+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1894 Marlin USED, how much????

Tinhorn
    Member #

1894 Marlin USED, how much????

Found an 1894 today in a pawn shop, that goes off pawn & on sale in 15 days. It has some rust starting on the receiver, and looks well used. The action, well, it is smooth as glass. I told the guy I may be back in a couple of weeks if he wasn't going to be asking some ridiculous price for it. He asked what I'd consider ridiculous, and I told him anything near $500 would be ridiculous in my opinion.

So, what do you guys think? What would you consider a fair price?

Thanks guys.
    Team 45/70 Member # 575.

I'm NEVER late. If I'm late, it's because I'm dead.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    If it's a 44 Mag, I'd say $350-400 would be a decent price, as long as it works fine and the only issues are cosmetic.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    What caliber is it?? I've been browsing around and for 44mag, $500 is the average price I've seen. For 357mag, it's more like $550-600 for JM stamped ones. And a fair price is a relative term. It all depends on the individual looking at the rifle, you should ask yourself what price would YOU pay for it, because holding out for a "fair" price for a rifle you want that isnt' made anymore is kinda silly. These things sell fast too. I lost two rifles because I was asking around what was a "fair" price is and next thing you know, it's gone.

Cowpoke
    Member #
    By me they ask 480. on up

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Just paid $485.00 for one online.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I have one for sale in the clasifieds and if the guy shows up tomorrow like he says he will its actually sold. I had it priced at $475 and it was on the classified for less than 10 hours (and I slept 6 of those haours) before we worked out the arrangements for picking it up and there are at least three hoping the deal falls through. I wanted a quick sell with a fair price for both of us.

I imagine I could have gotten more but I set my price by going to 5 auction sites and looked to see where used rifles in good condition were really selling. $500 seemed to be the break right now for 44MAG. I found 8 or 10 that had sold for $450- $500 that sold quick that were in worse shape than mine (mine looks almost new) Used rifles over $500 were all just sitting there zero bids. Also I was comparing it to the brand new 45LC I bought at the Ft Worth Cabelas for $529 in January.

A good clean one can be had on the internet for right around $500. I wouldn't give the guy $500 for one with a lot of rust scars in the blueing but even a little rust won't knock the price down much. My guess is that every month you wait the price just goes up.

There weren't but a one or two used 1894s at the massive Ft Worth gun show (not counting the ridiculously overpriced antiques (I say that because even a high dollar antique will get used in my arsenal. If it sits unused it gets sold.)) this weekend and all of the were marked $500 or more. There weren't more than 5 new 1994s either. I have walked several smaller shows here in North Texas in the last 4 months since I got out of the hospital and other than FT Worth this weekend have seen not one single used 1894, and very few new ones.

I did get lucky and snag an 1894 PG at thae show priced like a used straight gun. I am lucky that way.

Shop arround on the internet. You may still have to spent $500 but it won't be all rusty.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Prices seem to vary quite a lot depending on the rifle's age, condition, caliber and where its located.

I try to limit my interest strictly to Marlins built prior to 2008. If the rifle is used, I prefer wood that doesn't have flaws beyond a few very minor scratches. I want steel that isn't scratched beyond a few little normal handling marks here and there; lightly worn blueing is fine. A smooth action and a good bore are a must. Thus, I tend to pay prices on the higher end of the scale.

If the 1894 you're looking at meets my criteria, and its .44 mag, I'd expect to pay $450 to $550. Add $50-$100 if its a .357 mag. Add a little more for stainless. Add more if its NIB or LNIB. Add more if its special, like a Cowboy Limited. That's just based on my limited experience buying in gun shops and on line during the past year. Prices are trending upward for JM stamped Marlins because they're won't ever be another one manufactured.

If the 1894 is clean, not badly worn or misused and has the JM barrel stamp, you can't go too wrong at $500. If it's overpriced $50, by this time next year it will have appreciated $50. In 5 years, you'll enjoy nice value appreciation beyond $500. At least that's my opinion. A whole lot depends on your gut feeling; if the rifle really grabs you, go for it. If you're luke warm, know that there are still lots of Marlins on the market beyond the local shops.

Also, don't forget that it doesn't cost anything to offer a lower price, especially with visible cash in hand.

I'm not an expert by any means, so consider all you hear here to make a decision.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Does anyone know if Remington is making any 1894's now? I have a hunch that they are getting ready to cut their losses, and maybe focus on whatever is the biggest selling guns that are the easiest to make and turn a profit from. I am thinking a square bolt design doesn't make 1894's exactly easy to make. These guns selling for 500 now just may be the last of their kind. If I was in the market I would not quibble too much, just focus on a good clean one and secure it as I think the price will rise as the supply starts to dry up.
    1895 45-70 GS, 1894 45 Colt
    Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. Henry 22LR Frontier
    Rossi M-92 454 Casull

"When I hold you in my arms
    and I feel my finger on your trigger
    I know nobody can do me no harm"..

JM, RIP..

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Last I heard they are not making any as of 2012. And with all these horror stories on new ones, I would stay away from the new ones and look for a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnest View Post
    Does anyone know if Remington is making any 1894's now? I have a hunch that they are getting ready to cut their losses, and maybe focus on whatever is the biggest selling guns that are the easiest to make and turn a profit from. I am thinking a square bolt design doesn't make 1894's exactly easy to make. These guns selling for 500 now just may be the last of their kind. If I was in the market I would not quibble too much, just focus on a good clean one and secure it as I think the price will rise as the supply starts to dry up.
    eaglesnest likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Well I picked up a1980 357 the other day for 300otd, only thing wrong was a couple of initials scratched in the barrel and lever. A little work with a file, and a few stones,a touch of cold blue......she's a great shooter.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links