+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Help!!! 336 stuck open!!

Help it wont cycle!! I tried the loading gate screw, thats not it!! So I removed it entirely and same issue... When it locks all the way to the rear it make a click noise and seems like the carrier is stuck in the up position and its not letting the bolt move foreword. Ive been trying to figure it out for days and im losing my mind!! Please help... Any info would be great... It seems like a timing issue..

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Remove the bolt, put the lever back on and see if it cycles without the bolt. Just like removing the loading gate, you are eliminating what could be causing the problem. If it cycles without the bolt, you know it's something to do with the bolt or the locking block. If it won't cycle without the bolt it's something in the carrier.

Good luck.
    I have more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Ok i'll try that next..... However it seems like the carrier is just floping up and down like nothing is engaging it..

Wrangler
    Member #
    Take this for what its worth, Im not an expert and I'm just learning myself. I've just done my first full tear down on my 336SS due to a jamming/locking up problem (not hard to disasemble, but i was hesitant at first). Mine is a Remington made Marlin, and many of the internal parts were rough and poorly finished

Iv'e now polished all the moving parts to a point that it sliked up the action a fair bit from what it was when i got it a year ago (bolt, Lever, Locking block, Carrier etc)

I used the tips from the forum here on doing basic action job, erring on the side of caution and not going overboard.

All this to say that it may be worth a full disassembly, inspect clean and polish, you may see something thats causing it to bind up ??

The other thing that struck me as odd in your first post, when the bolt is all the way back "locked all the way to the rear", and the lever is thrown all the way forward, the carrier wouldnt be/shouldnt be at full lift yet should it ? the Carrier doesnt start to lift until the lever starts to move back towards the home position and the bolt has started to move forward (?).

Others here will know better than me, but since ive just finished fixing mine, and have been observing the action, thought I'd chime in, incase any of my newbie babbling helps you at all.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    ive done the full tear down and put it back together and that happened when i tried it out... Yes lever all the way foreword bolt to the rear carrier up and stuck that way..
    Removed bolt and tried that, same thing... Im at a loss.. Please help

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by longrifle1016 View Post
    ive done the full tear down and put it back together and that happened when i tried it out...
    Hi Longrifle, is it possible that you got some screws mixed up when you re assembled ? ie the base plate screws ? I've heard that those short ones if interchanged by accident will cause the rifle not to cycle.

just a thought

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Sure your ejecter in in place?
    Guns dont kill people.Dads with pretty Daughters do..

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    There are two screws that are easy to get mixed up, the one on the bottom in front of the lever is the same size, but longer, than the one on the left side of the reciever. Make sure the shorter screw is put in the left side. If you put the longer one in the side it can cause it to lock up.
    I have more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Check what Doc pointed out. If it ain't that then it makes me believe the lever/carrier relationship is off.

If you find the screws are in the correct place and come up with no other answer, send member Tomray a PM with a link to this thread. He may be able to give further guidence.

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Its a little confusing. You say the lifter flops around, but most times when the action gets stuck open its because the lifter cant move upwards. Both the loading gate screw being lose AND reversing the trigger plate side and bottom screws will jam the gun simply because they prevent the lifter from going up. If the lifter moves freely & the bolt moves freely I cant imagine what would get it stuck open. I'd try removing just the bolt first and see if the lifter moves with the lever installed and the bolt gone. If it does I'd yank the lifter and try it with the bolt.
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links