+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

New Marlin 1894c, Big problem.

Hey marlinowners! I hate for this to be our first meeting but oh well.

I just picked up my brand new Marlin 1894c about 2 months ago and haven't had time to shoot yet and thought I better do so before finals begin.
    Well, I got off about 150 rounds and everything was smooth. However, on the last magazine I was going to shoot, the second cartridge got stuck in the magazine and would not release onto the carrier (this can be seen in first pic). After fidgeting with it for a while I decided I better go home and do some research.

I first tried to remove the lever and disassemble the action so I could try and remove the stuck cartridge but soon realized the lever must be half way open to remove the screw, which I was not able to do because it is stuck all the way open. I then read a few things on these forums and saw that it was an easy fix and all I had to do was remove the magazine and I would soon be on my way.......until I tried to remove it.

As you can see in these pictures the magazine tube plug screw is severely bent at such an angle that I cannot remove it, I never noticed this and must have come like that from the factory because I have not touched this thing since I bought it. So I will obviously be ordering a new screw asap, but what are my options, should I cut the screw out? I don't have anything that small to fit in there and snip at it with. It has also occurred to me I will have to fix this myself because there are 8 rounds in the magazine and cannot send it off for repairs. So....suggestions? comments? I need some help please.

Is it the shoulder thing that goes up?

Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: New Marlin 1894c, Big problem.

Hey Brandon,and welcome to MO. You have thought of eveything I would have.Yep its got to come off. Lots of quality problems latley with the new Marlins.Tomorrow youll have more qualified people giving you advice than me. Ive just stoped by to say I feel for ya and Im sure help is coming.I started on here with a question too Youve come to the right place.
    Welcome from South Carolina, Gunrunner,,
    Guns dont kill people.Dads with pretty Daughters do..

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Hello gunrunner, and thanks for your insight. I only hope this is a minor issue and I did not make a mistake purchasing the gun, I am a college student and this was a very indulgent buy.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Hey Brandon,
    Is the lifter what has the round stuck in the mag tub or is it just stuck in the mag tube and you don't know what has it stuck?
    I have a 336 that frustrates me in the worst way cause the rounds will get stuck in the mag tube periodically too. It is a 3030 and it looks like the hole in the receiver is just out of round enough that the rounds get hung up. They actually get stuck in the reciever before the lifter stops them, without touching the lifter. I can cycle the action and sometimes they will pop free, other times I've had to push the rounds back up in the mag tube with a pen. I have cleaned and dissassembled this rifle and everything looks fine so that is why I am not sure exactly what to do either. Anyway good luck with your 1894C and please let us know how you make out.
    Marlin 1895LTD II .45-70 Gov't
    Marlin 1895ABL .45-70 Gov't
    Marlin 1894SS .44 Mag
    Marlin 1894CB .357 mag
    Marlin 336CB .38-55 Win
    Marlin 336XLR .35 Rem
    Marlin 336C .35 Rem
    Marlin 336D .35 Rem
    Marlin 1936. .30-30 Win
    Marlin 39AS .22LR
    Marlin 25. .22LR
    Marlin 17VS. .17 HMR

Life/Endowment member NRA--New York State Rifle and Pistol Association Member
    Semper Fi

Gunfighter
    Member #

On Marlins, to close the lever, the carrier must rise to the level of the chamber, then drop to let a cartridge out of the magazine onto the carrier. If something prevents the carrier from rising, the lever will not close.
    First you need to push the cartridges back into the magazine. A wooden chopstick or popsicle stick will do. Try pushing the cartridge from the loading port or the ejection port. This may free the carrier enough to let it slide past the base of the cartridge and allow the lever to close.
    Second, remove the lever screw. This will take some pressure off the lever and carrier and may allow you to close the lever enough to remove it.
    Once you can remove the lever, also remove the bolt and ejector. Then re-install the lever and screw without the bolt. A properly timed 1894 will feed cartridges from the magazine and partially chamber them without the bolt in place.
    If you can't remove the cartridges by working them through the action, you can work them out through the loading port with your finger or a wooden stick once you have freed the carrier.

Send the rifle back to Marlin/Remington. They should repair the magazine plug screw under warranty and correct the jamming problem.
    Let us know if this solves your problem.
    M.
    We need to support the rights of owners of "assualt rifles" and "high capacity magazines"
    Otherwise our guns WILL be next!
    The Henry 44 lever action rifle (16 rounds) The "assualt rifle" of the Civil war.
    The Winchester 1873 (15 rounds) The "assault rifle" of the Indian wars.
    The MARLIN 1894 (10 rounds) The "assault rifle" of 2013 New York gun laws.
    DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO OPPOSE THE OBAMA GUN LAWS!

Gun Wizard
    Member #

brandon91, welcome to MO!! Your problem sure seems to be a nasty one. Seems you are correct about the magazine screw being bent, if you can see if you can back it out and take the magazine tube off. You might try to contact Erik ( Eli Chaps ) Swany, Tomray or Halwg, they have more knowledge about Marlins than anyone else I know. Take care, keep us in the loop, John.
    Just keep on keeping on.
    It's not what you do, it's how you do what you do, that counts.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skills.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

+1 On what 80hp said!

And welcome to MO!

Jon
    IITimothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
    In order: Marlins 1894C, Golden 39M, 1894CSS, 1894 .45 Colt, 795, 1894CL .25-20
    Team 1894 Member #29!
    Team 39 Member #18!
    Marlin League #8!!

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #

Try 80hp's advice though if the magazine tube has actually moved forward, it may be quite frustrating trying to get the round back into the tube. Go slow and walk away if you find yourself getting mad.

If you follow 80hp's input and still can't get the rounds out, you can pull the trigger plate off (provided as I said you can get the lever and bolt out).

Here is a thread on disassembly" http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,26786.0.html

Do you have a smith anywhere nearby?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Ok, so I followed 80hp's advice and tried pushing the cartridges back in, but I could not seem to get the right angle to put enough pressure on the round to get it to move (remember there are 8 rounds in the tube). Also, after more closely examining it, the carrier looks like it is pushing slightly upward on the case, making the base of the cases lip hang over the entrance to the magazine tube, further hindering me to be able to push them forward. I fidgeted with it for quite a while trying to move the carrier or pry the cartridge down enough to release with no avail, I'm also not too comfortable prodding at the primer end of a tube full of .38 specials. So, what now? I'm guessing the only other option would to cut the tube screw out some how. Any opinions or suggestions on how to cut it in that small of a space . And I cannot remove the trigger plate as the lever is stuck fully open, and can't be removed.

PS. After looking through the expanded view of my rifle in the manual it appears there should be a stud in between the magazine and the barrel that the screw goes through that is not there? Maybe that is the reason it became bent, some one forgot a part at the factory.

Thank you

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by brandon91
    Ok, so I followed 80hp's advice and tried pushing the cartridges back in, but I could not seem to get the right angle to put enough pressure on the round to get it to move (remember there are 8 rounds in the tube). Also, after more closely examining it, the carrier looks like it is pushing slightly upward on the case, making the base of the cases lip hang over the entrance to the magazine tube, further hindering me to be able to push them forward. I fidgeted with it for quite a while trying to move the carrier or pry the cartridge down enough to release with no avail, I'm also not too comfortable prodding at the primer end of a tube full of .38 specials. So, what now? I'm guessing the only other option would to cut the tube screw out some how. Any opinions or suggestions on how to cut it in that small of a space . And I cannot remove the trigger plate as the lever is stuck fully open, and can't be removed.

PS. After looking through the expanded view of my rifle in the manual it appears there should be a stud in between the magazine and the barrel that the screw goes through that is not there? Maybe that is the reason it became bent, some one forgot a part at the factory.

Thank you
    On my 1894 the screw that is bent on yours doesn't thread into the barrel, but just into the top side of the mag tune. At the tip of the screw is a centering pin that sits in a little groove cut in the bottom of the barrel. It is the barrel band that holds the mag tube on, and if you take the front sight off you can slide the barrel band off, and then maybe have a little room to cut the end of that screw off and take it out. At least that is how I remember mine was put together. I don't have my rifle here to look at so am going by memory, which isn't that great. Best of luck.
    1895 45-70 GS, 1894 45 Colt
    Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. Henry 22LR Frontier
    Rossi M-92 454 Casull

"When I hold you in my arms
    and I feel my finger on your trigger
    I know nobody can do me no harm"..

JM, RIP..

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links