, Andy does not recommend using a stainless front sight as it does not stand out effectively....

Member #
    HI Eli....

Good stuff. I have a 336SS XLR. I, too have been drooling over the Alaskan setup. Aside from looks and sight radius, are there any other issues to consider in selecting a short versus a longer based sight? I'm struggling with the price a little. Several months back, i had a thread about my recent cataract surgeries, I think a peep is what I want and will help with the sight picture. Appearance issues aside, does the lower Alaskan 'fit up' better than a taller sight to my gun? And, can Andy set me up with a front sight in stainless that works with either sight (Alaskan or regular)?

Thanks... great pics, and a beautiful rifle!

-Smokiniron
    I don't think a 1/2 inch of sight radius is going to move the Earth by any means. I have standard Skinners and they are great sights as well.

I don't believe Andy sells a stainless front sight and I'd be very leary of recommending one anyway. My concern would be that it would be too shiny/bright and could cause sighting issues.

If you're unsure how you'll do with a peep, maybe get the standard and see how you do. If you do alright and still want the Alaskan you could always sell it here and recoup some money toward the Alaskan. For that matter, you could probably do the same with the Alaskan.

If you're not familiar with peep sight use, you might find something in here helpful:: Iron Sights: A Primer
    smokiniron1789 likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    I agree, Skinner Sights are a top notch product. I have them on three of my Marlins all Express models with two black/gold on my Cowboy's. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

The furniture on your rifle is really nice...... Beautiful 336 Erik, is that the "M" ?
    Thank you. It's an SS, son of the M. The 336M came out in 2000, hence the M. From thre on they were the SS. Mine is a 2002.
    AlaskaDawg likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjeepman View Post
    I also have a question concerning ice man's 444 Outfitter. Is this identical to the Alaskan or is it a different model?
    Its the same, but instead of Andy's "Black Gold" option he made it up "Black Silver" and engraved it for me.
    bigjeepman likes this.
    Not taking a rifle out hunting because it has lovely wood, fine checkering and well-executed metal work, is like refusing to marry and enjoy a gorgeous woman because she will get old and wrinkled.

336SS "JM" (Outlaw)
    XS7 .243 "JM"

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Eli,

Thanks for the iron sight link. I'll read it tonight. I'm OK with the appearance of the shorter sight. The 24" barrel on the 336 SS XLR oversomes the 1/2" advantage of the Alaska. BUT the Alaskan sure looks good! Homework to do!

- Smokiniron
    Eli Chaps likes this.
    "Figure Out What You Believe and
    STAND YOUR GROUND!"

Lots of Cast Iron to cook with,
    ...and some firearms....

Member #
    Eli,

Thanks for the iron sight link. I'll read it tonight. I'm OK with the appearance of the shorter sight. The 24" barrel on the 336 SS XLR oversomes the 1/2" advantage of the Alaska. BUT the Alaskan sure looks good! Homework to do!

- Smokiniron
    Here's another thread you might find helpful. Fellas with eye issues weigh in a bit more: Iron Sights: Eyesight, Age, Education, Etc...An Open Discussion

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links