+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

best sights for 1894

so glad I found this site it has been helpful.I just aquired a 1894 44mag but I would like to change the rear site to a peep can anyone recomend a good one.

Deadeye
    Member #

Re: best sights for 1894

Check out the Skinners Sights section in the 'Industry Partners" section of the forum farther down the page. I have one of his peeps on my 1894 44 mag and 39AS and am well satisfied with them.

Quite a few folks here use them.

My 1894

Regards, TallGrass

Deadeye
    Member #

The skinner sights are tough and there is nothing wrong with them other than they are not easily adjustable for range and windage. A tang mounted sight allows you to shoot as you want as long as you riser is high enough. Also the aperature is right there at your eye and the sight radius as long as it can be. Aperatures are also interchageable.

Tang sights also look right on a lever gun.

I changed my front sight such that 4 clicks off bottom is dead on at 50, 10 is dead on at 100. after that it really starts to vary with the different ammunition but there are almost 90 more clicks of adjustment all up, if you wanted to play at a longer range then you could change the riser. Its nice to be able to adjust windage and elevation out to 300 yards and simply aim at the target.

PS you can also put a folding leaf in the rear dovetail and use the leaf with the tand folded down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Texas Lever Gunners
    Team 1894 #212
    Team 45-70 #730

Tinhorn
    Member #

One word - SKINNER. I prefer the Lo-Pro myself. Have them on three and wouldn't trade em for the world. Tangs are very nice, but with a realistic 100 yard gun, expensive and unnecessary. The Skinners defy our normal logic, you get 10 times more than you pay for, and 1,000 times more when you factor in the customer service.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Tang sights are ok but with my 1894fg and Skinner lo pro peep sight I have mine sighted in for maximum point blank range or MPBR for my loads I shoot. I sight in at a distance that will keep my shot within 2 inches above or below my line of sight and that will do for deer size critters even coyote out to about 150 yds. Each load is different and you have to calculate and sight in for that load but some differing loads will stay within that range. That way I don't have to adjust for different distances, I just aim and shoot. You can calculate different loads for even greater ranges if you have good eyes with a 3 inch above or below MPBR. But my eyes are only good for less than 180 yds or so, anything past that distance gets to blurred.

I am getting a Skinner sight for my 39a and cant wait to see how it looks and shoots.
    "Better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have one" talking about a gun; John Wayne

NRA member
    Marlin 1894FG 41 mag, 1894CL 218 Bee, 39a, 882ss, Model 20 pump
    Ruger BH 41 mag.

Member #

I had the Skinner peep sight made for the 1894 and liked it a lot, but then decided to put an XS scout mount which uses one of the holes that the Skinner was using so the Skinner had to go. What I found out since from Parsons is that a Skinner made for a 336/1895 will also fit on the 1894 and the advantage of those is that they just use the 2 rear receiver holes, leaving the front pair free, so if you ever might think you would want an XS scout mount, then I would suggest getting the one made for the 1895. That is what I am going to order so when I just want the peep I can remove the scope and have it there sighted in and ready to shoot.
    1895 45-70 GS, 1894 45 Colt
    Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. Henry 22LR Frontier
    Rossi M-92 454 Casull

"When I hold you in my arms
    and I feel my finger on your trigger
    I know nobody can do me no harm"..

JM, RIP..

Member #

GYRHED:

Whose tang sight did you use?

Thanks!

Ed
    The more I learn, the more I learn there is to learn,
    Like..... Never play leapfrog with a Unicorn;
    Also......If you can't take the heat ... DON'T tickle the dragon.

NRA Life
    Team 1894 Member #8
    Wyoming Dinger Ringer Association 1,000 Yard Club

Wrangler
    Member #

Marble Tang. Windage and elevation adjustable. Comes with three sight inserts and a long tang screw for mounting. One drill and tap needed. Works great. Traditional looks.
    "You've failed to maintain your weapon."
    Harry Brown.

Deadeye
    Member #

I started out with a standard set of XS ghost ring sights and liked them. I shortly after found out they made a threaded aperture that would accept Williams apertures. I got the threaded unit and a three piece set of Williams Twilight apertures, very pleased with this setup.

I got the Marbel's tang for my '47 39A for Christmas, and love that too.

Best of luck with your choice!
    Best Regards to All,
    Walt
    Team 1894 #16
    Team 39 #23
    Team 60 #2
    '02 1894SS
    '47 39A
    '08 39A
    '94 60W
    2011 XT22

Deadeye
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rockridge
    GYRHED:

Whose tang sight did you use?

Thanks!

Ed
    I used Marbles as well but instead of using the one listed for the cowboy (the sortest one) I used the standard riser. The short one was almost fully extended with the cowboy's front sight (.5" w/ 3/32" bead) but the standard would not go down enough to sight in at 100yrds. I changed the front to the tallest Marbels sight I beleive it was .52" and used a 1/16" bead. this put me dead on at 50 yrds with only like 3-4 clicks from the bottom. its about 10 clicks from the bottom to dead on at 100 and there is still like 90 more clicks left for playing around at longer ranges.

I like to shoot 300-400 yards with iron sights around people that have never done it.

Texas Lever Gunners
    Team 1894 #212
    Team 45-70 #730

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links