1894 Octagon in 44 Magnum with 20 inch Barrel.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

1894 Octagon in 44 Magnum with 20 inch Barrel.

I have been lurking here for a while until I decided to get my 1894 out a couple of weeks ago so I could get serious about its use. Some things have changed in my life so I am hoping to get in some hunting this year with these 44’s I have, and figured I would start with this one. After playing with it and shooting about 50 rounds I have several questions for everyone here.

The serial number is 2700XXXX. What year was this rifle made? Were there quite a few of these made, or are they somewhat rare? I was told this was a 1973 rifle, and that they were only made for one year. Is there any truth to that? Is this a Micro groove barrel?

The barrel is marked “44 Rem. Magnum.” All the other Marlins I have ever looked at are always marked "Magnum" and "Special." Can I shoot Specials in this one even though it is not marked as such?

I have shot several loads with varying results. One load keyholed, but most were accurate in my opinion. The load that keyholed was a 240 LSWC that measures 0.428 at the front driving band.

The different loads shot groups at 25 yards with the factory open sights as small as ¾ inches, and as large as 1 ¼ inches. Is this great, dismal, or somewhere in between? I am certain I can tighten those groups up with some practice on this particular rifle, but what is the standard for this type set up?

All loads shot low, and one load even shot 2 inches low, and 2 inches to the left. I am using the same hold and distance which gives me good consistency with group size, but the actual location of where each load shoots can change drastically.

The W-W 240 JSP shot 1 inch low but inline with the POA, the GA Arms 240 LSWC @ 1,100 fps shot 2 inches low and 2 inches left, and the W-W 250 Silvertip HP shot 2 inches low but inline with the POA. How is it possible to have this much variation in where the actual group goes?

Thanks in advance to everyone. This is fast becoming a habit.

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: 1894 Octagon in 44 Magnum with 20 inch Barrel.

Welcome to the forum, TNRat!

1973 is correct for the birth year. As to rarity, I have no idea.

Most 44's I've dealt with handle Magnums and Specials interchangeably, but some are more finicky than others. My stainless 44 likes them both, laps 'em up and spits 'em out just fine. My 357 Marlin will NOT feed shorter rounds, period.

Your accuracy sounds pretty typical, but a better test would be at 50 or 75 yards. Small variations won't show up at the closer ranges. As for the different points of impact with different loads, well, that's the nature of the beast. I can't explain why one load shoots to the left, when the others don't. Just another reason to find a load the gun shoots well, and adjust the sights to get it zeroed for that load.

As habits go, this one is a lot more fun than most.
    “If the Senate needs an expert to speak at the hearings on meddling in another country’s elections, they should subpoena Barack Obama.” —twitter satirist @weknowwhatsbest

Sidewinder
    Member #

I have one of these and if I recall correctly less than 3000. Check the refernece section on this site.
    39A Golden Lever
    1894 Carbine .357
    1894 Octagon .44
    375 .375
    336A .30-30

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Found the below in the reference section. While less than 3,000 is not extremely rare, in relation to overall Marlin production that is not a huge number.

1894 Octagon: 1973 (2,957) 44 Magnum
    20" Octagon Barrel

Contributing Member
    Member #

Welcome to the site. I'd love to see a pic.
    "Fast is good but accurate is final"...Wyatt Earp

JEEP...There's only one

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Welcome to MOs from NE Florida, TNRat. Glad to have you with us. What PJ said.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thanks to everyone. I will be getting some pics up as soon as I have some transfer issues worked out over the next couple of weeks.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links