+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

.357 @100-150 Yards- Load Data with Unique Powder

I assume .357 would be more suitable than .38 for targets at 100-150 yards. Can lead bullets be effective for this? I have a lot of Unique powder and would like some suggestions for bullet weight and brands using this powder.

Also is it even worthwhile to use .38 Special at this range?

I will be using a 1894C carbine.

GLC
    Wrangler
    Member #

I'd save the lead 38's for short range plinking. If you really want a 150 yard capable 1894CS, it pretty much has to be using 357 mag loads. I have only shot a few lead 38's out of my 1894's, mostly just to shoot up an odd round or two laying around. The ballistics of the 38 are pretty poor which would make the long shots difficult. Some have also reported that shooting a lot of lead 38's leave a ring of lead in the chamber due to the bullet jump. This then may impede the loading and shooting of a full length 357 load. Loading the lead bullets in 357 cases with 38 special powder loads might be one way to get around this problem.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt

Sidewinder
    Member #

Jacketed or Lead

That makes sense. Is it better to use jacketed or lead bullets for this type of shooting? Are some bullet weights better than others?

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

Hard to beat the 158gns bullets in cast or otherwise. For them distances go with a gaschecked bullet in cast. This will give you better accuracy when upping the charges to shoot 100yds and beyond. It can be done without the gaschecks no doubt, but easier with them. The jacketed would be better for these distances depending on your targets, if it's steel your looking to shoot the cast would be a better option. Just my opine.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

GLC
    Wrangler
    Member #

I really prefer 158 grain jacketed bullets for long range high velocity loads. Bulk Remington 158 JHP's are readily available and pretty cheap. I've shot plenty of Hornady 158 XTP's and they are really accurate but more expensive. Remington also makes a 180 JHP which it sells in bulk. These are really accurate although loose a lot of velocity at long range and have more drop.

Like Swany says, you can use your lead bullets, just watch the velocity or leading may occur which will ruin your accuracy and make clean up a pain. Use gas checks for the fast loads. Lead shoots fine with the right loads, it just has some limitations.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt

Sidewinder
    Member #

With the barrel length of the 1894C what is the top velocity of the 158 grain cast bullet before leading is likely to occur? Is Unique powder suitable for these?

GLC
    Wrangler
    Member #

Its hard to say exactly when leading will occur. It depends on velocity and the hardness of the lead bullet you are shooting. Generally, its about 1300-1500 fps or so. Gas checks would cut down on leading and let you get to a higher velocity. Switch to jacketed bullets and forget all about leading.

My Alliant powder book shows 6.8 grains of Unique with a 158 lead bullet giving a velocity of 1250 fps from a 5.5" barrel. The same load would be faster out of a rifle since the longer barrel gives more time for the pressure to act on the bullet giving more velocity.

The same Alliant book shows 6.8 grains of Unique giving 1195 with a jacketed bullet in the same 5.5" barrel. Jacketed bullets are usually slower than lead given similar powder charges.

With magnum type powders (2400, H110, Lil'gun) velocities of 1600+ can easily be reached in a rifle length barrel. This is what "flattens" out the trajectory making those long distance hits easier.

If all you have right now is Unique and lead, by all means give it a try. Experimenting is part of the fun of shooting and reloading.

Good shooting.

Sidewinder
    Member #

How about IMR-4227? My Lyman manual lists this powder both for .357 rifle and pistol. I will be shooting at metal plates about 165 yards. Would the Remington 158 jacketed be OK? I will be placing an order with Midway soon.

GLC
    Wrangler
    Member #

Yes, although I have not used it before, IMR-4227 is a frequently used magnum powder. Consult a book for the proper starting load. The Remington 158 JHP's are excellent bullets.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

My experience with 357 (& other pistol cartridge chambered) rifles is to use a slower burning powder and make the most of the longer barrel. I tend to use Alliant 2400.

Willy
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links