Thread: 440 corbon

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

440 corbon

Anybody every try one of these in an 1894? I think it really sounds fun, possibly even a 357/440 would be a hoot.

thanks
    micky

Member #

Re: 440 corbon

Looks like I get to be the guinea pig. One 1894 on the way to Ben Forkin to start the 440 conversion. This will take a while to get done but I will send out updates as I get them.

micky

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Contributing Member
    Member #

Sounds like fun! Keep us posted. Have you two already discussed all that's involved, and projected costs? I'm guessing it will involve a stock 1894/44 Mag, then rechambering the barrel and opening up the bolt face.......am I close? Any feed geometry changes?
    “He who goes unarmed in Paradise had better be sure that that is where he is." (James Thurber)

What would Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton do if there were no more racial discrimination? . They couldn't shake down any more rich white guys. They would have to ... well ... they would have to go find an honest job." (John Goodman)

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn
    Sounds like fun! Keep us posted. Have you two already discussed all that's involved, and projected costs? I'm guessing it will involve a stock 1894/44 Mag, then rechambering the barrel and opening up the bolt face.......am I close? Any feed geometry changes?
    There are some mods necessary. Costs, well it is going to take some time and I want it done right not fast. Since the 440 Corbon is a 50 AE necked down to .429 the bolt face stays the same. The tube has to be thinned out a bit to clear the 50 AE case. There are going to be so issues that may come up, whether or not the cast boolits I plan on using with require a little stretch in the action or not. I am having a longer barrel put on the gun. I wanted a 22" barrel with an 18" tube, similar to some of the older Marlins. I figure that barrel length should get me right on the heels of a 444 which is a good place to be, I just have a smaller package.

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

This sounds like a very interesting project. I hope you'll keep us well informed of your progress every step of the way.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

Member #

I wish I had the skill to complete such a task but I don't. All I can do is give out updates as I get them and maybe get some pics along the way. I am in Ohio and the gun is in transit to Montana.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links