+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: HELP - Remlin Jammed - lever stuck open, round jammed with carrier

Deadeye
    Member #
    1 Big Hole has the right fix. Remove lever screw, lever, bolt, and ejector. Then (as said) check the loading gate screw for tightness.

It isn;t because it's a "Remlin", Stray Cat, it has happened to all 3 of my levers, none of which are Remlins. It could be caused by all the things mentioned, but sometimes it's just a "double levering" that can do it.

This happened to me once: One very early morning, I had loaded my rifle and set it on the seat while I took a leak and got my pack on. Then I picked up my 35 Remington and, without thinking, cracked the bolt open just a tad - kindly like the way we'll do a press check on a semi-auto pistol or maybe open the bolt on a rifle a little to check for a loaded round. Hehehe - DON'T do that on a Marlin lever! As soon as you crack the lever and the bolt releases, the magazine lets another round onto the lifter. So that happened to me.

But it gets worse. I closed the lever, forcing the loaded round back into the chamber. Realizing my mistake, I thought "Man, I have a double in there now, I've got to get this round out of the chamber." So.....I levered the bolt open (or tried to). Well, what happened now? The magazine let loose another round - partway. So now the lever is jammed, the bolt is stuck, there's a round in the chamber, and 1-1/2 rounds on the lifter.

The fix is as 1 Big Hole said. With all respect to the poster who recommended it, there truly is no need to remove the forearm (unless there is something else wrong not mentioned here). Good luck!
    Flat Top and 4Charlie like this.
    - Stretch®

"If you are a reloader and you don't know Lee, you don't know Jack" (Floydster)

Don't Be Scared©

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Here' the link to the video I use when tearing down my 336 when I got it used last summer! Basic Marlin 336 field strip video. Hope that helps! John
    4Charlie likes this.
    "Windage and elevation, Mrs Langdon. Always remember, windage and elevation!" John Wayne as John Henry Thomas in The Undefeated

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Stretch; The reason I suggested to take off the forend, magazine, etc. There was a fella that got a Marlin so jammed up one day at the range that the lever would not come out of the rifle even after the screw was removed. I suggested he just take the mag off and that solved the problem. When all else fails...remove the magazine and everything frees up and the cartridge can be removed from the magazine recess in the receiver....I know, its a pain in the rear, but for that fella at the range it was his only option. By the way, I was not being Mr. know it all....it just came to mind as an alternative method. I have never had a cartridge hang up, but I rework all my Marlins before I shoot them.
    StretchNM and 4Charlie like this.
    "You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
    - Bob Hagel

...."any achievement is directly proportional to the degree of difficulty, the degree of danger you have to go through". Jeremy Wade 2012

Wrangler
    Member #
    Eli Chaps, thanks for the pointers and the link

I have a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers,

Is there a particular issue I should be looking for when I get my Remiln stripped down ?

There are no sharp/rough parts on the lever or Bolt, Ive polished all that last year, I've never taken it apart further than the field strip. Im up for givingthat a go, but would like to know if there is a common problem I should be looking for when I get her apart. In your experience is there a culprit ?

thanks again

Deadeye
    Member #
    I hear you Flat Top. And, I've read enough (many) of your posts to know you were giving good advice, because it could sure turn out to be a forearm fix under the right circumstance. Never did I think you were over the top.

More than anything, I really just wanted to tell my little dumb story, and demonstrate one of the ways my Marlins have jammed. In hindsight, in that story, I don;t think I had 1.5 rounds on the lifter. I think there was one on the lifter and one underneath. Anyway, like Stray Cat's, it was a bear to fix. I lost my ejector that morning too!
    Last edited by StretchNM; 11-05-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    Flat Top likes this.
    - Stretch®

"If you are a reloader and you don't know Lee, you don't know Jack" (Floydster)

Don't Be Scared©

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by StrayCat View Post
    Eli Chaps, thanks for the pointers and the link

I have a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers,

Is there a particular issue I should be looking for when I get my Remiln stripped down ?

There are no sharp/rough parts on the lever or Bolt, Ive polished all that last year, I've never taken it apart further than the field strip. Im up for givingthat a go, but would like to know if there is a common problem I should be looking for when I get her apart. In your experience is there a culprit ?

thanks again

I don't own a Remington made lever gun so I have no first hand experience with jams on them. There's been a broad spectrum of issues reported here so it would be hard to zero in on anything based on trends.

As mentioned, loose loading gate screws are a common "problem" on all Marlin lever guns. If you do find this, or believe it to be, the issue, the next time you do a full tear down, put a dab of fingernail polish on the threads and it will hold pretty well. Gunk or dents in the mag tube or messed up followers can also cause that issue. Timing is also critical on these actions and from what I have read this is the one key area that I personally believe Remington underestimated. As simple of an action as it is, timing has to be spot on or things bind up.

If it were me, I would give it a detailed strip, cleaning and inspection, to include the mag tube. If all appeared well, I'd put it back together and see what comes of it. As much as I like to do some polishing on the actions, I do not advocate most folks do so "out of the box." That is both because a lot of folks aren't educated enough to do so but more so to give the rifle time to break in. That will help you narrow in on problem areas. I don't mean the educated enough part as an arrogant statement at all, just a statement of learning the action and important considerations and such before diving in there and removing material. It's easy to go too far. Ask me how I know...

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli Chaps View Post
    I don't own a Remington made lever gun so I have no first hand experience with jams on them. There's been a broad spectrum of issues reported here so it would be hard to zero in on anything based on trends.

As mentioned, loose loading gate screws are a common "problem" on all Marlin lever guns. If you do find this, or believe it to be, the issue, the next time you do a full tear down, put a dab of fingernail polish on the threads and it will hold pretty well. Gunk or dents in the mag tube or messed up followers can also cause that issue. Timing is also critical on these actions and from what I have read this is the one key area that I personally believe Remington underestimated. As simple of an action as it is, timing has to be spot on or things bind up.

If it were me, I would give it a detailed strip, cleaning and inspection, to include the mag tube. If all appeared well, I'd put it back together and see what comes of it. As much as I like to do some polishing on the actions, I do not advocate most folks do so "out of the box." That is both because a lot of folks aren't educated enough to do so but more so to give the rifle time to break in. That will help you narrow in on problem areas. I don't mean the educated enough part as an arrogant statement at all, just a statement of learning the action and important considerations and such before diving in there and removing material. It's easy to go too far. Ask me how I know...
    Thanks Erik, I appreciate the tips from everyone here !

Im pretty good with the polishing without removing material, Im also quite cautious generally speaking. had the rifle over a year now.

loading gate screw and others are snug, nothing loose.

Ill do a full tear down and cleaning, including the mag tube, and see if there are any other rough spots

thanks!
    Eli Chaps likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Hi fellas, a follow on to my jam question of yesterday. I looked in the gun-smithing section and did a search but didn't find the answer I'm after, if I missed it feel free to point me to the right post.

I want to understand something/ educate myself before I tear down the 336 fully to clean it

my questions is, i have noticed that on occasion if i don't cycle the lever closed with some decisive action the carrier doesn't fully seat, ie that little tab doesn't poke out the bottom of the receiver and the loading gate wont open. Sometimes if I shake the rifle it will seat. similarly I can re create this more often if the rifle is tilted to one side (ie ejection port down), which is what i was doing when it jammed yesterday while unloading it.

so....is it normal for the carrier to behave like that? is that just a function of how hard I cycle or not, or will this this likely be something that would go away after the tear down and cleaning ?

thanks

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    A little carrier flop isn't uncommon but that is not the same as not properly functioning.

As I said, give it a thorough inspection and cleaning and see how she does.

Marlins generally do not like to cycle loads when turned sideways.

Wrangler
    Member #
    OK, thanks.

Will be cleaning it later this week, off to work for a few days.

thanks again

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links