+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Skinner ladder sight on 1894S

This is a cross post. I thought it would be worth it

Quote Originally Posted by alukban
    I got mine this weekend - have not yet shot it. I had requested that the mount holes be moved rearward as far back as possible to minimize the amount of overhang on the 1894.

I think it looks great - am dying to shoot it!

Thanks you Timski!

PS. 16-1/4" barreled 1894S in .45 Colt.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: Skinner ladder sight on 1894S

Looks great. Thanks For the pics, Ive been considering one of those sights.
    Daryl P.

Contributing Member
    Member #

Did you have to change your front sight?
    "Fast is good but accurate is final"...Wyatt Earp

JEEP...There's only one

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Awsome sight! I want one!!!! Is it still Special order? For I don't see it on his sight. How much is?

Thanks,
    Rifleman 336

Tenderfoot
    Member #

With the ladder sight folded down, can you use the barrel mounted open sight?

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

I put one on my 336 and didn't even hit paper. Have fun...
    - Travis
    Single action revolvers, Marlin and Winchester leverguns, and Mosin Nagants.

Team 30-30 #158
    Team 1894 #61
    Team 39 #113
    Team Bikers #14 SO
    Team Mauser Co-Captain

America was founded by tough hell raisers, rugged American citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer and moonshine, and smuggled weapons; it will be saved only by those who do the same today.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn View Post
    I hate living in interesting times.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

What do you mean you put one on and didnt even hit paper? If I follow you right you mean you put the ladder sight on and with it lowered all the way and using the original fron sight you were not on paper? Maybe high? Reason I ask is I like the looks of the sight and am thinking of putting one on my 336 maybe. Thanks Tman
    Daryl P.

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Drail57
    What do you mean you put one on and didnt even hit paper? If I follow you right you mean you put the ladder sight on and with it lowered all the way and using the original fron sight you were not on paper? Maybe high? Reason I ask is I like the looks of the sight and am thinking of putting one on my 336 maybe. Thanks Tman
    Daryl P.
    I'm not quite sure. I've put at least 15 rounds through my 336 with it and didn't even touch the paper. Seemed to me it was always too high, but I never got around to getting a taller front sight. Keep in mind this was at 50 yards, but I didn't touch paper at 100 either. I tried it on my 1894cb, while I hit paper, I was better with the factory buck horns.

EDIT: Keep in mind guys, I'm not knocking Tim's stuff. The sight was a quality made sight, I just didn't like it. Didn't really fit my shooting style and I didn't have time to mess with the rifle to get it shooting like it should.
    - Travis
    Single action revolvers, Marlin and Winchester leverguns, and Mosin Nagants.

Team 30-30 #158
    Team 1894 #61
    Team 39 #113
    Team Bikers #14 SO
    Team Mauser Co-Captain

America was founded by tough hell raisers, rugged American citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer and moonshine, and smuggled weapons; it will be saved only by those who do the same today.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn View Post
    I hate living in interesting times.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

The sights have the mount holes shifted towards the butt an extra ~0.2" so that the overhang over the hammer is minimised. There was no extra charge from Timski but you will have to ask him for the current prices...

The sight is not listed on his web site but they are available and discussed extensivley in the "Industry Partners" forum:
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,25486.0.html

You can see the factory leaf rear sight when the ladder is folded down. This pic is with the factory leaf rear at its highest position:

Bear in mind that my rifle has a 16.25" barrel and it is in .45 Colt. With that said ("YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY!!"), I have only sighted it in with the factory leaf sights at 50 feet using 250 gr Oregon Trail RNFP bullets over about 9.6 gr of Unique. This load goes about 950 fps out of a Ruger Vaquero and about 35% faster out of the 16.25" barrel (maybe ~1250 fps). The rear sight has 2 more notches from the highest that they will go. With the ladder sights on and using the factory leaf sights as a guide for centering, bottoming out the ladder sights still puts it higher than my current factory leaf setting. I would need about another ~0.10" lower to get them to be coincident.

The load I plan on making for this rifle however is going to be the 270 gr RCBS Keith bullet on top of 12 gr of Unique for something shooting as fast as almost 1600 fps. I expect the POI to rise and therefore expect to need to lower the rear sight some more. My current front sight height is about 0.78 above the center of the bore. I think I may go for something ~1" height above the center of the bore. That is an increase of about 0.2" in front sight height.

These pics are with the factory rear sight at its highest setting and the ladder sight at its lowest:

Again, YMMV. This is what I am experiencing with my gun. I will post what I find when I finally set my stuff up though. It's so much "work", but SOMEBODY haaaaaas to do it

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #

Tim's done a great job refining that prototype into what you received. The original looked a little clunky. Maybe it is just the black finish but this one looks more compact than the first photo I saw early this year.

I too don't like the overhang. I wonder if it could be set up with the mounting holes way forward and mount on the front set of scope mount holes. The sight radius would still be much longer than with std buckhorn sights. I was hoping to see a solution to the problem Tim noted early on of not having a way to use the ladder in the folded down position to shoot with too.
    Jeff

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."
    Willard Duncan Vandiver

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links