+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Butt cuff ammo holder

I'm shopping around for a leather butt cuff ammo holder, but recently read that the brass casings will corrode when rounds are kept in the loops for an extended period of time. Is there a way to prevent this, or does anyone use a leather curing method that doesn't react with the brass? The cuff will be for my 1894C, which I plan to use as a home defense carbine, so I'd like to have extra ammo ready on the gun.

I'm open to a nylon holder, too, but don't care for the flexible versions.

BTW, don't have kids in the room when you do a Google search for "butt cuff" .

JohnnyLoco

Re: Butt cuff ammo holder

Buy a Galco and don't worry about it.

Shoot the rounds and replace them every few years, don't worry about it

I've never seen them corrode, only tarnish

The 94C hold plenty of rounds for defense

Even the best cuffs loosen and slide foward on straight stocks

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Contributing Member
    Member #

I love the look and feel of leather, but for me the nylon shellholders made more sense. Plain brass rounds will tarnish if left in leather, so that's not your best option for a Home Defense gun. I caught a sale at Midway awhile back and got these for around $4 each, but they are NOT a perfect solution. Everything with more recoil than the 357 Magnum will make the cuff slide up the stock toward the wrist. I cut a slit in the lower edge, and let the sling stud poke through to hold it in place, but on all the other guns they still slide around. I thought about putting a couple of tacks or staples through the nylon to hold it in place, but never did, I don't want to mar the stock. Maybe putting the south end of the cuff under the buttplate would hold it. Might be worth a try.

"There is a fine line between a hobby and Mental Illness". Dave Barry

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847
    Team 375 #27

Sidewinder
    Member #

An idea about the nylon cuffs:

I haven't tried this, but what about putting some of that no-slip shelf liner material under it? The kind that you out and a shelf or in a drawer, or under a rug to keep it from slipping?

The only ways around the corrosion are using nickle plated brass or maybe someone will make the loops out of canvas web material. I've seen some gun belts done this way, but I don't know about a but cuff. It should be doeable.

Wrangler
    Member #

Just found a NIB that the store will trade for $100 difference with my NIB Rossi 92 44 Rem mag and I am to pick it up today. How accurate are they anyway? Also was told by the guy at the gun shop that the the little ported beauty is not legal to use in Cowboy Action shoots. Is that true? The shop has had this gun couple of years so a friend was telling me, because he looked at several times and almost bought the rifle but was scared off by the ported barrel. The out right cash sale price was $600 the shop guy told me, but said if my 92 is NIB he would trade for $100 difference and I left a $100 with him and will take him the 92 with the box this morning.

I gave $450 for the 92 back in April and as yet not fired it due to all the bad weather and being sick a lot.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just shoot you.
    1894C
    1894P
    981T
    70PSS

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Isn't that a little spendy for an ammo holder?

Tinhorn
    Member #

As mentioned above, poking a hole in the cuff allows the stud and swivel to hold my nylons cuffs solidly in place.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Groo here
    Now you know why the shells made in cop calibers were nickel plated.
    We used leather loops on our belts.

Wrangler
    Member #

I use the nylon loops on my 1895 45/70 and cut the hole in for the sling stud, works fine. Howumsoever, I'm saving my nickels for one of Levergun's leather butt covers with his incredible artistry on one side. He made a knife sheath for my dad's WWII Marble combat knife that was custom and just outstanding. Check out his work. As the man says.... Recommended!

Levergun's Leather Works: ( www.levergunleather.com )
    Aim Small, Miss Small

"...As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson

Team 45/70 #96
    Team 39A #42

Cruce, dum spiro, fido, Deo duce, ferro comitante-
    ("While I breathe, I trust the cross, with God as my leader and my sword as my companion"
    )

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn
    I love the look and feel of leather, but for me the nylon shellholders made more sense. Plain brass rounds will tarnish if left in leather, so that's not your best option for a Home Defense gun. I caught a sale at Midway awhile back and got these for around $4 each, but they are NOT a perfect solution. Everything with more recoil than the 357 Magnum will make the cuff slide up the stock toward the wrist. I cut a slit in the lower edge, and let the sling stud poke through to hold it in place, but on all the other guns they still slide around. I thought about putting a couple of tacks or staples through the nylon to hold it in place, but never did, I don't want to mar the stock. Maybe putting the south end of the cuff under the buttplate would hold it. Might be worth a try.

Get some of that velcro tape PJ.
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links