+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 308MX Lever Lockup

Tinhorn
    Member #
    The action is stiff a bit, probable because it is new. I was able to zero with 6 rds. At 100 yards the shot groups were ¾ inches or less. The stock look like is made of red or brown oak, it has a light brown color.

Wrangler
    Member #
    i have also noticed a "stiff" ejection. never had any real trouble other than some rounds (all factory) ejected easy and some were tough to work the action. figured this was the newness of the rifle. after reading this it sounds like i can do something to improve those tough ejections. the problem is, i have no gunsmithing skills. i feel comfortable removing the bolt/lever/etc for cleaning but am not sure what parts you guys are referring to for polishing? can someone provide pics or a layman's explanation?

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
    It's a rough chamber. I had the same thing on my 338 MX. Chuck a cleaning rod in your drill, and put on a shotgun mop. Use some polishing compound and run it into the chamber. Polish it and keep checking. Although it wont's get rid of all the roughness, it will greatly inprove it to where it's not sticking. If you want, take it to a gunsmith, and have him do a complete chamber polishing.
    didn't mean to imply that this wasn't a thorough explanation but didn't want to try this without more details... i'm picturing me jacking this up and then needing a real gunsmith!

Team Marlin Express Co-Capt'n Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
    Member #
    No worries wayneo73

First get a bore mop, these are mostly used for shotgun cleaning. I found one at Wally World in .410 gauge for $1.50.
    Find a 3 piece cleaning rod that the bore mop will screw into. I have 3 or 4 of these from cleaning kits I've bought over the years. If you need to buy a new one, again Wally World for around $12.
    You only need to use the last 3rd of the cleaning rod. One end chucked into a drill (variable speed is the best) and the other with the bore mop screwed in.
    I used Butch's Bore Shine and if that's what you use you'll want to be in a ventilated area as it has a strong ammonia odor.
    Remove the bolt (see Gunsmithing Section), soak the bore mop, then slide it into the chamber and start polishing.
    I don't think you can ruin your rifle's chamber this way, however, if that concerns you go slow at first and check the chamber often for polishing marks.

Sorry I don't have pictures but I hope the description helps.
    Last edited by Three_oh_8MX; 01-18-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: poor semantics
    wayneo73 likes this.
    -chris

Team Marlin Express
    308 Marlin Express
    338 Marlin Express

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Three_oh_8MX View Post
    then slide it into the bore and start polishing.
    thanks for the additional info. just one point of clarification... your original post says to polish the "chamber" using said technique and this response says to polish the "bore". i'm assuming you meant chamber (cause i don't see how polishing the bore would help improve ejecting spent cartridges) but you know what they say about assuming!
    Three_oh_8MX likes this.

Team Marlin Express Co-Capt'n Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
    Member #
    Fixed my poor semantics.
    Like many simple procedures, its much easier to preform than explain.
    -chris

Team Marlin Express
    308 Marlin Express
    338 Marlin Express

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by juan328 View Post
    The action is stiff a bit, probable because it is new. I was able to zero with 6 rds. At 100 yards the shot groups were ¾ inches or less. The stock look like is made of red or brown oak, it has a light brown color.
    Nope, it's walnut. Problem is a lot of the walnut trees in the US are being killed off by a parasite / disease combination (UC Davis Department of Entomology - News: Beetle and Fungus One-Two Punch Threatens Black Walnut Trees, Scientists Warn) so nice looking American walnut is getting harder to find and WAY more expensive.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Very new to the Marlin rifle

I'm very new to the Marlin rifle. Despite many negative reviews of the Marlin 308 MX, I decided to purchase this rifle. Got it last week (guys at gun store installed/bore sighted 1X4X32 scope ) and off I went to nearby shooting range. Rifle (Marlin 308 MX, serial number, MR 00XXXC, proof markings left site REP and the right site CG- I think it means April 2012) has one small imperfection (aesthetics that I will fix myself) where the stack meets the metal, otherwise it looks very good. With a few boxes of ammunition (Hornady LEVERevolution FTX 160 Grain), I started at the 50 yards target. The first 3 shots were somewhat below and to the left of the center. After a small adjustment the next 3 shots were almost in the center, let's say within 1 inch circle. I decided to move up to 100 yards. The first 3 shots were again tightly group and about 2 inches high. Again, a small adjustment and another 3 shots near the perfect center. After about 15 min. break I shot 3 more bullets and all 3 were about 5 inches high and 4, 5 and 7 inches to the right of the center. Not sure what to think about it , the temperature was 85°F, there was virtually no wind and I used the same box of ammunition. Shot another 3 bullets with the same results, high and to the right of the center. I checked the rifle and everything seems fine including the rifle scope. For more than 30 years I used only a bolt action rifle and don't recall anything remotely similar. I would appreciate your thoughts on this subject.

Thank you,

Mark

Cowpoke
    Member #
    It really sounds like a scope or base problem, I would try another scope and see if the problem still exists, if it happens with another scope, send the rifle back for repair.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

different scope

I was afraid you may say that, tomorrow is going to be a different scope. Thank you, Mark

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links