Qustions about the 1894FG
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

I am in the process of getting a new 1894FG, but have a couple of questions about it.
    Why is the FG the only 1894 with micro-groove riflings and how does this effect accuracy?
    This one is probably trivial, but the pistol grip stock isn't very comfortable to me. It could be that I just need to get used to it, but, would it be possible to put a straight stock and lever on an FG?
    ABROWN

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I bought one and was very unhappy with the accuracy with cast bullets.sold it and have vowed "never" another MG marlin.
    I am a bullet caster/avid reloader and for me to give up on a rifle takes alot.I only have praise for my 1894P 44 mag.it has shot everything 44 special/44 mag jacketed and cast bullets, VERY accurate ballard rifling is the answer.
    pete

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

In contrast to txpete's experiences, I'm pretty well pleased with my FG. It will hold about 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards with both handloaded jacketed and cast bullets. I'm still tinkering to get it to feed heavier cast loads more reliably but, overall, it's a keeper. I guess it's like any other mass produced product--quality can vary from one to another as they come off the assembly line. I do believe the conversion work you mention is possible.
    Some profess that they "aim to please". On the contrary, it pleases me to aim.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

retro I am sure mine was a yellow lemon of the highest order.I know that marlin test fires these before they leave the factory.that one shouldn't have been shipped. :shock:
    fwiw.I tried .410/.411/.412/unsized and about 10 different alloys.
    pete

Tenderfoot
    Member #

I shoot Nosler, Sierra and Remington jacketed bullets, and Cast Performance Bullets for cast. The 255 gr CPB is my standard load in a 6 1/2" Blackhawk chambered in 41 mag, a 14" Contender in 41 mag and a 14" Contender in a 41 GNR2. I'm hoping these bullets will work in the Marlin action as well. I've heard good and bad things about the micro-groove riflings in Marlin rifles.
    ABROWN

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

hope you get a good one
    pete

6pt-sika

I have one , accuracy with 210 XTP's and Nosler 210's was good.I also have the Lyman mold for the 210 grain cast bullet , however I've had a real problem finding gas checks that seat well. So I haven't tried cast bullets in it :?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

6pt-sika -- Have you tried .416 gas checks?
    Some profess that they "aim to please". On the contrary, it pleases me to aim.

Wrangler
    Member #

I've had an 1894S in .41 Magnum, Micro Groove, since I bought it new in 1987. I put a Williams 5D receiver sight on it years ago, and have shot many different cast and jacketed bullets through it.

With my handloads, it will do 3" at 100 yards, and with my older-than-most-here eyes, that suits me just fine. Anyone who can't kill a deer at 100 yards with a "three inch" rifle, oughta go back to Shooters' School 101. :lol:

A Mule deer, several coyotes, and many ground squirrels have fallen to that Micro Groove barrel.

FWIW. L.W.
    Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces."

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

With my handloads, it will do 3" at 100 yards, and with my older-than-most-here eyes, that suits me just fine. Anyone who can't kill a deer at 100 yards with a "three inch" rifle, oughta go back to Shooters' School 101.

yup but if you have one thats just like lighting**won't hit the same place twice** then its a door stop.

as far as shooters school I guess 20+ in the army and being on the shooting team at ft hood tx must be 102.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links