+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 1893 Tang Sight

Wrangler
    Member #

1893 Tang Sight

I just found and joined this forum recently and unfortunately for my pocketbook found out about JES Rifle Reboring. I sent my 1893 30-30 wall hanger with a shot out barrel to JES on Friday to have it rebored to a 38-55. I am interested in a tang sight for this rifle and was wondering if I could get some recommendations. On a budget of course so price is important but what do you guys thing? Thanks
    Marlin 336RC - 30-30
    Marlin 1893 - 38-55
    Marlin 39A
    The 39A is the last one. Yep definately the last one!
    Marlin 336SC - 35 Rem. I meant this is REALLY the last one... Really... really
    Ok, I give up. Marlin 336A - 35 Rem

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: 1893 Tang Sight

Hey there Hunterj50 -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. That is about all that you will ever see on this post from here on that isn't a budget buster!! You should end up with a fine rifle when you get it back. There are a bunch of sights available, but not all of them will work. The Lyman tang sight is made for your rifle but doesn't have a windage adjustment. My opinion is that windage adjustment is a basic necessity for a longer range tang sight. Marbles makes one for your rifle as well, but the bolt will crash into it to some degree or another. I'm not a big fan of that concept either. I went with a mid-range Montana Vintage Arms (.com) Sharps Vernier on mine and I'm pleased with the arrangement. I ordered a Stevens Rifle base and with some machining, mounted it backwards on the tang, using the factory drilled and tapped holes in the tang. Thus, no modifications to the rifles tang, and a sight that will reach out there. Plenty of clearance for the bolt as well. Hope this helps some. Best regards. Wind

Member #

I just sent you an e-mail about another thread on the 336 Forum called 'peeps versus scopes' that I posted on twice. There are no modern reproductions of Lyman's original tang sight for your model (code JA) that the very long bolt throw backwards won't collide with your sight. The Marbles sight the same. An original Lyman tang sight for your rifle will set you back about $150.00-$175.00 if you can find one, and make sure the code stamped under the base plate is JA. I put a photo of one of my rifles with this sight installed on the other thread. Wind is right about twice. Nothing to do with these rifles and pistols won't bust your budget and secondly he's got an interesting mickey moused vernier type sight he's installed which would be interesting to see as would be the price he paid for it ! One has to mickey mouse anything but the original sight,
    good luck. Your .38-55 should be fun when you get it back.
    If my wife asks....all guns cost five bucks and ammo is free !!!

Wrangler
    Member #

Thanks for the replys. Yeah I knew the minute I sent the post it was dumb to even mention budget. I have been trying to understand the Lyman JA vs J models and appreciate it being cleared up. I am leaning towards the Lyman but will check into the vernier too. Do the Lyman sights ever come up for sale on this forum and where would I look?

You know I got this Marlin from my father in law when he passed and the story is he got it from his dad. Hard to verify now as no one even knew he had it until he was gone as he was not a shooter and we found it in his attic. It sat in my gun safe for 15 years until I got interested in my clubs cast bullet sillouette matches. I tried and tried but even with 45 years of reloading and casting experience I just could not get it to shoot. A friend scoped the barel and we found it is just a mess. Rusted and pitted. Now I can't wait to get it back. Thanks again for the help.
    Marlin 336RC - 30-30
    Marlin 1893 - 38-55
    Marlin 39A
    The 39A is the last one. Yep definately the last one!
    Marlin 336SC - 35 Rem. I meant this is REALLY the last one... Really... really
    Ok, I give up. Marlin 336A - 35 Rem

Member #

Hey ya'll -- Actually that sight base is the result of hours of searching sight configurations, and at least an hour on the phone with Lars of Montana Vintage Arms with a pencil in one hand and a set of calipers in the other. Then a good part of a day laying out and machining holes and custom screws to make the prototype base work on two different rifles. The base on the 1893 fits well with no alteration the the rifle. The same for a 336 Cowboy with the exception of an extra hole drilled and tapped in the tang. The set up has proven itself at over 1000 yards on the 336 and I am confident it will work as well on the 1893 (32-40 caliber). The sight staff can be used on three different rifles with equally fine results. There is no bubble gum or bailing wire incorporated in the design, and no blue polly tarps were injured during construction. Mickey Mouse or Cracker Jack's had no part in the design. Best regards. Wind
    Sparky civil likes this.

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterj50
    Thanks for the replys. Yeah I knew the minute I sent the post it was dumb to even mention budget. I have been trying to understand the Lyman JA vs J models and appreciate it being cleared up. I am leaning towards the Lyman but will check into the vernier too. Do the Lyman sights ever come up for sale on this forum and where would I look?

You know I got this Marlin from my father in law when he passed and the story is he got it from his dad. Hard to verify now as no one even knew he had it until he was gone as he was not a shooter and we found it in his attic. It sat in my gun safe for 15 years until I got interested in my clubs cast bullet sillouette matches. I tried and tried but even with 45 years of reloading and casting experience I just could not get it to shoot. A friend scoped the barel and we found it is just a mess. Rusted and pitted. Now I can't wait to get it back. Thanks again for the help.

Near the bottom of Marlin Owners is a other for sale, wanted or trade section, post a wanted in that area you may find what you seek.

One place that is often overlooked for a tang sight is Thompson Center, they make a small base for their Hawken series, don't know if it is still available or not. Had one years ago but let it go to a friend into long range shooting.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Member #

Well you know what I meant Wind !! I'm sure you put great science and time into your design. It works does it not? As for the codes on the vintage Lyman tang sights the sights stamped J are specifically to be installed on .32-40 and .38-55 Black Powder rifles. The sights stamped JA are for ALL the smokeless models of 1893 inclusive of those in .32-40 and .38-55 calibres. It's a matter of trajectory that the each type have been calibrated. E-Bay is one source of these sights. By the way the fact that windage adjustments are not possible on the vintage sights put out by Lyman really isn't a big deal. The front sight can easily be drifted, or the sight base plate shimmed with cigarette papers or both if you wish,
    Good luck
    finloq likes this.
    If my wife asks....all guns cost five bucks and ammo is free !!!

Member #

One thing I will say as a retired Tool & Die maker, if it's made of metal you can modify, weld, mill, cut, drill, tap or even make a new base if necessary. You just have to get to the right person with the knowledge.

I would not be afraid to shorten a base, smooth it back out locate it where it needs to be and silver solder it in place if necessary. It could also be mounted from the inside of the tang by attaching from the bottom.

If it looks right then it's okay far as I'm concerned. Here is my model 36 made in 1947 it is drilled and tapped for a tang sight but came with a Lyman 56 a sawed off buttstock and had the oversized fore end when I purchased it. I think it looks right now, period wise very few of the average citizen would realize the difference. I like it now and it is a favorite plinker with cast and plated squib loads.

Top photo as purchased

Bottom photo as modified
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bbri4570 likes this.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Do not use any type of paper to shim a sight. Use brass shim stock that you can get at any auto parts store.

maxmo

Member #

Pop can shims are my favorite, here in Michigan they only cost a dime.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links