Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Marlin 1894 Pre Safety

14K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  44-40 Willy 
#1 ·
Is a Marlin 1894c without the crossbolt safety worth more than an 1894cs with the safety? Is the build quality as good on the ones with the safety or better than the ones with the safety pre Remlin of course. What is the ballpark price of a pre safety 1894c in excellent condition vs an 1894cs with the safety?

Thanks

#2 ·
Look at GunBroker. I don't think there is much difference. The safety first appeared on the 94's in the early 70's [someone reference this please]

The absence of a safety is more desirable for Cowboy action but less so for hunting rifles. Many CAS shooters remove the safety; there is a block that replaces it.

I have a 1969 made 94 carbine (no safety) that was later converted into a Cowboy model, however I have 4 other 94s with safeties. You can tighten the set screw so the safety will remain off.

DD

Reactions: tjmga and sazarian
#3 · (Edited)
I'd have to agree with Doc, I don't think they are worth any more or any less, I just think the pre-safety 1894's tend to be a bit more desireable. Again, It all depends on the purpose the buyer is buying it for. The safety dosent bother me, I wouldn't base my buying criteria on wether one has or doesn't have a safety, I'd focus more on function and condition of the gun.

#6 · (Edited)
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is correct, my 81 does'nt have a saftey. Also I would'nt let a saftey stop me from buying if I ran across a good deal but I'd prefer a non saftey myself, mainly because there would likely be no quality issues with one that age.

#10 ·
I would not own a CBS marlin. Seeing it there reminds me of how our society has DE-evolved. Lack of tort reform, lack of personal responsibility......I'll stop there. But what would one expect from a population that has (had) 65 million Obama supporters. Its a wounder you dont have to issue a public warning, put out orange cones and sound a 3 second warning horn before you can put a bullet in the air! CBS & the slippery slope, were on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.