+ Reply to Thread

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

38 Special +P Loads for Deer

I have a 1894 Limited in 38 special and I am looking for a couple of 38 Special +P loads that would work for deer and hogs. This will not be my primary dear gun but it shoots so well and would be fun to take when I am walking around.

If anyone has a good load it would be appreciated.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should only be able to beat you to death with it because you have fired all your bullets.
    Marine Corp Parent - Toughest Job in the Corps
    NRA Member/SASS Member
    GSSF Member/GSSA Member
    Glock Armor/ Son of a POW

Member #

Oh well I guess no one shooting 38 +P loads.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should only be able to beat you to death with it because you have fired all your bullets.
    NRA Member/SASS Member
    GSSF Member/GSSA Member

Platinum Poster
    Member #

I don't ever recall anyone that does.. most are 44mag and up .. but you could be starting a trend :lol:
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Member #

I would think it should work fine if the shots were very close and in a boney vital area, say head or neck. I am sure millions of deer have been taken with less (22s and the like) Not my first choice but if it was what I had, I could see it happening.

Papalote
    11 Team 444

Gunfighter
    Member #

It ain't something I would use for a walking around gun, but it would do just fine from a tree stand. Walking around shots are almost always jump shots where you hit them where you can in the second or two you have to shoot. Tree stand shots are almost always at stationary targets at short range.

Iffen I was gonna do it, I'd load 12 grains of 2400 behind a 150-160 grain cast bullet, SWC or LBT type. That's a stout load, over current book, but lower than many of us have used for many years from older data. It's plenty safe in an 1894, but I'd rather not have any find their way into a lightframe .38 Special.
    hen you hear hoofbeats, look for horses, not zebras.

Member #

Leftoverdj,

That is very close to some loads that I use in my 357. Thanks I will work up to that in my 38 special and you are right I also have 3 45-70s and three 30-30s that I should walk with but this gun is so much fun to shoot and matched up with one of my ruger pistols it is just plain fun to carry. Since I kill a couple a year hunting off the ground it will be a challenge to take one with this fun gun.
    NRA Member/SASS Member
    GSSF Member/GSSA Member

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

For years before anyone thought of +P loads, the go to firearm in the military and police enforcement for a man stopper was the .38 special. With the advent of +P, and newer bullets, if it will stop a man 200LB plus, it will stop a deer. The .22 rimfire when applied to the right spot has stopped many deer and larger. In your hands, you have to know whether it is a good weapon or not. Me all of my shooting unless load development is done off hand, I use a lean, tree limb ect when game hunting, but all my practice is without that. Lot of folks will say the .38 is not enough gun for deer and pack a .380 for personal defense? Brings me to mind of what I used to pack when driving swamps in my younger days, 1911 Colt. Many deer got dropped by that .45 ACP using hardball. Somehow I got away from using that, but it worked in my hands.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Wrangler
    Member #

I'll be honest, even +P loads in .38 Special are marginal for deer and hogs. Yes, they might work, but then they might not.
    I am sure you are a fine shot, and you would limit the range you attempt to take game. IMHO, using that cartridge would put a limit of about 25 to thirty yards on the rifle.
    Mannlicher-Schoenauer

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

May the Bonnie Blue wave forever

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links