+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JimmyP

Marlin 1894 .357 magnum on deer

My local dealer has a Marlin .357 magnum for about $420.00 and I like it as it is light and handy feeling. I have no real need for the rifle, but then I never do when I buy a new one! I have killed deer with a 44 mag out of a Marlin rifle but have never shot one with a .357 in either pistol or rifle. I don't hunt with a pistol but I have a desire to use the .357 rifle this deer season. I usually hunt where shots are not more than 50 yards and I might see deer from medium doe size up to not more than probably 150 pounds or so in a buck. What has been the experience of the forum members here with regards to the effectiveness of this cartridge on deer. I will most always shoot factory ammunition so if you have an opinion there I would welcome this as well. Jimmyp

6pt-sika

Like you I have killed a few with the 44mag in a rifle , with good results. But last year I got a couple with an 1894FG in 41 mag and was less then impressed, none were over 65 yards . I already own a pair of Marlin's in 357 but am a little concerned :? When I shot the deer last season with the 41 , I shot each twice with no apperent effect ( as if you had missed ) and later after skinning I found all shots to be where thet were aimed For my 357's I have a 215 grain cast bullet load to use in my 1894CB and in the 1894P I have a jacketed 180 grain Nosler bullet to try . I'll probably try both , but hold my shots to 40 yards or less :!: GOOD LUCK :!:

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

With my .357CB I've never put more than one bullet in a Michigan white tail, and all have died quickly. One head shot at 35yds, one heart lung at 135 paces, 160lb 8pt buck, one heart lung on a doe at 40yds. The buck went the farthest 30 paces from the bullet impact. All shots were taken with the upmost care and consideration. After all a .357 158gn soft nose does go faster at 100yds than anything with blood in it on this planet whether it swims, crawls, flies or runs. The key is to make sure of your shot and then take it. A modern .357 158gn bullet is a quite a bit more powerful than a turn of century, deer rifle of most calibers.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Wrangler
    Member #

You'll likely get the usual mixed replies with this post. It can be a heated discussion! LOL!

I personally "prefer" my 1894C 357 magnum for most of my deer hunting here in SW Virginia. I also love my 357 Blackhawk for deer too. I've killed several with my Blackhawk, as well as a "bunch" with my 1894C. I can with no doubts assure you that your 357 rifle will kill deer as cleanly, and quickly as any other caliber out to 100 yards with a good 158g SP load in it.

I handload Remington 158g SPs(bulk from Midway) in my deer loads, and in my opinion it's the about the best bullet you can use. It offers both very good penetration, as well as just enough expansion, and in a rifle the trajectory is better with 158g bullets, which helps simplify things "in the heat of the moment".

I know the heavier bullets work OK, but I've tried a slew of different bullets in various weights from 125g to 180g, and I always go back to a 158g load. HPs will let you down enough with poor penetration to cause me to avoid them all together in a 357 rifle for deer. I'm not a fan of hard cast 357 bullets for deer because with basically no expansion, they tend to let a deer go a looong ways before he piles up, even with perfect shot placement.

My 158g deer load is clocking about 1700 fps at the muzzle, and kills deer quickly, and cleanly up to 100 yards, even if I opt to bust a shoulder(my preference) on impact. If you limit your self to factory ammo, stick with a good 158g SP, and your velocity from that rifle should put you right where you need to be for deer up to 100 yards.

For what it's worth, my 357 Blackhawk load is the same bullet at around 1300+ fps, and is just as deadly on deer, with nearly identical results out to 40-50 yards

I hope this helps, and if you have any doubts, try what I suggested, and then report back. Remember to post the pictures!
    quealing rabbit, sneaking predator, 357 rifle, and frozen fingers. It just don't get no better than this!

Tinhorn
    Member #

Jerry said it all! He convinced me to try out my 1894C on Deer and I'll never go back to shooting at Deer with magnum cartridges again. I have taken several Deer now and have never had one go over 75 yds after being hit and never recovered a bullet. I use a handload using Speer's Unicore design of 158gr SP. I have also used the Remington 158gr SP that have done me just as well. If you keep the range down to 100yds or less you'll be just fine using that 1894C! Good luck and post some pics when you get one this winter. If you ever get into handloading Jerry has a killer recipe for plinking or taking smaller game, its' great for varmints. I use a magnum primer though with mine simply because I have too many of them lying around!

CCI-550 Primer
    7.5gr Unique Powder
    Starline Brass
    125gr JHP or SP
    gives 1500+fps.
    linching due to heavy recoil, is only a state of mind!

Deadeye
    Member #

You need to go over to leverguns.com to see what Andy from England has done with the 1894C in AFRICA. He's using the 158s exclusively for reasons of legal limitation and availability. His gun is scoped.

The 158s can be pushed to 2000 fps and 180s to 1700 from the 1894C. Those 158s approach .30-30 performance (and particularly original .30 WCF loads). Why wouldn't they work. I do think that the gun is probably limited to about 125 yards practical limit but that matters not at all here in the Shenandoah Valley!

The gun is VERY pleasant to shoot and with .38 Special ammo is a fine small game gun. It is very effective on groundhogs, fox (and fox sized feline animals) and coyotes. It would be a really good housegun for those restricted from handgun possession.

All in all, except for that darn cross-bolt safety on the new ones, it is probably the most versatile and useful levergun in Marlin's line-up.
    Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." R. L. Stevenson

Shooting with Hobie

Wrangler
    Member #

Hey there Carwi!

long time no see! LOL! The CCI 550s are magnum primers.

I lost the vast majority of my digital photos in the big "Divorce", but here's one of a Blackhawk deer I killed. This particular deer just reared up, and fell in his tracks after taking a Remington 158g SP through the vitals. Granted, it's a smaller deer, but this revolver has done just as well on some truly big bodied deer.

quealing rabbit, sneaking predator, 357 rifle, and frozen fingers. It just don't get no better than this!

Tinhorn
    Member #

If someone would kindly explain how to post a photo, I'll show you a cow elk I killed with 357 MAG revolver a few years ago. Wasn't planned at all.

My brother and I set up our elk camp in the foothills of the Bighorns. Just before dusk, I climbed the ridge to look over the territory we planned to hunt the next morning. My .308 elk rifle was in camp. I'd strapped on my 357 revolver for protection against bears and such. Not planning to hunt with it all.

As I glassed the canyons and meadows, I heard a sound to my right. Slowy turning my head revealed 4 cow elk and 3 yearlings in single file. I quietly removed the revolver and sighted directly into the crease behind the shoulder of the largest cow. Ka POW and the elk trotted away at an angle, I fired again. The animal vanished into the timber.

Back at camp my brother gathered our lanterns and field butchering outfits. We found that cow dead as Julius Caesar less than 150 yards from the first shot. When we dressed her, both bullets were found. First one broke a rib and tore through both lungs. Second bullet hit farther back but tore up the diaphram and liver. No wonder this animal gave up the ghost. Ammo was CCI with 158 grain jacketed hollow tip.

Is the 357 MAG an ideal elk cartridge? No. But it worked this time.

Would I attempt this shot again? No, I learned 357 MAG is illegal for elk. My goof and I should've known better.

Is 357 adequate for deer up close? Yes, I'm certain it will produce a lethal wound.

Is 357 MAG a predictable deer slayer at longer distances, say past 100 yards or so? No, I do not think so. Much deadlier up close in my opinion.

Jack
    ire up the grill; deer hunting IS NOT catch and release!

Wrangler
    Member #

6PT-SIKA - "When I shot the deer last season with the 41 , I shot each twice with no apperent effect ( as if you had missed ) and later after skinning I found all shots to be where thet were aimed"
    __________________________________________________ __________

6Pt-Sika, I'm curious as to the bullet you used in your .41 Mag. that didn't seem to have an effect on two different deer??

I've killed two medium sized Mule deer with my 1894S .41 Mag., and they both went down before I could shoot again.

One was about 85/90 yards away. Used a Remington factory 210 grains JHP cartridge. Broadside, shattered a rib and lungs, and the mushroomed bullet was just under the skin on the far side.

The other was between 90/100 yards away. I used my handload of a 220 grains Keith Style SWC hardcast/G.C. by Joe Penny, with 22 grains of H110. About the same placement but the bullet was through-and-through so did not recover it.

My 1894S has a Williams 5D receiver sight on it.

Thanks. L.W.
    Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces."

Sidewinder
    Member #

I know the pistol calibers out of a rifle are almost a different animal. While one might think a .357 "iffy" from a handgun, the rifles are a different story.

Here's a comparison of energy from pistols and rifles:

Muzzle Energy (ft/lbs)

Load Revolver Rifle % increase
    357 mag Fed 180 jhp 475 960 102%
    357 mag Win 158 jsp 535 1175 119%
    .41 mag Win 240 Plat. 833 1784 114%
    .44 mag Fed 240 jhp 740 1650 123%
    .44 mag Rem 240 sjhp 721 1650 129%

Average gain of 117%

Energy @ 100 yards (ft/lbs)

Load Revolver Rifle % increase
    357 mag Fed 180 jhp 320 535 67%
    357 mag Win 158 jsp 361 715 98%
    .41 mag Win 240 Plat. 616 1180 92%
    .44 mag Fed 240 jhp 550 1015 85%
    .44 mag Rem 240 sjhp 543 1015 87%

Average gain of 86%

I'd feel comfortable with a .357 rifle to 100 yards, and a .41 or .44 to 150 yards.
    se too much gun.

Numbah 80

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links