Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Best Peep Sight for the 336

42K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  shawlerbrook 
#1 · (Edited)
I am in the market for a receiver mount peep sight and a front sight for my 336RC .35. I have looked at some online such as williams, and skinner. Which do you prefer and why?

#2 ·
Andy of Skinner is a member here, and has an outstanding reputation for service and product. Can't find many better companies than his to deal with. DP

Reactions: SgtRock
#5 ·
I recently went through the same search for the right peep sight. I went with the Skinner Elite. Easy to install, quick target acquisition, and looks sharp. Had to get a taller front sight and trim it to get it sighted in. Very handy for quick shots in the woods. Andy was very helpful and his website has detail instructions.

#8 ·
I have had (and used) Williams, A/O (now XS), Brockmans, and Skinner's...All are good sights, but only you can decide which one works best for you. I've chosen...Skinners for me!

#9 ·
I am going to ask you something different. What do you need a peep for? Hunting, target, silhouette or some combination thereof? Also how far distancewise do you shoot? :questionmark:

I have 2 Skinners and have nothing but great things to say about them (and Andy as well), but although they have windage and elevation
adjustments, when it comes to long distance and some silhouette stuff they are unidimensional (no distance adjustment).

#11 ·
I'm ordering my second Skinner this one will be the Alaskan model. These sights are very nice in both form and function. If your thinking about getting one just do it you'll like it better than you like your money.:biggrin:

Pat

#12 · (Edited)
Skinners 100%, I'm using 4 in total. I had a Williams on one but it felt too lightweight, the skinner is just more robust. Get an "Express" or "Alaskan" they just look right, and it allows for a shorter (but still taller than factory) front sight. Set up the rear post and fine tune by filing the front sight, you won't regret it!!

Try ordering one with a stainless windage dovetail, looks sweet!!

Firearm Gun Trigger Air gun Gun accessory

Attachments

#13 ·
I installed a Lyman model 66 on my Marlin 30AS. Easily adjustable for windage & elevation. I use the factory disc for target work, load development, etc. I remove the disc to effectively create a "ghost" ring for quick target acquisition in the field. Low profile does not hang up in the brush. Works for me.

#14 · (Edited)
I put a Williams peep on my my 336, I love the sight but it seems to shoot about 4" high at 100 yds. I either need a taller front sight or I need to mill just a little bit off the bottom of the rear to lower POI. I need to take the sight back off the receiver mount to see if it's possible to file just a little off to make it sit lower. I'd rather modify the rear sight than change out the front sight.

Stu

#16 ·
I only have Williams and X/S peeps at this time. At 60, my eyes need all the help they can get for hunting so most of my hunting rifles wear low powered glass. The ones I have that wear peeps came to me that way. When I mount a rifle with peeps, it will be one of the Skinner sets due to all the great feed back from fellow MO members. DP

#17 ·
I have glass on most of my rifles as my old eyes will not allow me to focus the rear sight. I tried the williams peep and it was still fuzzy and at longer distance ( over 50 yds ) I would have been uncomfortable shooting at game. I recently put the Marbles peep that fits the rear dove tail on the barrel of my .357. I used the short one as it gets the rear sight farther away from my eye. I am looking forward to shooting it, it looks good.

#20 ·
Don't worry if the rear sight is blurry; it doesn't matter. What does is the front sight. I'll admit it takes a leap of faith but I promise you just need to look through it and practice practice practice.

Back to the OP's question, I think the Skinner sights are very rugged and functional not to mention handsome. I don't think you can go wrong. I have Williams FPs on some of my rifles because I like to play around with different ammo and hence the easier adjustment potential works best for me. The Williams FP are not as sturdy as the Skinners but I haven't damaged one yet.

#18 ·
I have a williams FP on two of my lever guns, a 336RC and a Win 94, and neither needed a new front sight. My old eyes don't focus on the sights very well so I put a Merit adjustable aperture in each sight. This allows me to adjust the size of the aperture to sharpen up the front sight for the light conditions. If your eyes are still good, any aperture set-up should work. If you have trouble focusing on the front sight, I highly recommend the merit adjustable insert.

E. J.

#19 ·
Don`t know what the "best" is as I haven`t tried them all. Started out same as you .Did my on -line home work. Get the facts!
Chose the Williams Fire Sight. Two things to mention. Get thr bigger aperture. Eliminates the fuzzy look from the front sight. Old eyes see everything.
Listed in their Catalog as well. Change out the front sight(muzzle end) Th peep comes with 2 front sights. Folks at Williams very helpful. When all was said and done.........That puppy is really nice. Easy to get sighted in as well.

#21 ·
I have always bought Williams peep sights years before I joined MO but I do like the looks of ice man's setup I might give the Skinners peep a shot. But you can buy just the Williams peep on sale from www.midwayusa.com at times for about $28. and not on sale at $34..... They work good and light weight which I find to be a plus.

T:biggrin: NY

Reactions: ice man
#23 ·
I've had two Williams FP's fail on me in the last couple years. Never had any issues with my Skinners. I'm in the process of swapping out all my peeps for Skinners.
How did they fail? Bend, break, move out of adjustment or somethig else?

#24 ·
Depends on what you need. If you hunt and want to dial it in ONCE and then leave it there and only shoot one load then Skinner is by far the best. If you like to play with loads and dial in for different loads or distances, then I'd get an all metal older Lyman or Redfield with micrometer adjustments.

#26 ·
Just my 2 cents. If you need lots of windage and elevation try to find an all steel older Redfield or Lyman. The newer Williams sights have done me well though. I am a minimalist and for a straight forward thickets rifle ghost ring setup I prefer the compact, no sharp corners XS sights. I love the looks of the Skinner and the great reputation he has. AC

#28 ·
I've used Williams, Lyman, Wild West and Brockmans and heres why I like Brockmans. The front and rear sight both have metal wings to protect the actual sight from getting damaged in case of a drop or banging it on a rock or any of the many things that can and will happen in a hunting situation.

#31 ·
For current production sights, the Skinner is definitely bulletproof. I agree with some above that an old all steel Redfield or Lyman are also very good. I have those on a couple of old Mausers and they work well. I also have newer Williams on a couple 94's and while they work fine, they don't seem as robust as the Skinner on my Marlin 1894 44 mag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.